Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 124,443 times)

SM

SM

Assuming they didn't change the dates, the relevant passages of the CMTM occur a couple of months after this.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: SM on May 04, 2018, 06:47:57 AM
Assuming they didn't change the dates, the relevant passages of the CMTM occur a couple of months after this.

I actually just checked that. While Dorian's initial stuff begins in July of 2179, his arrival at The Cold Forge is slated for one year later, meaning that the rest of the book takes place in July of 2180.

SM

SM

I originally thought that, but the dates aren't supposed to match with the first chapter.  After the first chapter, everything takes place over the course of about a week towards the end of July 2179.  The first chapter happens in 2178.

HybridNewborn

Hmm, okay, you appear to be correct on that count. Ah well, nevermind then.

HuDaFuK

Went to get this yesterday, sadly the bookshop didn't have it in. They're ordered it in for me though. Here's hoping I have more luck than I did with Dead Orbit :laugh:

HybridNewborn

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 04, 2018, 07:37:25 AM
Went to get this yesterday, sadly the bookshop didn't have it in. They're ordered it in for me though. Here's hoping I have more luck than I did with Dead Orbit :laugh:

I started reading the kindle version while I waited for my paperback to arrive :P

HuDaFuK

I'm a miserable old man, can't stand digital readers lol. Should be in by the start of next week and I'm actually in the middle of a book at the moment, so I can wait :)

SM

SM

I was a curmudgeon about e-readers for ages, mostly because what I was reading them on was rubbish, but I converted for good when Sea of Sorrows came out. The books are are less than half the cost, you can keep a stack on an Ipad or access them on other devices, and the indexing makes it easier for research purposes.

Local Trouble

Quite.

HuDaFuK

I definitely get why they're far more convenient. I just don't like using them. I've read a couple of ebooks on my dad's Kindle (chiefly stuff that's a pain to get in physical form) and I much prefer holding an actual book.

Local Trouble

It's time to let go of your silly books with their...paper...and join the 21st century.

HuDaFuK

I just like having a physical thing.

Same with music or films. Digital downloads are so much easier, but I like to have an actual CD/DVD/Blu-ray on my shelf that I can hold in my hand.

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 04, 2018, 10:49:45 AM

Same with music or films. Digital downloads are so much easier, but I like to have an actual CD/DVD/Blu-ray on my shelf that I can hold in my hand.

Nothing wrong with being a "Giles"  :laugh:  Sometimes a dusty old book is better as you will always have that copy (unless you destroy it), whereas things can get deleted unexpectedly from devices and they are prone to have problems.

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 04, 2018, 09:11:59 AM
It's time to let go of your silly books with their...paper...and join the 21st century.

And I guess this makes you the "Miss Calander" with the trying to convert others to the digital age and all :laugh:

Seriously though, I actually think both are good for their own reasons, whether its preference, convience and usefulness.
I use both. I like the books but if I am doing research or multitasking then having it digitally comes in handy and it does not take up any physical space, I can't count how many times I have run out of shelf room.  :P

SM

SM

I find music and movies are different.  You can rip them to a computer and you still have the physical copy.  I can't listen to digital music in my car so have to listen to a CD.  And I'm a bit dubious about the quality of digital downloads.  If I rip a CD I can pick the quality.  Plus there's liner notes, extras, Blu-ray quality etc.

You can't easily rip a novel.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 04, 2018, 06:28:07 AM
In regards to where the eggs come from, I'm just taking the events of the narrative parts of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual into consideration...

I asked Alex about this during our chat and it was something he had thought about it. Just didn't know where to fit it into the book.

I'm the same. I can't stand reading on an e-reader. I get all the ways that they're really handy but for me, it just not the same without something actually in my hands, feeling the pages turn.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed