Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 153,131 times)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: The Hyena on Jun 10, 2012, 08:30:14 AM
Ok then, but that's still not an argument for Prometheus being a great film.

I never said it was a masterpiece...but that its no more, no less than Alien was.

And there we part ways, and maybe in 30 years Prometheus will be considered a classic (I doubt it personally). If we're both still hanging around here then I will happily concede the argument. :)

Prime113

Prime113

Predictions of $55million seem to be a bit off. Deadline reports that Prometheus made $49.5 million over the weekend.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/prometheus-box-office-weekend-fox/

Gazz

Gazz

A tidy bit of cash. It will probably have about $140 on the WW market by the weekends end.

Fox are also claiming the budget to be $125 million due to UK tax credits. If true they'll be into the black in no time.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 10, 2012, 08:33:59 AM
Quote from: The Hyena on Jun 10, 2012, 08:30:14 AM
Ok then, but that's still not an argument for Prometheus being a great film.

I never said it was a masterpiece...but that its no more, no less than Alien was.

And there we part ways, and maybe in 30 years Prometheus will be considered a classic (I doubt it personally). If we're both still hanging around here then I will happily concede the argument. :)

Alien is both a great thriller/sci-fi movie and a 'classic'. Prometheus is neither, but I think it's good/better than most nonetheless. I also predict that it will probably be regarded (rightly or wrongly - as it's all hugely subjective) as a classic in years to come... even though it's no where near as cinematically significant as Alien or Aliens. But I have to say that I love all three...  :)

Ooze on First

Ooze on First

Given the relatively low seekend numbers and the large initial day-to-day drops, I doubt this will make it much past $100m (U.S.).

Taking into conseration not only the cost of the film, but distribution and marketing, it's going to need massive int'l numbers to make back its money.

EDIT: It'll probably do very well on DVD/BR is there's an extended-cut and lots of extras.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I think everyone is going LOL to the Rated R rating but after the possible revenue it could have generated a facepalm instead. but then LOL again for the grossest scene ever filmed. then a :( for the few millions$$$ . Well we can all say its no Avatar and its not Madagascar.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 10, 2012, 02:40:14 PM
Given the relatively low seekend numbers and the large initial day-to-day drops, I doubt this will make it much past $100m (U.S.).

Taking into conseration not only the cost of the film, but distribution and marketing, it's going to need massive int'l numbers to make back its money.

EDIT: It'll probably do very well on DVD/BR is there's an extended-cut and lots of extras.
The film was made on a relatively low budget. We're not talkin Avatars 500 million, it was around 150m. From merchandise and DVD sales it should easily make its budget back. And the. We get a second one  :)

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Exhibitor Relations is predicting a flat $50 million. I certainly hope it hit's $50. Also, the Friday to Saturday drop appears worse than it truly is given $3.5 million of Friday's $21.5 million was from midnight showings. The true Friday gross is closer to $18 million.

Also, Exhibitor Relations is reporting another $39 million overseas. This places the overseas total at $91.5 million. Adding on the $50 million stateside, and we're sitting at a worldwide total of $141.5 million. That is provided estimations are accurate.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I thought Prometheus was number one on Friday? Won't the movie be #1 by Sunday since it seems like the chats don't change that much by Sunday? I guess the mixed word of mouth on twitter and FB made people go see a different movie?

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

So it's opened up about the same as AvP (adjusted for inflation). I expected as much because of its certificate, fortunately, worldwide Prometheus is smashing it. England and Europe have always loved Alien more. Glad we got the premiere.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

The movie making $141,500,000 worldwide is a great start. I think the movie could make at least 300 million worldwide by the end of the year.

Game_Over_Man

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: Spidey3121 on Jun 10, 2012, 04:23:36 PM
Exhibitor Relations is predicting a flat $50 million. I certainly hope it hit's $50. Also, the Friday to Saturday drop appears worse than it truly is given $3.5 million of Friday's $21.5 million was from midnight showings. The true Friday gross is closer to $18 million.

Also, Exhibitor Relations is reporting another $39 million overseas. This places the overseas total at $91.5 million. Adding on the $50 million stateside, and we're sitting at a worldwide total of $141.5 million. That is provided estimations are accurate.

That's guaranteed the sequel. Pretty stunning box-office for a once dead franchise...and let's face it, an imperfect movie.

Imagine the takngs if it had been better than the original two films?

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 10, 2012, 04:41:14 PM
I thought Prometheus was number one on Friday? Won't the movie be #1 by Sunday since it seems like the chats don't change that much by Sunday? I guess the mixed word of mouth on twitter and FB made people go see a different movie?
Prometheus was number 1 on Friday, $21.5 vs $20.5, but Madagascar outperformed it on Saturday and Sunday. This comes as no surprise to me, as that tends to be the trend for family films. They play well on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Plus, it's likely Prometheus carried with it more pent up demand to see it ASAP once it hit theaters.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-06-10&p=.htm <- Here's the daily breakdown, though these are still estimates at this point in time.

The report $50 million weekend total is also only an estimate. I do hope that figure holds. Though i'd be disappointed, i wouldn't be surprised if it feel just short. $50 million is just far too clean an precise.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the theater count for Prometheus was 3,396 whereas the theater count for Madagascar was 4,258. That's a considerable difference. Per Box Office Mojo, Prometheus actually had the better average, $14,723 vs. $14,173. Again, that's provided these estimates hold.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I don't see how those Madagascar movies are even popular in the first place? I found the first movie to be mediocre and never bother to watch the sequels. I was hoping the movie would be #1 this weekend since the last Alien related movie was #1 at the box office was AVP which was 8 years ago. 

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 10, 2012, 07:01:43 PM
I don't see how those Madagascar movies are even popular in the first place? I found the first movie to be mediocre and never bother to watch the sequels. I was hoping the movie would be #1 this weekend since the last Alien related movie was #1 at the box office was AVP which was 8 years ago.

If you're counting AVP as the last Alien related film, then you'd also have to factor in AVP Requiem. It, despite a relatively strong $9.5 million opening day, came in 3rd. It's first 3 day total, a Tuesday to Thursday stretch, totaled only $16.8 million. It then got slaughtered in it's first weekend outing, coming in 6th. In fact, it's domestic total of approximately $41.5 million has also been eclipsed in 1 weekend.

I myself don't understand the popularity of Madagascar. Of course, there are a lot of popular items that i have no interest in. The 2nd Madagascar film actually opened to $63 million, and finished with $180 total. Whether we like it or not, it's the more poplar franchise, at least in todays world. It also has the advantage of being the first animated kid oriented film of the summer. Though there are plenty of differences between them, alien oriented action flicks are aplenty in Avengers, Battleship, and MIB.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed