Melee Punch or Melee WEapon?

Started by acrediblesource, Aug 05, 2021, 07:01:04 PM

Author
Melee Punch or Melee WEapon? (Read 1,864 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Bury a bowie knife in its head.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Hand to hand melee wouldn't work on an 8' tall uparmored Alien, no matter the training a person had.  It would be like Mike Tyson getting in a boxing ring with a Grizzly bear.  Mike Tyson would knock out 99 percent of people on earth, but a grizzly bear would decapitate him with little to no effort on its part because the strength and mass difference isn't comparable.   

What separates humanity from the animal kingdom is the fact we got brains, and we have used those brains to develop tech to insulate us from the natural world. 

Marines don't walk around punching people to death, they use their weaponry. 

I was in the Army for 8 years and I can count on both hands the amount of days of actual Army instruction I got in hand to hand combat.  That is not the way anybody fights, if you go into a conflict with more  hand to hand skills than weapon skills you are going to be cannon fodder for the other side.  You get them before they get you.  You don't do that by running down the street at entrenched positions waiting for them to stitch you up with the intention of throwing superior hands.  There is still a need for some hand to hand skills because of handling of detainees, crowds, and the potential to run into somebody in a MOUT situation, but it is literally designed to wrap up somebody until another one of your buddies can come along and dome the guy as you wrestle.  They don't teach death blows and the closest things we learned were JiuJitsu chokes............something that wouldn't do anything against the Alien. 

In the future it will probably be even worse. 

Now if you want to actually have a melee weapon, then that would be different.  Knives and pointed weapons work different because they put all the mass of your swing into a single point.  Same for slashing weapons (except on an edge), and blunt melee weapons like war hammers and shit.  So a vest designed to stop bullets wouldn't necessarily stop a knife swing with all the mass behind the blade.  The plate would probably stop the impact, but the kevlar might be seperated by such an attack because of the mass. 

A human MIGHT fair better with one of those, but in reality it could be like a cobra trying to strike a mongoose.  Might seem like a good idea unless you never landed a hit (like the cobra) and even if you did, if you landed a strike on an alien, your talking about an Alien (now literally created) to hunt men down.  It was probably designed in such a way that as a predator of men, such attacks wouldn't work against it.  Kind of like evolution favoring the mongoose, who is essentially evolved as a cobra killer. 

For gameplay purposes, Alien Trilogy, Alien Resurrection, AvP, AvP2 all did fine without having a function like that in there.  AvP2 had the knife but it was useles s on Alien or Preds. 

If somebody gives it any thought at all, it is silly.  You only need to look at our own history right here on planet earth to see how silly it is when we have people getting dropped by domesticated dogs.  Humans aren't all that without their smarts and their tech. 

Huggs

Huggs

Melee as a primary is suicidal. If you're having to resort to what god gave ya, odds are you're out of ammo. And in that situation specifically, I'd much rather have a good knife at my disposal and try for a fatal head wound than start throwing punches. Nevertheless, even if the domes add some level of ballistic protection, a gun is still the best weapon to have.

Long gun>handgun>knife>debris>fists

...And also dick

If everything else fails, whip it out and choke that b*tch to death with it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 08, 2021, 01:42:47 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 08, 2021, 12:23:05 AM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 07, 2021, 05:54:10 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 07, 2021, 05:07:03 PM
That guy died though.  He never was going to live.  Same for Parker.

My point wasn't that a fully adrenalized up human couldn't slow the Alien down, but that is ALL they could do.
A well placed punch is an already weakened Xeno could kill it, this applies to alot of real life creatures too, if an untrained big guy can slow a xeno down for 20ish seconds then a trained marine could deliver blows capable of staggering em
And frankly, the melee attacks in this game are far less offensive than ACM and 2010.

Nope. No chance in hell that even a perfectly delivered punch  by human would kill an Alien, no matter how weakened the Alien is or how strong and able the human is. At best it would stun it or have it back off...TEMPORARILY.
Yes it would lol, it's not an impossibility, it's improbable and unlikely, but still possible

No, it's actually impossible. Maybe (MAYBE), like someone already mentioned, if you had a good blade and manage to somehow successfully bury it deep into one of the Alien's soft spots, but other than that - no. Not going to happen. Ever.

Human trying to melee Alien = Dead human, no matter the ifs or buts.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Even if that were possible the Alien also has the added advantage of Acid blood melting your swinging hand down to the nub. 

It's silly.

The people arguing otherwise probably think they could wrestle with a tiger and not get killed instantly. 

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 08, 2021, 07:06:15 AM
Even if that were possible the Alien also has the added advantage of Acid blood melting your swinging hand down to the nub. 

It's silly.

The people arguing otherwise probably think they could wrestle with a tiger and not get killed instantly.

This 100%

Huggs

Huggs

You can live without a hand. The only alternative would be to try punching it and just get your face eaten.

Again, if you have to use a knife, you're out of ammo. And if you have to fight it with that knife, you've failed at escaping the situation, which should've been priority one. So you're likely in Dillon's situation. No guns and you're down and getting eaten. Yes, use a knife to stab it in the side of the head at that point.

The acid will destroy the knife and probably your hand. But again, you can live without a hand. You might hurt it bad enough that it freaks out momentarily and you can escape. Severely wounded, but alive. And if not, you at least hurt the thing that killed you.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Not arguing that.  Anyway you can defend yourself would be better than nothing.  Even throwing hands would be better than nothing.

But I know one isn't going to work, and the other is suspect at best. 

Immortan Jonesy

Unless we're talking about crabators, I don't think so. These penis-head bastards are like 450 pounds, so humans wouldn't stand a chance.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

We saw what hand to hand did against the Preds in the first movie.  Absolutely jack. 

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

I like how someone tried using an example of a man vs a grizzly to support their point when men HAVE killed grizzlies with their bare hands before

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

"C. DALE PETERSEN. suffocated a black mountain grizzly bear by arm in the throat and used his teeth that grapples a jugular on the grizzly neck. The grizzly fainted and he finished it off with a stick by striking repeatedly at the head. That's one of the 2 stories. The other was seen a man and a grizzly bear in the pit, deep in the woods that both were killed. No body knows what happen but that bear was killed by bare hands as well."

Both instances are more or less unverified and thus qualify more as STORIES than actual proof. If we choose to believe the first story, then by all means none of what Petersen did to the Grizzly would apply while fighting an Alien as it has low-caliber bullet-proof carapace, non-terrestrial physiology and acid for blood.

For F sake, the creature survives the vacuum of space, spaceship jet blasts, hot lead baths, can punch through thick bullet proof glass and bulkheads. I don't think you can kill an Alien with blunt force - at tops you'll stun it; the creature often seem to use its head as a ram when breaking through doors etc. so with that in mind why would a punch, kick or knee do anything to an Alien? Sure, pressure-wise, on a blunt force kind of way, you could technically try to crush it, but NO human possesses the weight and strength needed to do that (unless using a Powerloader, machinery or a vehicle of some sort). Also, in order to crush it you need to hurt it badly or pin it down first (see Wolf in AVP:R, the APC in ALIENS or the barge crane in A:C). So in other words, no.

As a side note, watch Celtic melee Grid, swinging him around and bashing him headfirst into stone pillars, and Grid just shook his head a little and pounced back at Celtic in no time. No concussion effects or inner injuries suggested, in fact Grid is just as vicious as before despite being mutilated and scarr-tattooed by Celtics before killing him. Sure, we have Wolf manhandling Aliens in AVP:R, but that movie had no consistency and portraid the Aliens as annoyingly incapable, dumb, slow and weak. Now, pit Wolf against Celtic and tell me who you think would win in an unarmed grapple/wrestling fight, or pit the AVP Aliens against the AVP:R Aliens and tell me who would win (I'm actually convinced that Grid would take care of the AVP:R Predalien with ease).

Sorry for the detour, but there just is no scenario or setup where even the strongest most able human would be able to kill an Alien in melee bare handed.

Huggs

Huggs

I'd be more likely to believe that first story if they said he stuck his finger up its butt and it had some kind of sexual crisis and ran off.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 08, 2021, 10:05:50 PM
I like how someone tried using an example of a man vs a grizzly to support their point when men HAVE killed grizzlies with their bare hands before

I'm going with urban legend for 500 dollars on that one. 

Unless it was a baby grizzly.  There is no way an average sized male is going to take out an 8' tall 1300 lb grizzly.  But feel free to try any of your marine death moves on one and see how that works out. 

reecebomb

reecebomb

They can put it just for lols (does nothing but get you killed), but perhaps can be effective against human/synthetic enemies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed