Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 744,722 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, but the EEV got flooded in every version of the film regardless. We see Ripley's cryotube cracked open as she falls to the planet and we know Newt drowns. Apart from that it nearly works okay if the film is the only source, but it isn't, even forgetting any of the new material directly referencing Royal Eggs, the Praetomorph Eggs in Covenant set a precedent that an Egg produces a Facehugger with features of it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

When it comes to Alien 3, the only source I adhere to is the movie.

I can't be arsed to include Covenant either.

The Old One

The Old One

That's fair enough, but that's hardly the only reason the idea isn't believable, as I stated above.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The EEV wasn't completely flooded in the theatrical cut and Ripley stayed in her tube so that version of the facehugger didn't need to sprout webbing, spikes and armor.

Not sure what else you're talking about.  In both editions, there's one egg and one facehugger.  The only difference is the circumstance in which the facehugger impregnates Ripley: in her cryotube or while she's drifting to the beach. 

The Old One

The Old One

If you say so, I don't believe a "Royal Facehugger" just looks like a Regular one and the physical distinction is purely environmental, because every other source says otherwise, in Aliens several Facehuggers get housed in a type of liquid with no changes and in Alien Ash describes the original Facehugger replacing it's cells to adapt to it's environment but it does not change in appearance one molecule.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I imagine the mutation only kicks in if there's a need for it.  There's not much ocean current in a motionless stasis tube, thus no need for webbing.

The Old One

The Old One

Even being very generous that's nonsense, if it's possible for the Facehugger to change that drastically to the point of growing considerably larger, developing armour, sharp nails and webbing the ones in Aliens certainly must've escaped by using that ability, but we know that's not what happened.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You didn't think so before...

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jun 12, 2018, 03:33:59 AM
Yeah I can buy that, never thought of it before tho.

Alternatively, we could always disregard the AC as a novelty in same way we do the director's cut of Alien.

The Old One

The Old One

It's an interesting idea, but not a correct one when you've got time to ruminate on it as shown above. So in light of this, it's clear the SE is canon and the TE is not yes? Or the Egg is just a manifestation of the Alien presence and isn't really present in the TE anyway, your choice.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 12, 2020, 07:14:23 AM
When it comes to Alien 3, the only source I adhere to is the movie.

I guess that rules out the sound of a scuttling facehugger at the end of Aliens.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't see why that matters.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 12, 2020, 07:54:13 AMSo in light of this, it's clear the SE is canon and the TE is not yes?

Nah, not really.  The TC is easier to reconcile because it doesn't introduce yet another unexplained variable in the form of a super facehugger to an already overcomplicated scenario.

The Old One

The Old One

But it's not easier to reconcile, if you forget your bias for one second you know that, because the TE more substantially contradicts the rest of the (Ash's Facehugger observation Alien, the captured Facehuggers Aliens) Trilogy, the (Alien Covenant) Prequels and the (Royal Egg, Royal Facehugger) lore. And one Facehugger from one Egg that's clearly a new type, attempting to infect three individuals and appearing to only get one for the majority of the film- is considerably simpler than, all that, with the added complexity of it transforming from the type we know, to a new type for traversal or while in another version it looks nearly identical or not distinct enough to ones we've seen before but behaves enormously differently for who knows why.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I don't see how.

Alien³

Alien³

TC = One facehugger in the face of an absent queen lays two embryos. The Queen and her protector.

AC = One facehugger implants the Queen and another (or the same thats morphed into a new unseen form) lays the protector.

In both scenarios its the egg that is the issue.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed