Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 326,746 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:29:54 AMGreat, so Aliens are just any alien that appear in the movies and Predators are anything that hunts.

The terms... "alien" and "predator" are so generic that yes, you can apply them to many other things too. That was kind of the point. The predator is an "alien"
But, as a creature in a recognizable franchise, it has a distinct identify despite the generic name, even feral...

Same goes with the creature from the generically named "the thing" or pennywise from "it"

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 09:33:39 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:26:50 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 28, 2022, 09:24:16 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:20:38 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 28, 2022, 09:09:05 AMA Predator's character's defined by the qualities of a hunter, hunters vary a lot in practices, but within that criteria they are all hunters, they are all Predators.

https://thatshelf.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/03/Hannibal-Season-2-Episode-4-Takiawase-1.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/Without_warning_1980_movie_poster.jpgGreat Predator movie.

I don't know it.

Doesn't look like it had access to the Predator or Alien license to me. That of course you need to make an official thing featuring either.
It's 7 years before Predator, stars Kevin Peter Hall as an alien hunting humans.

So all a Predator is, is something that hunts - in the license? So the Aliens in AvP are Predators?
I get what you're saying
I just don't agree with you.
Godzilla is a kaiju; take that away and it's not just some dinosaur all of the sudden.
Plus, I mean, the predator hunts. It's so ingrained in what it is, I don't see how you can just strip that out of the character. Feral... he's different, but he's still a hunter, even if his style of hunting is different from what you're used to thinking about...
My whole argument is it was stripped out and what's left is a shell. He stops hunting half way through the movie. They have taken out what was ingrained in the character.

Up until he starts attacking people he's ok. Then he turns into Jason cosplaying a Predator for the second half.

It's not that his style is different, he just has none. Just  walking into a group of people with seemingly no plan and no caution is not hunting, animalistic or not.

That's been the entire point.

Highland

Highland

Don't think you guys are comparing apples to oranges here.

Youre essentially asking Feral to snipe bow and arrow natives from the trees when he doesn't need to.

Would be like me hunting a wild pig with a bazooka from a tree hut. Why would I do that.

SiL

SiL

I'm asking him to hunt, not walk into traps repeatedly, not get surrounded and blindsided repeatedly. Approach situations with caution, attack with advantage, get the upper hand.

Hunting isn't just killing things. Predators have the tech to and strength to slaughter wholesale wherever they want. They CHOOSE NOT TO. That is their character.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:39:32 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 28, 2022, 09:33:39 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:26:50 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 28, 2022, 09:24:16 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:20:38 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 28, 2022, 09:09:05 AMA Predator's character's defined by the qualities of a hunter, hunters vary a lot in practices, but within that criteria they are all hunters, they are all Predators.

https://thatshelf.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/03/Hannibal-Season-2-Episode-4-Takiawase-1.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/Without_warning_1980_movie_poster.jpgGreat Predator movie.

I don't know it.

Doesn't look like it had access to the Predator or Alien license to me. That of course you need to make an official thing featuring either.
It's 7 years before Predator, stars Kevin Peter Hall as an alien hunting humans.

So all a Predator is, is something that hunts - in the license? So the Aliens in AvP are Predators?
I get what you're saying
I just don't agree with you.
Godzilla is a kaiju; take that away and it's not just some dinosaur all of the sudden.
Plus, I mean, the predator hunts. It's so ingrained in what it is, I don't see how you can just strip that out of the character. Feral... he's different, but he's still a hunter, even if his style of hunting is different from what you're used to thinking about...
My whole argument is it was stripped out and what's left is a shell. He stops hunting half way through the movie. They have taken out what was ingrained in the character.

Up until he starts attacking people he's ok. Then he turns into Jason cosplaying a Predator for the second half.

It's not that his style is different, he just has none. Just  walking into a group of people with seemingly no plan and no caution is not hunting, animalistic or not.

That's been the entire point.

And your point I don't agree with...
Going back to my previous example. Noodling is crazy af imo but despite my viewpoint it is still considered a form of fishing.
Feral hunts differently. They gave him the nickname "feral" for a reason, you picked up on that reason and just seem to not like it (which is ok) but doesn't make him a Jason voorhees... he's still hunting.

Bears hunt differently than cougars.
Feral = bear
Predators you're use to seeing = cougars 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I wrote: "A Predator's character's defined by the qualities of a hunter, hunters vary a lot in practices, but within that criteria they are all hunters, they are all Predators."

This works in the context of just the Predator franchise, when you bring in Alien I must be more specific.

"A Predator's character's defined by the qualities of a extraterrestrial hunting only for sport, hunters vary a lot in practices, but within that criteria they are all hunters, thusly Predators can also vary in every way a human being hunting for sport can vary."

Highland

Highland

He knows none of the dangers humans have can pose even the slightest threat and as far as we can see that's true. If people are disliking the predator not "hunting" then the entire premise of the movie is more likely the real beef rather than the actions of the creature.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 09:41:04 AMDon't think you guys are comparing apples to oranges here.

Youre essentially asking Feral to snipe bow and arrow natives from the trees when he doesn't need to.

Would be like me hunting a wild pig with a bazooka from a tree hut. Why would I do that.
That's actually been closer to my point all along lol
Feral is different
But not in a bad way

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:42:16 AMI'm asking him to hunt, not walk into traps repeatedly, not get surrounded and blindsided repeatedly. Approach situations with caution, attack with advantage, get the upper hand.

Hunting isn't just killing things. Predators have the tech to and strength to slaughter wholesale wherever they want. They CHOOSE NOT TO. That is their character.

Not feral's character lol
That was kind of the point and hence his nickname
He's an individual not a jungle hunter clone

Master

Master

I'm with Sil and Overthere on this one. The point is not all hunters must behave thesame,  the point is no hunter let's himself willingly get mangled like Feral did on more then one occasion because this is not hunter's behaviour. It doesn't matter if you are maori, viking or a God damn chinaman. Such behaviour is more fitting for psychopath,  that's why Jason or Michel comparison. Being bullet sponge doesn't help.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Gatekeeping what counts as a Predator or not is not what I expected this thread would turn into

SiL

SiL

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 28, 2022, 09:51:39 AMGatekeeping what counts as a Predator or not is not what I expected what this thread would turn into
Feral counts as a Predator.

I just think he's a badly written one.

Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2022, 09:46:33 AMHe knows none of the dangers humans have can pose even the slightest threat and as far as we can see that's true. If people are disliking the predator not "hunting" then the entire premise of the movie is more likely the real beef rather than the actions of the creature.
It's his first time hunting on Earth. He doesn't know anything. And then he gets impaled by his own spear by something he didn't take seriously in a completely preventable situation.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Testing himself against what this world has to offer him, like with the wolf, tracking something down and skewering it from a foot in front of it is as much hunting as skewering it from the relative safety of a tree.

Highland

Highland

The thing is a sadistic serial killer that collects skull trophy's on safari and rips out spines.

The irony of folk trying to say "the predator has no code of honour!" For years appears to have now done a 180 and is coming back the other way  :laugh:

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Master on Aug 28, 2022, 09:50:51 AMI'm with Sil and Overthere on this one. The point is not all hunters must behave thesame,  the point is no hunter let's himself willingly get mangled like Feral did on more then one occasion because this is not hunter's behaviour. It doesn't matter if you are maori, viking or a God damn chinaman. Such behaviour is more fitting for psychopath,  that's why Jason or Michel comparison. Being bullet sponge doesn't help.
You've just described every hunter who has failed their hunt, and become the hunted
(Including city hunter)

I don't think any lion goes into a fight expecting to lose, but when they do they take a lot of damage in the process.

SiL

SiL

Presumably we can all agree that humans are unique and individual and whatever.

But every single one of us has cringed at badly written dialogue, or rolled our eyes at unrealistic character behaviour.

We don't pass it off as "all people are different!".

I respond to Feral the same way people respond to characters in AvPR. Those characters are still humans, they're just badly written ones

Feral is a Predator. I just think he's a badly written one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed