Playing AvP2 Again - Thoughts & Comments

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 09, 2010, 11:58:54 AM

Author
Playing AvP2 Again - Thoughts & Comments (Read 3,368 times)

Kimarhi

It's not really I'm pro random swarm.  I dislike the aliens as bugs idea.  I've always been quick to notion that humans used the same tactics against mounted gun emplacements in every war since their invention, including the fool taliban and insurgents doing it in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Sometimes overwhelming an enemy quickly is better than waiting for them to entrench further and become even more of a nuisance.

I just find AvP2010's combat system frustrating and limiting.

I'm apparantly in the minority.

I'll finish and say, aside from the Pred's ridiculous HP levels in the first AvP, thats always how I imagine the AvP game should be.  Its not about martial skill in spearkwondo, but all about the timing of your actions.  Can you react to the motion tracker quick enough to respond to the onrushing aliens?  Can you time the wristblade strike to the Alien's neck to seperate his head before he gets you?  Can you disembowel the pred with a tailstrike before he turns around and PC's you to death?

AvP and AvP2 were much more visceral and intense to me.  The slowmoving combat didn't do anything for me but bore me to tears in AVP2010.  Give me the AvP2010 engine, but the AvP2 game with Rebellions original AvP intensity and I'd be happy.  Thats the only great thing that 2010 did for me.  It capture the aesthetics.  But other than that it was eceedingly ordinary.

Corporal Hicks

Well I'd been slowly playing through the Predator campaign as I did find it kinda boring. I dunno, just found it to be attack, stop, medi-comp, energy shift, move on. I'm just not enjoying this as much as I used to anymore, not after the intense experience I've with AvP2010.

I'll move onto the Alien campaign shortly.

chupacabras acheronsis

the problem with Predator campaings in Avp and Avp2 is that it trows you agaisnt humans and gives you too much of a upperhand; you get used to stalking and following humans, avoiding combat and taking on them methodically. so when the first aliens appear you are barely ready to take on a single one of them, it forces you to go fast, take down enemies at close range without getting acid-bathed and develop a ridiculously precise timing. the difficulty gap is too wide, as different as the tactics are. nowhere as different as it is for Aliens or marines to go against both species alike.

Ghostface

I like all 3 AVP games, but I have to say that I played AVP2 the most out of the series. I was hoping to recapture my love for the game in AVP2010 but there was just something missing. Dont get me wrong, I liked it a lot, but it just didn't grip me for months and months like the old games. Perhaps I've just matured as a gamer. The lack of mod tools kills its replay for me too.

Kimarhi

The SP always remains a huge draw for me, and I felt overall, aside from the Pred campaign, it just didn't have a soul.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed