Space Jockey........Engineer or something else?

Started by palerider, Jun 26, 2017, 04:56:42 PM

Author
Space Jockey........Engineer or something else? (Read 29,692 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

He big af fam

426Buddy

426Buddy

So what are we thinking actual sizes are here then? 14-15ft with child actors i hear, maybe 12-13ft with adult actors  and 9-10ft in prometheus?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I guess the actual size of the original Jockey is a problem since there's a continuity goof, but I guess the intention to show its size with the children overrides that ie it was purposedly shot with the actual actors only in close-ups. I'd say somewhere in the 15 feet range

the Engineers in Prometheus are clearly not beyond 8 ft

windebieste

Engineer.  Not a retcon.

This was always going to be a problem once resolved.  Deal with it.

Engineer. 

It's not the same character.

If the Space Jockey and the Engineer seen in 'PROMETHEUS' were the same character, there would be an issue.  As they are not, any argument about size is completely disqualified.

It's not the same spacecraft. 

The vehicle we see in 'ALIEN' is left out in the open, corroded and eroded.  The pilot has been dead for anywhere between 10 months to 10,000 years.  We don't know.  The Juggernaut in 'PROMETHEUS' was a secure vehicle unlaunched and garaged in a hanger against the elements.  Very different conditions apply here.  Just leave your car outside in a car park for 10 years and compare it one that's been warehoused in a garage. 

Besides, what's to stop the Engineers from upgrading their space faring technology?  We've gone from steam to electric and diesel and trains still look much alike as they did when first invented.  Ships... cars...  tech changes but function defines form.

Finally, they engineered us, right:

So why can't the Engineers have extreme differences in sizes too..?  Answer that one, Ding-dong* :P

-Windebieste.

*That is, anyone who has proof the Engineers only come in one size and flavor.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

or much more simply, it's creative license... the same way Fincher used the cryotubes from Alien instead of the ones from Aliens on the Sulaco, etc

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 27, 2017, 12:04:17 AMI guess the actual size of the original Jockey is a problem since there's a continuity goof...

I would point out an acquired continuity goof in the design of the chair....

SM

Dumb joke is dumb.

ChrisPachi

Grumpy grumps.

Evanus

If the space jockey turns out to be David I'm gonna riot. And laugh my ass off.

windebieste

You'll be joined by most of the Community if  that event transpires.  I doubt that's where it's all heading. 

...but we don't know yet.  So keep yer ass nailed securely in place just in case, I say.

-Windebieste.

Evanus

Yep! Let's just hope for the best. At this point I'd be fine with it just being an engineer. But a human or an android? Nope.

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2017, 12:45:49 AM
Dumb joke is dumb.
The jokes not dumb, those stubby little arms is the joke.

SM

If the Engineer stretched his arms out the same way the Jockey has he could reach the sticks.

If there were any sticks to reach.

Different ship.  Dumb joke.

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2017, 01:50:15 AM
If the Engineer stretched his arms out the same way the Jockey has he could reach the sticks.

If there were any sticks to reach.

Different ship.  Dumb joke.
Everything comes out of the ship to join up with the Jockey suit... why can't the "handles" do the same thing. One size fits all?

Different ship, different jockey. Now we just gotta wait for the punchline.

SM

SM

"Same shit."

QuoteOne size fits all?

I don't know.  Does it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed