Ridley Scott or Neill Blomkamp ?

Started by BigDaddyJohn, Jun 18, 2017, 05:14:14 PM

Who would you like to see direct the next Alien film?

Blomkamp
20 (25%)
Scott
60 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author
Ridley Scott or Neill Blomkamp ? (Read 15,282 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 18, 2017, 09:52:25 PM
I don't see a point in a rehash. If a want to watch a film like Aliens then I'll watch Aliens. Any rehash can only be inferior to the original so it's a pointless excercise.
I don't see a point in the thematic mutilation and shoehorning of completely inane and sterile ideas Prometheus has brought in, either

I like Prometheus and Covenant because they aren't just rehashed versions of the originals. I want something different not imitations of classics.
Different doesn't equal good

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 18, 2017, 10:01:03 PM
Ridley didnt put that goofy Huante concept on an instagram account and told the world that his alien film would have been
AWESOME BECAUSE LOOK AT THIS AWESOME CONCEPT ART111!!!

which is kind of what Blomkamp did with his goofy looking concept art.
And Ridley put this in his film

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CLEARLY the better direction!

Regardless, the point still stands -- it's decontextualized concept art, not a reflection of what the final film would have potentially been like.

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 18, 2017, 10:08:33 PM
Very true. He was like an over excited teenager.
Never seen that attitude from the man, just from the fans reacting to those illustrations

skhellter

skhellter

The SALT!  :D

Jonesy1974

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 18, 2017, 10:01:53 PM
I'd be happy if they would just remake Alien with something more grander and resulting in a  slightly different variation of the the big xeno, more realistic, ect.,

Blomkamp could make a great Elysium type Aliens remake, but I'm afraid we haven't established a proper Remake of Alien yet before we get a proper remake of Aliens.

For instance the remake of Nightmare on elm street and Friday the13th required so many iterations before we got one. We haven;t even got 7 out of alien yet

Neither Alien or Aliens need remaking. Nor did the films you mention above and that's why they are all awful.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 18, 2017, 10:10:48 PM
The SALT!  :D

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 18, 2017, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 18, 2017, 09:25:12 PM
And judging by his concepts for an Alien film he really doesn't get it at all. He Basically just wants to remake Aliens with bigger guns. This really isn't something I have any interest in seeing.

Bingo. He's just a james cameron fanboy.

also...
it would have been LAUGHABLE.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
this Farscape ripoff. Blomkamp a VISIONARY filmmaker? LMAO.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
https://i.gyazo.com/75bf5e9036eb90ba8df22ee5c4dccdd7.png

There's more NaCl in this quoted post than in the rest of the thread, I could cook three tonnes worth of pasta with it!

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 18, 2017, 06:25:27 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 18, 2017, 06:03:46 PM
Prometheus and The Martian show that Scott still has it.
Can give you The Martian, yeah, but Prometheus is absolutely the entire foundation of my point

Horrendous film

The film was beautifully crafted and shot. Did it miss some points on the story and editing fronts? Yes. Does it make a "horrendous" film? It's a matter of taste, but I can name worse, much worse films that Prometheus.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Ridley Scott got 87.1% of the votes.

IT'S FUNNY Ridley got so many votes.

For a second, I was thinking I was the only Ridley Scott fan here.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: lv_226 on Jun 18, 2017, 10:15:00 PM
The film was beautifully crafted and shot.
Indubitably; so?

Quote from: lv_226 on Jun 18, 2017, 10:15:00 PM
Did it miss some points on the story and editing fronts? Yes.
Some?

Quote from: lv_226 on Jun 18, 2017, 10:15:00 PMI can name worse, much worse films that Prometheus.
Of course you can namelist half of Roger Corman's production filmography but that doesn't really change a thing

Jonesy1974

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 18, 2017, 10:15:40 PM

Just as every poll I see on here regarding Covenant comes out massively in its favour but some choose to ignore this fact.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 18, 2017, 10:21:05 PM

Just as every poll I see on here regarding Covenant comes out massively in its favour but some choose to ignore this fact.

True.

It was the same with PROMETHEUS.

In theory, everyone hated PROMETHEUS. But in the real world, a lot of people loved PROMETHEUS.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 18, 2017, 10:09:11 PM
I don't see a point in a rehash. If a want to watch a film like Aliens then I'll watch Aliens. Any rehash can only be inferior to the original so it's a pointless excercise.
I don't see a point in the thematic mutilation and shoehorning of completely inane and sterile ideas Prometheus has brought in, either

I like Prometheus and Covenant because they aren't just rehashed versions of the originals. I want something different not imitations of classics.
Different doesn't equal good

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 18, 2017, 10:01:03 PM
Ridley didnt put that goofy Huante concept on an instagram account and told the world that his alien film would have been
AWESOME BECAUSE LOOK AT THIS AWESOME CONCEPT ART111!!!

which is kind of what Blomkamp did with his goofy looking concept art.
And Ridley put this in his film

http://vintageninja.net/wp-content/uploads/AlienvsNinja10.jpg

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/047/omg.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CLEARLY the better direction!

Regardless, the point still stands -- it's decontextualized concept art, not a reflection of what the final film would have potentially been like.

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 18, 2017, 10:08:33 PM
Very true. He was like an over excited teenager.
Never seen that attitude from the man, just from the fans reacting to those illustrations

I didn't say different equals good. That's the chance you take when trying to do something else. But I like both films, particularly Covenant so it was a success for me.

I don't want to watch Alien and Aliens made over and over again, it's pointless.

I'd rather see a film maker try and do something different and fail than watch rip offs.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Nobody bashes George Lucas like Star Wars fans. I'm thinking it's the same phenomenon at work with Ridley and Alien fans. Directors who are successful with their early work almost always have some of their fans turn on them in vicious ways, and I'm sick of it. I didn't like Covenant, but I would never, ever leap to the conclusion that Scott is losing his touch. Imo, Scott only gets better with age.

Someone mentioned Jennifer Kent. She's terrific, but I doubt she's ready for such a large production and all of the politics it would entail. Still, I do think it might be time for a female director to work on the Alien movies. If Scott passes, I would like them to approach someone like Lynne Ramsay, Mary Harron, Susanne Bier, Jane Campion, Ava DuVernay, Kathryn Bigelow, Patty Jenkins, Andrea Arnold, Julie Taymor, Mimi Leder, or take a gamble on a new talent like Kent. There are so many excellent female directors who would knock an Alien movie out of the park.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 18, 2017, 05:32:25 PM
Blomkamp, for several reasons

despite Ridley's claims that Alien is "his baby," it isn't; Alien was the melting pot of several talents including but not limited to Scott's. With Prometheus and Covenant he has demonstrated that he is not the same director anymore and that he doesn't get what made the original so poignant. Potentially, Blomkamp would have understood that better, perhaps could have given us proper Aliens and Space Jockeys, as well as a more faithful aesthetic to the first film. At worst, his film could never top Prometheus in sheer idiocy

The truth is hard to accept man. Hard. It hurts. Dammit.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 18, 2017, 09:58:49 PM
I don't see that at all, it didn't feel that way to me anyway.

Really? Ancient steampunk humanoid civilization mirroring ancient human civilizations (Aztecs and Rome) create and breed inhuman beasties. Also a good 50% of the film takes place in an ancient structure. Like the Pyramid in AVP, Covenant mainly takes place in this Coliseum/Acropolis type structure. It felt WAAAAAAYYY too much like AVP.

Literally. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much AVP.

So really? Not at ALL? Not ONE thing seemed remotely like AVP? Not even the skeleton-skinny Aliens leaping cartoonishly from the ceiling onto people AVP? C'mon, Hollywood is f**ked. ZERO creativity anymore.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 18, 2017, 10:35:19 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 18, 2017, 05:32:25 PM
Blomkamp, for several reasons

despite Ridley's claims that Alien is "his baby," it isn't; Alien was the melting pot of several talents including but not limited to Scott's. With Prometheus and Covenant he has demonstrated that he is not the same director anymore and that he doesn't get what made the original so poignant. Potentially, Blomkamp would have understood that better, perhaps could have given us proper Aliens and Space Jockeys, as well as a more faithful aesthetic to the first film. At worst, his film could never top Prometheus in sheer idiocy

The truth is hard to accept man. Hard. It hurts. Dammit.
Blomkamp has already made three movies more idiodic than Prometheus. There is nothing on Ridley's resume more sheerly embarrassing than Chappie. Blomkamp is not capable of making a movie as good as Prometheus, at least not at this stage of his career. When Scott was Blomkamp's age, he wasn't writing fanfiction sequels to other directors' movies. He had his own visions to follow.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 18, 2017, 10:34:03 PM

Nobody bashes George Lucas like Star Wars fans. I'm thinking it's the same phenomenon at work with Ridley and Alien fans. Directors who are successful with their early work almost always have some of their fans turn on them in vicious ways, and I'm sick of it. I didn't like Covenant, but I would never, ever leap to the conclusion that Scott is losing his touch. Imo, Scott only gets better with age.

Someone mentioned Jennifer Kent. She's terrific, but I doubt she's ready for such a large production and all of the politics it would entail. Still, I do think it might be time for a female director to work on the Alien movies. If Scott passes, I would like them to approach someone like Lynne Ramsay, Mary Harron, Susanne Bier, Jane Campion, Ava DuVernay, Kathryn Bigelow, Patty Jenkins, Andrea Arnold, Julie Taymor, Mimi Leder, or take a gamble on a new talent like Kent. There are so many excellent female directors who would knock an Alien movie out of the park.

Well said. Ridley deserves more respect and I also like the idea of a woman making an Alien film. Your probably right about Kent, I wouldn't want her to go through what a young Fincher went through but further down the line she could be a good call.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed