Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 118,879 times)

Valaquen

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Jan 17, 2011, 02:23:10 AM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 17, 2011, 02:14:22 AM
With all due respect...nowhere did they say that this film wouldn't connect to the larger saga.

true... neither did they say that it would... all they said is that it is no longer an Alien film, only sharing its DNA...
I wouldn't mind a Space Jockey film, as opposed to a strictly Alien film.

chupacabras acheronsis

Vertigo

Quote from: Bishop2 on Jan 17, 2011, 04:45:45 AM
Like the movie or not, Alien vs. Predator gave both franchises a shot in the arm by providing a successful movie for the first time since f**king Aliens and Predator. Suddenly, there was the promise of new life for these franchises in the medium of film. Fox used that new energy, that new boost of success to give us AVP: Requiem and Predators. After that string of... well, however you felt about those, they were cheap and didn't exactly bring in phat cash.

Actually, every film in both series has made money, and usually a large amount of it - by far the smallest return came with Predator 2, which still made $22m more than its $35m production budget. Alien 3 tripled its budget in worldwide box office, Resurrection more than doubled (they both made about the same amount, curiously). AvP only made just over $10m more than those two.

robbritton

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but isn't the suggestion in the press release that the universe is the same, only it deals with different creatures? Thus, no Xenomorphs, but still the world the films took place in?

"The keen fan will recognize strands of 'Alien's' DNA, so to speak"

this suggests to me that things like Antarctica Traffic Control and Weyland-Yutani and fan-oriented trivia of the like will be getting mentions in order to root it in the same world. Now, i'm probably wrong about that sure, but it would be an interesting way to do a reboot - tackling the universe, rather than just one of it's malignancies.

As long as I forget about Soldier, I'm all up for 'sidequels'!

EDIT: You guys have been arguing this point for pages, haven't you? Sorry - had no time to go through before posting.

stroggificated

Quote from: prodigy211 on Jan 16, 2011, 10:49:27 PM
But what irritates me more is all the members who say that its better the prequel wasnt made.
I cant believe that any person who registered here prefers this ''Prometheus project'' than a ''pure'' alien sequel/prequel.
and all who didnt want the prequel made based on the leaked script with the gay scenes ect...i have 1 answer:

RIDLEY should move his ass,try to make a better script and try to make a good alien movie even if the project was to be pushed back 2 or 3 years more.
I wouldnt mind to hear an answer like:it will be ready when it's ready.

and the prequel wasnt doomed...all it needed was a good script.

^This

and btw, chupa is not right. But the tears thing was funny.
Reminds me of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM#
O_O

StrangeShape

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 15, 2011, 04:32:07 PM
Cameron has been awarded because of his technical feats, not his literary ones. Let's get our facts straight.

Then lets. I just listed awards for writing/screenplays ALONE, not for directing or special effects. His script are very logic based and as I showed in the link, he did some marvellous stuff with Abyss and T2

stroggificated

Hey Darkness, hey Hicks. Can you ban me. I'm done with all this shite.  ::)

Vulhala

Rather an extreme reaction don't you think?

And while I share everyones disappointment, AvP:R will not be the last time we see an Alien on-screen. This just means it probably won't be Ridley that does it. As if Hollywood will let the franchise die ::)

If anyone seriously thinks that, then you obviously haven't been paying attention to the movie industry these days at all.

ThisBethesdaSea

Cameron has won a couple of Saturn awards for his work, and has some nominations for writing Terminator and the like, but nothing that hints that he's actually a 'good' writer. He's a genius at knowing what works, but he doesn't have a subtle bone in his body.

Bishop2

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 17, 2011, 07:32:08 AM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Jan 17, 2011, 04:45:45 AM
Like the movie or not, Alien vs. Predator gave both franchises a shot in the arm by providing a successful movie for the first time since f**king Aliens and Predator. Suddenly, there was the promise of new life for these franchises in the medium of film. Fox used that new energy, that new boost of success to give us AVP: Requiem and Predators. After that string of... well, however you felt about those, they were cheap and didn't exactly bring in phat cash.

Actually, every film in both series has made money, and usually a large amount of it - by far the smallest return came with Predator 2, which still made $22m more than its $35m production budget. Alien 3 tripled its budget in worldwide box office, Resurrection more than doubled (they both made about the same amount, curiously). AvP only made just over $10m more than those two.

Ok, you're talking about international. I'm talking about domestic. Once upon a time that was all that really mattered to studios - they didn't really take international into account. They figured they either made their money back locally or not at all. However, that mentality has changed, so you're right. It's a different attitude now and I'm thinking in an outdated way...

Federick Gonsa

The Alien movies in general have always done well, for their budget. Never expect an Avatar gross of course.

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Jan 17, 2011, 03:21:54 PM
The Alien movies in general have always done well, for their budget. Never expect an Avatar gross of course.

That will be the day.

Bishop2

Hence why Scott's ideal budget for this movie was a crazy pipe dream. What did he want originally? Something like 150-200 million? Yeeeeaaah..,

Nightmare Asylum

I was just thinking, with this canceled, now, once again, every single Alien/Predator/AVP movie has been directed by a different person.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed