Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,489 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on Jul 27, 2017, 02:07:21 PMStill yet to see Hacksaw Ridge. As for Mel well he certainly has his demons but I'll always have a soft spot for him given my Aussie heritage.

I'm a big fan of his, from Mad Max to Lethal Weapon to Braveheart to We Were Soldiers he's been in/made some absolutely fantastic movies. Just not sure he's such a nice guy in real life. Still, as someone once told me - it's the art, not the artist. No questioning his professional record.

Quote from: Prez on Jul 27, 2017, 02:07:21 PMCurious what is your favourite war movie?

Platoon. Superb film, made all the more interesting/scary by the fact every character in it was based on someone Stone actually knew/met while he was serving in Vietnam.

Special mention to Saving Private Ryan too, just because I remember it coming out, seeing it for the first time and thinking, "Holy shit, this is what war must really be like." It was so much more visceral than anything I (or anyone else beyond the guys who have done it for real) had seen before. Nothing else before or since has even come close to matching that D-day sequence.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Superman II

Decent, but would be better without the iffy comedy and the dumb rednecks.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2017, 02:23:56 PM

Platoon. Superb film, made all the more interesting/scary by the fact every character in it was based on someone Stone actually knew/met while he was serving in Vietnam.

Great film. The end sequence with Sheen in the chopper being airlifted out had me in tears. Amazing film - probably my second fav after Apocalypse Now.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Atomic Blonde

Enjoyed the hell out if this, even if I'm not sure if the ending makes total sense.

Prez

Prez

47 Metres Down (also known as In The Deep) - average shark film ... The Shallows was far better.

The Thing (2011 prequel) - been wanting to rewatch this for a while. Carpenter's original film is in my top 3 films of all time. This one wasn't bad - marred by the studios' decision to go with shitty CGI instead of ADI practical effects.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017), today's special - England.

Pretty good overall. Expands on the mythos even though I was dissapointed that

(Big spoilers, beware)

Spoiler

Unicron is recognized as Earth's core. I was totally blown away by the idea as a kid and while I'm no junkie I would've loved to see him in action...which will never happen 'cuz one simply doesn't kill planet Earth.

Maybe I'm prone to comparisons since I'm playing through the System Shock series at the moment but Quintessa = SHODAN in physical form. Add "Q" to "princess" and you get her name.

Cybertron is almost Dead Space-worthy. Those full shots got me uncomfortable...until one shot near the finale shows that it's a bit smaller than Earth. Tension lost.
[close]

(Mild spoilers for the curious)

Spoiler

The suggested SJW crap ain't much; the girl from the trailers ends up being an aide to other main characters and that's it.

Optimus Prime was all one-liners and a bit too melodramatic if you ask me.

Bumblebee during WW2 is stuff legends are made of.
[close]

It's nothing more than a good popcorn movie. The ending is open to sequels (as usual, gotta please the producers) but if Age of Extinction's wasn't pleasing enough then this one surely will be.

8/10

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Randomizer on Jul 30, 2017, 08:18:00 PM
Transformers: The Last Knight (2017), today's special - England.

Pretty good overall. Expands on the mythos even though I was dissapointed that

(Big spoilers, beware)

Spoiler

Unicron is recognized as Earth's core. I was totally blown away by the idea as a kid and while I'm no junkie I would've loved to see him in action...which will never happen 'cuz one simply doesn't kill planet Earth.

Maybe I'm prone to comparisons since I'm playing through the System Shock series at the moment but Quintessa = SHODAN in physical form. Add "Q" to "princess" and you get her name.

Cybertron is almost Dead Space-worthy. Those full shots got me uncomfortable...until one shot near the finale shows that it's a bit smaller than Earth. Tension lost.
[close]

(Mild spoilers for the curious)

Spoiler

The suggested SJW crap ain't much; the girl from the trailers ends up being an aide to other main characters and that's it.

Optimus Prime was all one-liners and a bit too melodramatic if you ask me.

Bumblebee during WW2 is stuff legends are made of.
[close]

It's nothing more than a good popcorn movie. The ending is open to sequels (as usual, gotta please the producers) but if Age of Extinction's wasn't pleasing enough then this one surely will be.

8/10

I agree with your points. It was some of those things that took me out of the movie. I had thought of ways to retcon the film for my own personal mindset, but now Ive forgotten most of them. Which means I may have to rewatch it to remember what I thought of lol

Baby Driver
Wow, what a film and better than I expected because it was different to what I expected. And that soundtrack. Damn :)

War for the Planet of the Apes
What a film. Perfectly balanced and what a way to end a trilogy. If this is the end of course. You wouldn't think the apes are CGI, that's the crazy bit

Deepstar Six
Id been looking forward to this film for ages, but I think I built it up too much in my mind. It wasn't as good as I'd hope and the creature barely featured for me

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 29, 2017, 07:24:52 PMAtomic Blonde

Really want to see that, glad it's not as bad as some people (I suspect people who don't enjoy that kind of film) are saying.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 31, 2017, 10:55:21 AMBaby Driver

Another one that I really wanted to see and missed. Must track it down.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 31, 2017, 10:55:21 AMDeepstar Six

Worth it for Miguel Ferrer exploding :)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Batman Forever

Yeah, I like this one. They really should have left the deleted scenes in, though, and not re-edited the film so that the Riddler is more or less created by Kidman being a thirsty ho. :laugh:

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

"You sunk my battleship!"

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

"Your entrance was good, his was better. The difference? SHOWMANSHIP!"

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Hah, yeah, I've always liked that film more than I probably should. Nowhere near as good as Burton's two (would've been closer if the studio hadn't cut it to pieces and removed all the darker stuff, including the f*cking scene that explains the title :laugh:) and TLJ plays a crap, second-rate, Joker rip-off of a Two-Face, but it's got just enough good in it for me to enjoy it.

Love how Batman offs Two-Face, even if it was totally stolen from the Animated Series (and makes no sense given how the film shows us he doesn't much care for his coin toss anyway lol).

I re-watched Elysium last night. Stellar visuals but threadbare plot. Predictably, Sharlto Copley is the highlight.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Child 44
Wasnt the film i expected, mainly because i think i got it mixed up with a horror movie with a similar title. But damn this was good. Some great performances by Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace and Gary Oldman

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Aug 01, 2017, 11:02:29 AMChild 44

:laugh: I did exactly the same with that and 44 Inch Chest.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Just rewatched the 3 Jurassic Park. Definitely thought the 3 was bad before, but now i think it was okay.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed