What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 593,738 times)

SiL

SiL

Honestly the very first thing I thought when you said Earl Jones was James Earl Jones. I don't think it's a race thing, dude, it's just a well-known name.

Huggs

Huggs

I was going to add an M onto the earl at first, but Earl was easier to say and flows better.

Plus I can say "Hey Earl", like in "my name Earl".

He likes it, I like it, I just didn't appreciate the "everybody's going to think you're racist" angle to the conversation.

I hate to think you can't name a cat Earl Jones without being thought of as a bigot by society. That's just going too far.

SiL

SiL

I'm not getting where the racist part is coming from. You just said people thought you named him after James Earl Jones and he's a black cat? That doesn't sound like people are calling you racist ???

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Apr 19, 2019, 05:54:23 AM
I'm not getting where the racist part is coming from. You just said people thought you named him after James Earl Jones and he's a black cat? That doesn't sound like people are calling you racist ???

My family was telling me that if I have that put down on paper as his name when I take him to the vet, the people there and his future owners will think I named him that because he's black like the actor, thus my actions might be considered racist by those people. I just hadn't considered it, and I'd hate to think that is how its going to play out.

I guess I'll have to put some generic name down for him, and just call him what I want at home.

It's just frustrating to think that's how bad all the pc business has become; to the point where I have to lie about a cats name so people won't think it has racial overtones? I'm sure my family was just being overly cautious in their advice, but now I'm legitimately worried about it.

SiL

SiL

I think everyone involved is over-thinking it, to be honest.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 18, 2019, 09:58:21 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 18, 2019, 08:32:29 PM
Got a wasp nest right outside my bedroom window, just when the weather starts warming up

Can't you call the firemen?
Over here they take care of those for free.

Not sure.  I did discover that yelling 'The Emperor protects!' and throwing a stone at the nest just pisses them off

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 19, 2019, 04:24:37 AMMust everything in this world boil down to politics? If I wanted to name him after the actor, I'd be calling him James Earl, not Earl Jones. And I usually just call him Earl.

If you call him James Earl, people might think you named him after James Earl Ray...

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 19, 2019, 06:01:30 AM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 19, 2019, 05:54:23 AM

My family was telling me that if I have that put down on paper as his name when I take him to the vet, the people there and his future owners will think I named him that because he's black like the actor, thus my actions might be considered racist by those people. I just hadn't considered it, and I'd hate to think that is how its going to play out.

I guess I'll have to put some generic name down for him, and just call him what I want at home.

It's just frustrating to think that's how bad all the pc business has become; to the point where I have to lie about a cats name so people won't think it has racial overtones? I'm sure my family was just being overly cautious in their advice, but now I'm legitimately worried about it.

Racebaiting over the naming of a cat. That's a new one.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 19, 2019, 06:36:50 AM
throwing a stone at the nest just pisses them off

Yes, it does.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Caught me some contagious skin fungus and the oinment is awful.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Papa Nurgle has his eye on you.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 19, 2019, 10:09:01 PM
Caught me some contagious skin fungus and the oinment is awful.

Sounds like it's time to track down your enemies and spread the love.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

And to hear the lamentations of their women.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 19, 2019, 10:23:54 PM
Papa Nurgle has his eye on you.

At least i still got it from slaaneshi antics, and it's probably the least awful thing you can catch that way :D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I feel sick to my stomach after eating some chicken a couple hours ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed