Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, Feb 14, 2010, 05:34:49 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 88,381 times)

LogansFolly

LogansFolly

Quote from: Puks on Feb 19, 2010, 09:10:49 AM
So what? Playing the demo and reading a lot of reviews gives a pretty good overall knowledge of the game's quality.

And you're saying this like XenoRad's criticism is totally inappropriate.

so you just gonna live your life only doing/liking what otherts tell you?

what about all the good reviews, of which, there are more?

Puks

Puks

I'm going to get the game tomorrow, does that make you feel more secure?  ::)

LogansFolly

LogansFolly

Quote from: Puks on Feb 19, 2010, 02:09:34 PM
I'm going to get the game tomorrow, does that make you feel more secure?  ::)

Do what you like.... i thought you had made yor mind up.... why waist your pennies?

XenoRad

XenoRad

Yes, on hard difficulty the Aliens are very resistant to pulse rifle bullets. I believe they can take at the least 30 bullets to the head before dying. In any case for most of them I was mostly spending half a clip to take them down. Also the flamethrower is still pretty useless. It's better than in AVP 1 in terms of damage (though this time it doesn't seem to keep the Aliens away) but even so light an Alien up and spend the next 5-10 seconds dodging it while it burns down. Add to this the ability to only carry 2 weapons (except the pistol) and well it would rank pretty low on anyone's list.

Spoiler
Another gripe about weapons and such came to me while I was fighting Bishop on hard. Every time I tried that fight he kept coming straight towards me continuously firing his shotgun. Using either the smartgun or pulse rifle there was no way to keep him from getting close and killing me. Eventually I gave up and restarted on easy where he was more hesitant.
[close]

Puks

Puks

USE. THE. F**KING. SPOILER. TAG.  >:(

Ghost Rider LSOV

Ghost Rider LSOV

Ditto on the spoiler tag...

LogansFolly

LogansFolly

Quote from: Puks on Feb 19, 2010, 02:21:33 PM
USE. THE. F**KING. SPOILER. TAG.  >:(

I agree....

XenoRad

XenoRad

Sorry, fixed!

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Puks on Feb 19, 2010, 01:31:05 PM
What? Throwing ARNIE around like a rag doll is not evidence of super strength?

It fits pretty neatly within the realm of human capability. Your average dude certainly has no chance, but it's certainly not impossible for a strongman.

Quote from: Puks on Feb 19, 2010, 01:31:05 PMIt makes no sense at all. As you said, aliens are super strong creatures capable of taring through steel doors, why would a human stop their attacks with a pulse rifle (or even better - with a pathetic little pistol)?

Firstly, however strong Aliens are, they're still subject to any force applied to them. If you smack it across the face with a heavy rifle, it's going to recoil, even if you don't deal any actual structural damage to it. Blocking their attacks is a bit bogus, sure, but at least it's only some of their attacks and it's justified by the gameplay mechanics present in the game.
I spent more time in SP preventing them from attacking by causing them to recoil due to bullet damage in any case.

Quote from: Puks on Feb 19, 2010, 01:31:05 PMI like my aliens fast and strong as hell, but not resistant to explosive armour piercing rounds.

But they're not resistant - just highly resilient. Structural perfection and all that.

safetyman

safetyman

Lol at spoiler. I was having trouble at the same part, dying over and over, there's a random element where mr x will miss you, I finally just got lucky long enough to take him down.

Moody

Moody

I completed all the campaigns, and now I can truly say that this game is very average and I'm being generous.
Another dissapointment for me at least. Hope Colonial Marines will be better. So this will be my last post in the AVP3 game section.

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

OK so (possibly against my better judgement) I purchased the game. Does Chris have more money than common sense? Maybe.

First impression(s):

Some of the issues with the demo appear to be gone. For example it no longer feels like I am moving my mouse through molasses to move around, although the sensitivity is lower than I would expect from most FPS' since it is still maxed out. Performance just seems to be generally better, which is a good thing since I'm currently stuck with a gfx card that is just above minimum requirements for this game. Loading times are very reasonable.

I started out by playing the first Predator mission. One thing that I didn't notice in the demo, was that when using vision modes sounds are a bit distorted. Not to the extent of the movie vision modes but it was a nice touch. The first level is VERY linear and it feels very disappointing to have this fantastic jungle environment, only to be restricted to a narrow canyon path with a handful of trees dotted around.

The Predator focus jump mechanics are... unreliable. I'm assuming that my jumping around is being restricted by invisible barriers and such, because I don't seem to have the freedom that I should have. It's kind of weird that although you can use focus jump to leap 15ft vertically, you can't leap horizontally if there is so much as a railing or log blocking your path. Surely I can use my superhuman strength and agility to vault over a railing? I guess not.

The ability to distract marines with the voice mimicry is also disappointing on many levels. Firstly it is simply a method of moving a marine from A to B, and the marines seem to fall for it EVERY TIME. Secondly the voice clips that you play back seem to be picked at random and without context, for example you might distract them with "COME ON OUT YOU UGLY MOTHER f**kER!" and the marine will respond hilariously with "Rgr, coming over!" as if he had received a command from an officer...

Marines are quite happy to split up, and completely ignore the fact that their comrades are wandering off to investigate a voice that come from the middle of nowhere. Marine AI in general feels very clumsy, they seem to ignore pretty much everything, including friends being gutted 6 feet to their left and sometimes you can sprint and leap and even decloak/recloak quickly and they wont see you. Then other times they have EYES OF THE HAWK and can track you perfectly through the jungle and across rooftops.

The Alien AI seems better, since they appear to work together more than the marines. However, they don't always seem to act accordingly. 3 Aliens appear from the jungle, and I blast one with my plasma caster. What do the remaining Aliens do? Climb up and down surfaces while slooooowly attempting to circle me. I blast the second one, does the 3rd one seem particularly concerned? Nope, still quite happy to slowly crawl up and down a tree. Sometimes they even turn their back and try and crawl up a wall while I am in the process of clobbering them in melee.

Then sometimes they'll just rush the hell out of me and it actually gets interesting, but I can't figure out what influences their behaviour... assuming they have influences at all and aren't just following set routines. All that being said, the general experience of being a Predator is enjoyable for me since I'm such a Alien/Predator geek so I found the first level reasonably fun. On first impressions this game doesn't feel like it will have much replay value except maybe to unlock achievements.

Next I decided to give single player survival a try, and chose C-block as my map. The first thing I noticed was that this level was DARK and even though you have a shoulder lamp, it may as well be a scented candle for the difference it makes. I couldn't find any flares, not sure if they're restricted to campaign mode only. I hope not. At first I thought Rebellion had pulled a SERIOUS dick move with this map, as the area you start in is VERY small and I thought that maybe they were trying to pass off this one room as a whole map. Of course after you survive a few waves the level opens up a bit more giving you access to health packs and additional weapons. I didn't play for long so I don't know if the level continues to open up, or if that's it.

One thing I've realised, is that due to playing more "casual" FPS games like l4d, Killing Floor, Bioshock... my aim has gone to complete shit. These slippery Alien bastards can move like greased lightning and I was struggling to hit anything with "short controlled bursts" so just resorted to a lot of spray and pray (hurray for auto-tracking smartguns). Of course the dodgy AI can affect just how dangerous the Aliens are, sometimes they move extremely slowly even though I can quite clearly see them and am pumping rounds into their face.

Fighting off an Alien in melee felt easy... maybe a little too easy but if you get attacked by 2-3 you're pretty much f**ked and I enjoyed the feeling of being quite vulnerable, in contrast to the Predator who feels practically god-like. Acid was also a noticeable hazard, and I died more than once after blasting an Alien at point blank range and receiving an acid-bath for my troubles.

So far I feel that all my previous comments and opinions still stand, the game can be fun but it feels extremely generic and there is nothing that really makes it stand out above other FPS games, other than the fact it has Aliens and Predators in it. At the moment I'd give it a 5-6/10. I'm not particularly keen on venturing online because of the lack of dedicated servers, but I might try a few co-op survivor maps with my friends.

LogansFolly

LogansFolly

Quote from: Moody on Feb 19, 2010, 03:35:53 PM
I completed all the campaigns, and now I can truly say that this game is very average and I'm being generous.
Another dissapointment for me at least. Hope Colonial Marines will be better. So this will be my last post in the AVP3 game section.

Multiplayer..... no, ok then. You have played half the game.

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Feb 19, 2010, 03:37:56 PM
The ability to distract marines with the voice mimicry is also disappointing on many levels. Firstly it is simply a method of moving a marine from A to B, and the marines seem to fall for it EVERY TIME. Secondly the voice clips that you play back seem to be picked at random and without context, for example you might distract them with "COME ON OUT YOU UGLY MOTHER f**kER!" and the marine will respond hilariously with "Rgr, coming over!" as if he had received a command from an officer...

Marines are quite happy to split up, and completely ignore the fact that their comrades are wandering off to investigate a voice that come from the middle of nowhere. Marine AI in general feels very clumsy, they seem to ignore pretty much everything, including friends being gutted 6 feet to their left and sometimes you can sprint and leap and even decloak/recloak quickly and they wont see you. Then other times they have EYES OF THE HAWK and can track you perfectly through the jungle and across rooftops.

Exactly. I hate how stupid the AI is in this game.

-Sharky-

-Sharky-

Hi I'm new around here, so I thought I'd start this topic.

As I'm sure you guys already know, the new AVP game is out and it sure would be fun to see what the fans think of  this game so far.

Here's my thoughts on the game so far: Singleplayer: great atmosphere, good story, many various in game characters and the whole thing about being able to play through the game in three completely different ways which makes the game itself not too boring in the longer run at all.

Multiplayer: Same atmosphere as in SP, can be really intense if you play against good predator/aliens, good amount of various maps (survivor edition has 4 more maps than regular edition which are pretty good I must say) and the best part is probably all the 7 multiplayer modes which gives the MP a good variation and really makes sure that you won't get tired of it.

All in all I was rather surprised that SEGA/Rebellion managed to make a game that actually went far beyond my expectations, and yes they were pretty high.

Of course there are cons with this game as well but I don't intend to write my first post here flaming something I didn't even make myself....it would look stupid.

BTW English is not my native language, so pardon me if there's anything spelled wrong here.

-Sharky-

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed