New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios

Started by Moosh89, Jan 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Author
New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios (Read 161,646 times)

Still Collating...

Exactly. I'll be giving the game a chance, but it will have an uphill battle of proving itself. I hope the devs aren't naive and that they don't repeat the same mistakes from the past games. I really do wish them the best and that corporate greediness doesn't dictate and ruin the game. 

Schrödinger

Quote from: Still Collating... on Nov 21, 2019, 10:06:30 AM
Exactly. I'll be giving the game a chance, but it will have an uphill battle of proving itself. I hope the devs aren't naive and that they don't repeat the same mistakes from the past games. I really do wish them the best and that corporate greediness doesn't dictate and ruin the game.

100% on that. Proving is gonna be hard. Nothing against Cold Iron but the team is mostly people who worked on MMOs (Like Star Trek Online) and mobile games. I fully expect Pay To Win (Not to be confused with Pay To Fashion. Cosmetics are fine, I know they need to maintain servers and pay core content developers) mechanics and clunky designs. But I really hope I'll be wrong. If it's a 60$ Product* with P2W systems I won't be touching it with a 10 foot pole. 

( * )  Note: I get why some games have those systems. But that's only okay with a Free To Play game, not a full-priced title. The only thing that should be like that in a FPT is cosmetics only and if an MMO game "Time Savers" IE: Warframe.

The Old One

The Old One

I also hope it doesn't go crazy with Alien variation, reference the bad stories of the new canon, reference the good ones by all means. Basically don't do anything I've complained about for the past ten years. ;D

Schrödinger

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 21, 2019, 04:10:18 PM
I also hope it doesn't go crazy with Alien variation, reference the bad stories of the new canon, reference the good ones by all means. Basically don't do anything I've complained about for the past ten years. ;D

We can only hope. Instead of Cov/Prom variants, I hope we see something more familiar like some the old toys 20-30 years ago.Old comic types implemented and such.  My biggest concern though is how will Marine customization and gameplay function? I hope we will look like USCM and not some Sci-Fi merc grunt as far as customization goes, though I doubt they will shoot themselves in the foot that hard starting out. The other concern is how will they make playing a Marine a challenge and terrifying? The main staple of MMO (Even in some MMOFPS types) enemies is "Bullet Sponge", kinda hard to be scared of something that gets stuck on a ladder and takes 2 minutes to kill lol. 

My hope is they will go for some type of more fast-paced/visceral combat system but alos break it up every now and then with stuff like stealth/recon, transport deliveries from one base to another (Vehicles), base defense, player-base (Yeah SWG style) defense, etc. If it's like Destiny with no variation and nothing new, it'll have a hard time trying to retain players.

The Old One

The Old One

Jesus Christ no, you've got it backwards. No Kenner nonsense, Soldier, Scout (And versions of the Scout for every animal present), Stalker, Praetorian and Neomorph by all means.

I don't mind if it goes more advanced than we've previously seen from the USCM- it's time for an upgrade anyway.

Totally agree with your hopes and concerns about the genre though, rarely is an MMO today worth a look.

Schrödinger

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 22, 2019, 10:08:23 AM
Jesus Christ no, you've got it backwards. No Kenner nonsense, Soldier, Scout (And versions of the Scout for every animal present), Stalker, Praetorian and Neomorph by all means.

I don't mind if it goes more advanced than we've previously seen from the USCM- it's time for an upgrade anyway.

Totally agree with your hopes and concerns about the genre though, rarely is an MMO today worth a look.

Oh common, the crab-like alien was fun to terrorize other kids with since you could fill it with water. But no you do have a point. Keeping it to the core variants not only would be simpler but would also keep a better flow with those core variants based on how they attack/move/etc.

On the tech thing. It depends on how many years into the future we are talking of course, and what gets pulled from the EU or made up. I don't expect to see a private in the USCM walking around in a Starship Troopers Exosuit (From the book not the Marauders Suits from the movies and animated series/games). Or more sleek looking armor sure, but not Mass Effect style sleek you know? Unless they find a way to make it look really good and make it fit with the game and still looks USCM.

If you find an MMO worth a damn let me know. I've been looking for so long i've even gone down the rabbit hole server hopping on Star Wars Galaxies servers lol.

The Old One

The Old One

I'll send you a PM on the subject.

Corporal Hicks

Looks like Prometheus concept art/screen cap to me, but I haven't checked to see if it's exact or not yet.

The Old One

The Old One

It's a frame from Prometheus, painted.

Corporal Hicks

Perhaps a hint that we'll be seeing the Engineers in some fashion in this new game. Or they just liked the moment.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its par for the course for FPS Aliens games to feature the engineers/jockeys.

Only exception I can remember off hand is Alien Res.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, we usually get them so wouldn't be a big surprise. It was always something I loved with AvP2.

JokersWarPig

If Engineers do show up and if they're anything like they are from Life and Death...oh some of our squad mates are gonna die
(providing we have any)

Corporal Hicks

I honestly wouldn't mind pulling a Galgo and getting my hands on some Engineer weaponry.

razeak

I could see the Scorpion alien from Kenner working. It wasn't far off at all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed