Sound Design: AFTE is it that bad?

Started by acrediblesource, Aug 09, 2021, 07:12:45 PM

Author
Sound Design: AFTE is it that bad? (Read 3,400 times)

acrediblesource

No i trust your opinion. So detailed and rewarding to read. Almost like you had  full private access to the game before anyone else. 

Quote from: Drukathi on Aug 11, 2021, 02:56:37 PM
Quote from: The Necronoir on Aug 11, 2021, 01:14:56 PM
I'm sure I read or heard an interview with Creative Assembly where they said that they tried scaling back the sounds made by the alien, but it simply became too hard to play without being able to passively track its movements. I guess they could have made an ultra-hard "sim" mode where it was almost silent, for the masochists out there.

This isn't the point. The point - AFTE devs did the right things with sounds. Here is no mistake or something bad. And no need to write to developers to fix a healthy game.

The Necronoir

Quote from: Drukathi on Aug 11, 2021, 02:56:37 PM
I'm sure I read or heard an interview with Creative Assembly where they said that they tried scaling back the sounds made by the alien, but it simply became too hard to play without being able to passively track its movements. I guess they could have made an ultra-hard "sim" mode where it was almost silent, for the masochists out there.

This isn't the point. The point - AFTE devs did the right things with sounds. Here is no mistake or something bad. And no need to write to developers to fix a healthy game.

I really don't get what you're trying to say. The point I was making is that game developers generally try a lot of things - from ultra-realistic through to super-arcadey - when they're developing any given title, with final decisions based on what they think serves the most satisfying gameplay. If the mechanics stop making it fun, nobody is going to play it.

Drukathi

Not sure what YOU mean!

It seems that  you are stuck with AI. I'm talking about AFTE and repeat - sounds in this game are OK.

Hemi

Hemi

Yup, and so are their sizes. Let's move on shall we? XD

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Drukathi on Aug 12, 2021, 05:33:53 AM
It seems that  you are stuck with AI. I'm talking about AFTE and repeat - sounds in this game are OK.
You mentioned the stomping feet and not liking it. He's talking about how the audio, despite not being accurate to the movie and disliked by many, was done as a gameplay mechanic.

He's not disagreeing with you, he's just adding to the conversation.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Drukathi on Aug 10, 2021, 05:48:48 AM
tbh, I never much liked these aspects of Alien: Isolation's xenomorph. He stomps like an elephant (this is why he called Stompy?!) and he screams like a hysterical pig.

AI is a masterpiece and Stompy is a deathmachine how any alien must be. But sounds execution was a way off from ideal. In this regard, Stomy is more like AR alienosaur, no the classic one.

Alien should be quiet and inconspicuous. You should not know about his presence until he attacks.

They so should've done that! I wish that one day this will be moddable.

Corporal Hicks

And people find it difficult now...  :P

Kradan

Kradan

QuotePeople - what a bunxh of bastards

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 06:38:19 AM
Quote from: Drukathi on Aug 12, 2021, 05:33:53 AM

You mentioned the stomping feet and not liking it. He's talking about how the audio, despite not being accurate to the movie and disliked by many, was done as a gameplay mechanic.

He's not disagreeing with you, he's just adding to the conversation.

Exactly, and - by extension - that Cold Iron are also probably testing lots of different approaches, meaning that the level of noise their xenos make is also probably the right call for gameplay in their specific take on the Alien universe. Maybe there's even a challenge card you can play that makes enemies more stealthy, if you're into that.

The overall point is that it seems premature to be getting outraged about something that hasn't even been finalised yet. The game is still two weeks away, and a lot of things will have been adjusted between the preview build we've been exposed to and the final release, not to mention after the inevitable day-one patch.

acrediblesource

I just found it odd. Am i outraged? Well.....too soon to tell.

SiL

SiL

You found it odd that they didn't add loud footsteps to a creature that is regularly shown in its source media to not make loud footsteps?

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

You are so accurate none should test your words! :o

Im aggasted that anyone would think that in the history of the filmfranchise these beasts had anything but the pitter patter of bambi like footsteps almost inaudible tot he human ear. Some might say the only thing you could hear was them hissing like little feral kittens with their teething little fangs.

I should not have made this thread. I feel dumb and castrated now. :(

SiL

SiL

Right but they usually don't have anything but the pitter patter of Bambi like footsteps. They're only heard making loud noises while moving around a handful of times over 7 movies.

acrediblesource

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 09:00:07 PM
Right but they usually don't have anything but the pitter patter of Bambi like footsteps. They're only heard making loud noises while moving around a handful of times over 7 movies.

Did i not post the Alien 3 video? oh discard that beacuse of canon or what you believe to be canon.

SiL

SiL

You might want to rewatch it yourself, because it's barely making a sound. It makes a low scuttling noise that's barely even audible when it's about to ram the door. No heavy footsteps, nothing you'd hear over any decent ambient noise at any real distance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed