Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,912 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Ready Player One. Blu-Ray

God that was fun. So many references, I was stopping the film and counting them everytime I turned around. The chestburster, the pulse rifle, the music from predator and back to the future, the delorean, the battletoads. the shining scenes, the mechagodzilla fight. I was just grinning from ear to ear. Best movie I've seen all year. I hope they make a sequel.

The Old One

The Old One

Yuck

@SM, never actually seen Outland.
How is it?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 30, 2018, 04:37:07 AM
Yuck

We only get one physical life. I stay out of my own way, and try to have as much fun with it as possible. This movie brought back a lot of good memories and made me feel like a kid again.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Mission Impossible: Fallout
Definitely the best on in the series so far for me. Loved the little nods to the first two as well.

Popcorn
Such a random Comedy Horror but was brilliant because of it

Oscar
Stallone could do Comedy when he put his mind to it. Love the old style screwball nature of it

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 30, 2018, 03:08:07 AMReady Player One. Blu-Ray

I need to pick that up. Missed it at the cinema, despite really wanting to see it.

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 30, 2018, 04:37:07 AM@SM, never actually seen Outland.
How is it?

It's a pretty good film in its own right, but if you're a fan of Alien you'll definitely get a lot more out of it.

SM

SM

Yuck

@SM, never actually seen Outland.
How is it?

It's been called High Noon in space, and there's some pretty obvious similarities.  It's a fairly bog standard plot about a lawman whose conscience forces him to take on Con-Am (frequently referred to as The Company), despite the odds being decidedly against him.

It plays it very loose with things like explosive decompression, but Connery is solid, and Martin Bowers miniatures are nice (though not shot as well the models in Alien).  And you can see shades of Clemens in the doctor.  As an Alien fan, it has its most value in that it's clearly an unauthorised story that takes place in the same universe.

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 30, 2018, 04:44:34 AM
Yuck

We only get one physical life. I stay out of my own way, and try to have as much fun with it as possible. This movie brought back a lot of good memories and made me feel like a kid again.

Still not watched this and not in any hurry.  If I want to bring back good memories I'll actually watch movies I grew up watching.

Huggs

Huggs

2001: a space odyssey. Blu-ray

First time I've ever seen it. Wild Flick. Kind of a head trip and alttle slow but I see where it was coming from and respect what Kubrick was trying to do. The picture quality was beyond gorgeous, just a fantastic Blu. Best moment for me was when I heard the opening theme from Aliens. I was in shock. Totally not expecting that.

SM

SM

Pretty much all the music from Aliens can be found in other movies.  ;D

SiL

SiL

Dunkirk

Christopher Nolan can plot a narrative like nobody's business by f**king hell will someone sit him down and explain the importance of character at some point?

Yes, yes, it's all very clever cutting the three timelines into a cohesive narrative. Props to the writing and editing and direction for that. But I have no more reason to care about the main soldiers trying to get off the beach than I do any of the dozens of faceless soldiers who get shot or drowned or blown up around them. For all we can identify them, or with them, each scene might as well have had a different cast of characters facing obstacles. You'd lose absolutely no dramatic flow or tension.

The only reason I like Tom Hardy's character is he's Tom Hardy. The guys on the boat are the only real characters in the whole story.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I really thought that film was massively overrated.

Don't get me wrong, it was good, but some people were calling it the greatest war movie ever made - it's a long, long way from being that.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2018, 10:24:25 AM
Yeah, I really thought that film was massively overrated.

Don't get me wrong, it was good, but some people were calling it the greatest war movie ever made - it's a long, long way from being that.

Still haven't seen it but you got me thinking about what is the greatest war film of all time.

For me personally it's gotta be Apocalypse Now (love the Redux version too). It's not even really a war film rather a journey deeper into hell. Saving Private Ryan and Platoon are also magnificent. Full Metal Jacket is superb too. I loved Black Hawk Down but that film is more substance than plot (hmmm lets not mention the director).

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Godzilla vs Mothra (1992)

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Prez on Jul 31, 2018, 01:17:24 PM

Still haven't seen it but you got me thinking about what is the greatest war film of all time.

I can answer that one: Zulu.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on Jul 31, 2018, 01:17:24 PMStill haven't seen it but you got me thinking about what is the greatest war film of all time.

Private Ryan's always held a special place for me, just because I can remember when it came out - the combat scenes were so much more harrowing and visceral than any war movie I'd ever seen before, and even as a complete layman you get the impression that must be getting close to what combat is really like.

Dunno if I'd say it's the greatest of all time, but if you look at how many films have copied its style since, there's no denying it completely revolutionised the war movie genre.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Le Manoir aka The Mansion (2017)
Decent horror comedy about a group of friends celebrating new year's eve in an old mansion.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Not bad but didn't think it was great or anything. On the other hand, it's basically half a movie. Might be better to judge after seeing the other half.
Still, getting more and more tired of the classic Marvel flicks.

Quote from: Prez on Jul 31, 2018, 01:17:24 PM

For me personally it's gotta be Apocalypse Now (love the Redux version too). It's not even really a war film rather a journey deeper into hell.

I think it's supposed to show the hellish insanity that was the Vietnam war, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, it's one of my all time favorites movies.

Seen the documentary? Gives the movie a little extra.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed