Noah Hawley speaks at Austin Film Festival

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Oct 28, 2023, 10:43:56 AM

Author
Noah Hawley speaks at Austin Film Festival (Read 9,863 times)

Immortan Jonesy

We should create a ralfymeter :-X

ralfy

It looks like I have to dumb down. How's this?

The first movie is scary because the monster isn't shown fully until the end.

Because they already did that, then they couldn't repeat it for the second movie because audiences already knew more about the alien. So they used action involving many aliens.

They couldn't do that as well for the third movie. So they did a procedural: how do we kill and/or capture the monster without weapons? It's not the same as the first movie because audiences already know about the monster.

They couldn't do that for the fourth movie, so they used political intrigue: the company falls apart, the military takes over, they end up with all sorts of weird experiments (like cloning and mutations), and mercs come in, kidnapping civilians, etc.

Decades later, they realized that most people expected to watch new movies are young and had never seen nor heard about the first four movies, so they decide to kill several birds with one stone: come up with something new by looking at the origins of the alien, etc., and then reboot the franchise. However, borrow from the first four movies things that worked, like a crew landing on a rock and exploring and having a heroine who looks like Ripley.

Given all that, what happens now? It looks like Hawley wants to continue this, i.e., don't repeat what was done before. Given what he said in the interview, it looks like he wants to focus on human drama involving not only the alien but also AI, the company, etc.

Scott Conover

Quote from: ralfy on Nov 22, 2023, 12:54:48 AMIt looks like I have to dumb down.

You weren't already doing that with all your posts?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Scott Conover on Nov 22, 2023, 12:10:15 PM
Quote from: ralfy on Nov 22, 2023, 12:54:48 AMIt looks like I have to dumb down.

You weren't already doing that with all your posts?

No. Ralfy believes that his posts are such obvious and solid fact that the entire internet disagreeing with him is just proof of his lonely, perfect genius (David8.gif) and we swine cannot appreciate his pearls.

Corporal Hicks

Come on, move on folk.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed