What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 593,842 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 04, 2019, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Dec 04, 2019, 02:47:58 AM
Come to County Cork where even I don't understand them.

Top o' tha mornin' to ya!

The only regional UK accent I sometimes struggle with is incredibly thick Glaswegian.

I was mildly surprised I had no issues during the RPG session.

The Old One

The Old One

Mildly surprised how so?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I was expecting the diversity of brit/irish accents to trip me up/confuse me a bit, but it was fine.

The Old One

The Old One

I had the opposite issue, apart from you nearly everyone sounded near identical.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Probably just based on what we're used to. Being in the south pacific I'm more primed for polynesian and asian accents but I can get a bit bogged down by european/UK etc accents occasionally.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Ha. I can get the same with Americans and Scotts sometimes.  :laugh:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I can understand any English the more I'm around it.  But what throws me off is when English people or Strayans use their own words that mean something else in America.

We had a strayan worked for us back in the day as a wholegoods salesman and the guy came up to me one day and asked me for a bush.  And I was like motherf**ker you better grow one then. 

He actually wanted a race for a bearing. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 08, 2019, 07:04:12 PMWe had a strayan worked for us back in the day as a wholegoods salesman and the guy came up to me one day and asked me for a bush.  And I was like motherf**ker you better grow one then.

:laugh:

TheSailingRabbit

I don't have a hard time understanding Hicks or Xenomorphine on the podcasts and streams.

Didn't have a hard time understanding Trevor Steedman on the AvPGalaxy podcast, either.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I did run into a bit of confusion when I didn't realize that "fanny" means something quite different in the UK. :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 08, 2019, 07:43:08 PM
I did run into a bit of confusion when I didn't realize that "fanny" means something quite different in the UK. :laugh:

Fanny can mean quite a few things!

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 08, 2019, 07:42:15 PM
I don't have a hard time understanding Hicks or Xenomorphine on the podcasts and streams.

Didn't have a hard time understanding Trevor Steedman on the AvPGalaxy podcast, either.

For me it's not so much an issue of understanding one person, as it is following a conversation between several. If they're too similar I'm like, "wait, who said that?" If they're too different it can be hard to switch between them fast enough to keep up.

Huggs

Huggs

Brett had a surefire way of dealing with that.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I always have to be careful not to gesture "Up Yours" to Brits when I really mean "Peace!" :-\

Huggs

Huggs

And I'm in danger of being mistaken for Klan whenever I do the "okay" gesture.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed