Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.5%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 439

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 321,220 times)

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: dave1978 on Jul 11, 2012, 03:07:09 PM
People only get mugged once.

Depends were you live ;) ;D

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 11, 2012, 03:37:53 PM
I actually think it'll sell extremely well on Bluray. People who didn't like it will buy it just to test their sound systems and see the visuals again at home, on Bluray.
Of course it will... the movie is popular enough that it will shift units for sure.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 11, 2012, 03:37:53 PMIncluding all of such things in two hours, when at least three would probably be more appropriate, is perhaps the reason for the editing issues, which in turn has a cascading effect on the other issues mentioned above.

I think, or at least hope, that you are right on that. I am still positive that most of the fundamental problems could be resolved in a more liberal cut, assuming of course that the shooting script is worth a crap. Love it or hate it, there are legitimate reasons that this film falls over to my mind, and it is quite possible that a better edit could make it into a better film.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Three major things bothered me. 

The SJ aka Engineers.  Not portrayed anything like I expected them to be.  I almost forgot the flute thing until somebody brought it up.  That was ET like camp.  Expected it to be more ghost of the shellish.  With the jockey's running everything biomechanical style (kind of like cyborg's interfacing with computers using wireless connections in their bodies or direct physical connections into hardware).  I just didn't see them going that chariots of the gods route (I mean it was such a good idea AVP used it.....).  I don't think many of us saw them going that direction and was already a bit peeved as soon as it was mentioned in the previews.

I realize this of course is based on initial feeling and my own opinion, but I would've preferred the jockey's regarding us with cold indifference until we snuck into their territory trying to steal their own tech or the black goo.

The Alien.  So the black goo end result is the Alien.....yet there is apparantly a zillion different ways to get there.  If the end result is not the Alien how did they know to make a mural of it?

The talking head.  Like the flute, this part was a "It's so bad I'm going to put it out of my head," moment.

I didn't mind the setup,  the characters were mostly filler but David, Vickers and Shaw were good enough to carry the majority of the film, the designs were top notch.

The story and script were sketchy. 

I think Jimbo wins handily in the next gen scifi story battle, and I don't hold Avatar in that high of regard.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 12, 2012, 07:05:18 AM
The Alien.  So the black goo end result is the Alien.....yet there is apparantly a zillion different ways to get there.  If the end result is not the Alien how did they know to make a mural of it?

I can offer a possible explanation for this. We know based on the mural and Alien that the Engineers have know about/had possession of the Aliens for a long time prior to Prometheus. We also know that every creature created from the black goo has Alien-like traits (The Hammerpedes have acidic blood, the mutated humans [based on concept art] were beginning to take shape of something that resembles the Alien, the Trilobite is essentially a Facehugger, and the Deacon, well, that one is pretty obvious). Now, this is all just speculation on my part, but given that everything links up to the Alien like that, I'm under the impression that the Alien we know from the Alien Quadrilogy (and by extension, the Eggs in the Derelict) are a naturally occurring lifeform discovered by the Engineers. Like Weyland Yutani in the Alien films, the Engineers deemed them worthy of their bioweapons division, but after getting their hands on the creatures and discovering just how dangerous (even for their own handlers) the Aliens were, they deconstructed them down to their most basic state (the black goo) to make them a bit safer to transport and use.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 12, 2012, 11:19:12 AM

I can offer a possible explanation for this. We know based on the mural and Alien that the Engineers have know about/had possession of the Aliens for a long time prior to Prometheus. We also know that every creature created from the black goo has Alien-like traits (The Hammerpedes have acidic blood, the mutated humans [based on concept art] were beginning to take shape of something that resembles the Alien, the Trilobite is essentially a Facehugger, and the Deacon, well, that one is pretty obvious). Now, this is all just speculation on my part, but given that everything links up to the Alien like that, I'm under the impression that the Alien we know from the Alien Quadrilogy (and by extension, the Eggs in the Derelict) are a naturally occurring lifeform discovered by the Engineers. Like Weyland Yutani in the Alien films, the Engineers deemed them worthy of their bioweapons division, but after getting their hands on the creatures and discovering just how dangerous (even for their own handlers) the Aliens were, they deconstructed them down to their most basic state (the black goo) to make them a bit safer to transport and use.
Interesting idea... Xeno soup.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 12, 2012, 04:37:23 AM
QuoteIncluding all of such things in two hours, when at least three would probably be more appropriate, is perhaps the reason for the editing issues, which in turn has a cascading effect on the other issues mentioned above.

I think, or at least hope, that you are right on that. I am still positive that most of the fundamental problems could be resolved in a more liberal cut, assuming of course that the shooting script is worth a crap. Love it or hate it, there are legitimate reasons that this film falls over to my mind, and it is quite possible that a better edit could make it into a better film.
I loved it as is, but nobody would complain if we got more.  :)

QuoteThe talking head.  Like the flute, this part was a "It's so bad I'm going to put it out of my head," moment.
Thank god it didn't actually talk. Unfortunately, the movie presents the scene as if the scientists just randomly electrocute the head, when in actuality the Weyland website indicates that they used a piece of technology that could temporarily reactivate neurons, or something to that effect, making their actions far less rash.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 12, 2012, 12:15:04 PM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 12, 2012, 04:37:23 AM
[quote http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/Smileys/default/cheesy.gifauthor=BLAIN link=topic=43750.msg1432597#msg1432597 date=1342021073]Including all of such things in two hours, when at least three would probably be more appropriate, is perhaps the reason for the editing issues, which in turn has a cascading effect on the other issues mentioned above.

I loved it as is, but nobody would complain if we got more.  :)

QuoteThe talking head.  Like the flute, this part was a "It's so bad I'm going to put it out of my head," moment.
Thank god it didn't actually talk. Unfortunately, the movie presents the scene as if the scientists just randomly electrocute the head, when in actuality the Weyland website indicates that they used a piece of technology that could temporarily reactivate neurons, or something to that effect, making their actions far less rash.
[/quote]

Let s all pray for a director' s cut/new editing/something someday... I think everyone agrees that would be fantastic. And for me, its imposible that they can make it worse...(they can't, right??)

BANE

BANE

That's too harsh, man.

They could have had the Engineer smoke a biomechanical Bong filled with aphrodisiac, get an Engineer boner and then try to repopulate earth with Shaw-Engineer babies.

There's all sorts of ways it could have been worse. My imagination knows no bounds.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 12, 2012, 12:15:04 PMUnfortunately, the movie presents the scene as if the scientists just randomly electrocute the head, when in actuality the Weyland website indicates that they used a piece of technology that could temporarily reactivate neurons, or something to that effect, making their actions far less rash.

But since when does a movie need a god-damned website to fill in plot details? Since when I say. WHEN?

:P

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Apparently now :P I guess they assumed that common movie-goers wouldn't care for the specific details, and people who really wanted to know would be the people who would eventually dig deeper after watching the film.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 12, 2012, 01:03:53 PMApparently now :P I guess they assumed that common movie-goers wouldn't care for the specific details, and people who really wanted to know would be the people who would eventually dig deeper after watching the film.

Since when did screenwriters become so cynical. Since when I say. WHEN?

;)

BANE

BANE

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 12, 2012, 12:57:45 PM
Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 12, 2012, 12:15:04 PMUnfortunately, the movie presents the scene as if the scientists just randomly electrocute the head, when in actuality the Weyland website indicates that they used a piece of technology that could temporarily reactivate neurons, or something to that effect, making their actions far less rash.

But since when does a movie need a god-damned website to fill in plot details? Since when I say. WHEN?

That was part of my point, which was that it needed an extra hour or so to fully introduce every idea and concept.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 12, 2012, 12:57:45 PM

Yeah you can have people wondering if Deckard is or not a Replicant, or where does that black monolite come from, or it's Cobb still dreaming or not? Etc. But in this movie its just.....well...I don't know...I truly haven't seen any other movie of that suposed level, budget, with suck talent behind the wheels etc. that has so many unanswered questions just for the sake of it, or for laziness or for a bad editing or all together.

Whatever, Im being redundant already...

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 12, 2012, 12:36:10 PM
That's too harsh, man.

They could have had the Engineer smoke a biomechanical Bong filled with aphrodisiac, get an Engineer boner and then try to repopulate earth with Shaw-Engineer babies.

There's all sorts of ways it could have been worse. My imagination knows no bounds.

Don't give ideas to Lindelof...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 12, 2012, 11:19:12 AM

The goo is much more deadly than the Alien.  The Alien IS a weapon physically, but it has a built in failsafe in that to reproduce it has to have a host.  The goo on the other hand can f**k you up with one drop.  In an aerosol form the jockey's could've released it over a major urban center and killed millions.

I agree with some of what your saying, but I still think its more likely that the Aliens are eventually an end process to the black goop instead of vice versa.  The goop has no failsafe.  It just does what it does.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed