Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.5%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 439

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 321,244 times)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 19, 2012, 04:54:20 AM
Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 19, 2012, 02:21:56 AMI realize there are plenty of people that loved Prometheus to death (heck, just look at the poll for this thread).

And here's the interesting thing: despite having the same moment to moment reactions to the film as I did my brother really liked it - he thought it was a pretty good movie. I guess it depends on what kind of personal standards you hold in regards to what makes a movie 'good'.

I found the flaws in the film to be really grating, but he was willing to overlook them or at least not let them bother him so much and just take away the good stuff.
Not so much standards as expectations...

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 08:14:27 AM
Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 19, 2012, 02:21:56 AMI realize there are plenty of people that loved Prometheus to death (heck, just look at the poll for this thread).

And here's the interesting thing: despite having the same moment to moment reactions to the film as I did my brother really liked it - he thought it was a pretty good movie. I guess it depends on what kind of personal standards you hold in regards to what makes a movie 'good'.

I found the flaws in the film to be really grating, but he was willing to overlook them or at least not let them bother him so much and just take away the good stuff.

No, just standards.

Not being able to overcome your expectations when judging a movie is a rather immature thing, imo.  That's just accepting that a movie is different than how you thought it would be.  It has no real bearing on whether the movie is bad or good, when compared to a standard.

I think the poster you mentioned is well capable of understanding what they expected as well as what they got.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 08:14:27 AMNot so much standards as expectations...

Well f**k your party then. ;)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 19, 2012, 08:22:38 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 08:14:27 AM

No, just standards.

Not being able to overcome your expectations when judging a movie is a rather immature thing, imo.  That's just accepting that a movie is different than how you thought it would be.  It has no real bearing on whether the movie is bad or good, when compared to a standard.

I think the poster you mentioned is well capable of understanding what they expected as well as what they got.
By bringing the concept of "standards" into the conversation there is a presumption that you have higher standards than anyone who liked the film. Sorry - but I see absolutely nothing to suggest that those who don't like Prometheus are more discerning, objective or have higher standards... Trying to argue that one simply has 'better taste' is a fairly desperate last line of defence...

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 10:57:57 AM

By bringing the concept of "standards" into the conversation there is a presumption that you have higher standards than anyone who liked the film. Sorry - but I see absolutely nothing to suggest that those who don't like Prometheus are more discerning, objective or have higher standards... Trying to argue that one simply has 'better taste' is a fairly desperate last line of defence...

Darth, if I may, I think you might be reading too much into the usage of the term "standards".  I am fairly certain no one here is implying that they are judging the film from some set of superior, priviledged criteria.  We all have subjective standards by which we judge a film, which vary from individual to individual.

Most of us evaluate a film based on meeting "personal", subjective standards for:
a)  Story and script
b)  Character development
c)  Acting
d)  Direction
e)  Cinematography
f)  Editing
g)  Musical score
etc., etc.

For some, Prometheus delivered on all counts.  For others, Prometheus was a mixed bag.  For still others, Prometheus is found to be so lacking in certain key areas, and so problematic in others, as to be a complete disaster of a film.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 10:57:57 AMBy bringing the concept of "standards" into the conversation there is a presumption that you have higher standards than anyone who liked the film.

Personal standards Darth - read the damn posts already. :)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 19, 2012, 02:23:35 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 10:57:57 AM

Darth, if I may, I think you might be reading too much into the usage of the term "standards".  I am fairly certain no one here is implying that they are judging the film from some set of superior, priviledged criteria.  We all have subjective standards by which we judge a film, which vary from individual to individual.

Most of us evaluate a film based on meeting "personal", subjective standards for:
a)  Story and script
b)  Character development
c)  Acting
d)  Direction
e)  Cinematography
f)  Editing
g)  Musical score
etc., etc.

For some, Prometheus delivered on all counts.  For others, Prometheus was a mixed bag.  For still others, Prometheus is found to be so lacking in certain key areas, and so problematic in others, as to be a complete disaster of a film.
Assuming that one has the capability to understand what constitutes good or bad cinematography, editing etc. I think most people don't actually have a clue, but try and justify their emotional response by linking it to a technical attribute without little knowledge or understanding of context.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 10:00:59 PMAssuming that one has the capability to understand what constitutes good or bad cinematography, editing etc. I think most people don't actually have a clue, but try and justify their emotional response by linking it to a technical attribute without little knowledge or understanding of context.

You can't be suggesting that a film can only be properly judged on it's technical merits? Surely the art of film relies on the audience having an emotional response of some kind?

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 21, 2012, 12:02:26 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 19, 2012, 10:00:59 PMAssuming that one has the capability to understand what constitutes good or bad cinematography, editing etc. I think most people don't actually have a clue, but try and justify their emotional response by linking it to a technical attribute without little knowledge or understanding of context.

You can't be suggesting that a film can only be properly judged on it's technical merits? Surely the art of film relies on the audience having an emotional response of some kind?
I think that's largely my point... I'd personally prefer it if one could just state that a film left one emotionally cold, or underwhelmed rather than trying to explain it in faux technical critique. As you know, filmmaking is a highly technical profession and it really grates to see someone trying to justify a position by stating "bad editing", "poor music" etc. etc.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 21, 2012, 10:18:49 AMI'd personally prefer it if one could just state that a film left one emotionally cold, or underwhelmed rather than trying to explain it in faux technical critique.

Do you have technical critiques of the film?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Emotion is a huge part of the artistic process.  It doesn't matter if it is film, art, writing scripts/novels.  Without it what would be the point?  If I feel nothing when I watch a movie, look at a picture, or read the book, why would I waste the time?  The technical aspect of filmmaking is important, but far less so than the culmination of techniques used to move/manipulate an audience to buy into what its preaching.

Aliens is full of technical mistakes.  Its arguably the second best film in the franchise because of everything else it did well.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 21, 2012, 12:43:36 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 21, 2012, 10:18:49 AMI'd personally prefer it if one could just state that a film left one emotionally cold, or underwhelmed rather than trying to explain it in faux technical critique.

Do you have technical critiques of the film?
Yes of course I do...

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 21, 2012, 03:37:06 PM
Emotion is a huge part of the artistic process.  It doesn't matter if it is film, art, writing scripts/novels.  Without it what would be the point?  If I feel nothing when I watch a movie, look at a picture, or read the book, why would I waste the time?  The technical aspect of filmmaking is important, but far less so than the culmination of techniques used to move/manipulate an audience to buy into what its preaching.

Aliens is full of technical mistakes.  Its arguably the second best film in the franchise because of everything else it did well.
And that's the point isn't it i.e interpretation and projection of meaning. Some people look at a painting and see a wealth of images, characters and stories - some simply see meaningless swirls of paint on canvas. Who is right???

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The point is no man's opinion is universal truth.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 21, 2012, 07:44:40 PM
The point is no man's opinion is universal truth.
Exactly... it's all pretty much subjective and devoid of any empirical facts - other than how the film, painting, music actually makes you feel as an observer/consumer.

Scree

Scree

Don't know if this was already posted somewhere but I had such a blast  listening to those guys. They really know this stuff.  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osBFSuTRTqk#ws

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed