Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 733,202 times)

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

What if everything in Alien 3 is correct and Aliens is wrong... 🧐😉 Cameron simply didn't foresee Fincher's magnificent vision. 🤣

(I'm now picturing the 'true' events of Aliens, with the Alien 3 aesthetic, and it is glorious).

SM

SM

Aliens was all a dream - that's why the cryotubes in EEV are the same as the Nostromo.

solace97

solace97

Quote from: SM on Mar 29, 2024, 02:16:00 AMAliens was all a dream - that's why the cryotubes in EEV are the same as the Nostromo.

Okay Christopher Nolan

SiL

SiL

Alien and Aliens are the dreams. Alien 3 is the only real film.

solace97

solace97

Quote from: SiL on Mar 29, 2024, 05:56:04 AMAlien and Aliens are the dreams. Alien 3 is the only real film.
The plot twist thickens

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Alien³ does have that feeling of waking up from dreaming something you desperately wanted, but it is just a dream, the film itself tonally feels very real overall. Opening and closing moments set aside. Aliens does seemingly partake in a degree of wish fulfilment for Ripley.   

Not like Alien Resurrection which practically operates on dream logic.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 29, 2024, 12:20:28 PMNot like Alien Resurrection which practically operates on dream logic.

PCs standing around arguing in front of increasingly upset NPCs while the clock ticks makes it feel like a role-playing game session every time I watch it.

Note, I don't necessarily consider that a negative.

SiL

SiL

Alien Resurrection is that burst of static you see when you squeeze too hard on the toilet.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Alien Resurrection is one of those movies where it had all the elements to make a good movie, but was executed by a Director who was f**king clueless around how to handle an Alien movie.

If I could take the sets and aesthetic and keep it, but remove every Alien in the movie and redo them with decent designs, strip back the excessive KY jelly, remove every alien sound effect and replace them with something that sounds like a Xenomorph, replace half of the cast, use one of the infinitely cooler earlier newborn designs, completely redo the opening title sequence, cut back all the "jokes", replace the cgi ships with practical models, and redo the soundtrack with something that sounds like it belongs in the original trilogy... there's a good movie  hidden in there somewhere... I actually enjoyed reading an earlier draft of the script and picturing it differently that what we got.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

While I prefer the biomechanical/original look, the design in Rez is decent because it suits the creatures per context of that movie, they are mutants.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 29, 2024, 08:50:29 PMWhile I prefer the biomechanical/original look, the design in Rez is decent because it suits the creatures per context of that movie, they are mutants.

I don't mind them being mutants, that isn't the issue for me (though they can lose the cockroach heads) the runner in Alien 3 isn't biomechanical and it's one of my fave designs.. it's the excessive use of shit cgi that's the problem, from a time when the technology wasn't quite there yet. I'd argue the rod puppet in Alien 3 looked infinitely better. They should have rolled with more practical effects. Movies years before it look better because they knew to use cgi sparingly to complement the practical effects (Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park spring to mind as prime examples of this done well).

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quotereplace the cgi ships with practical models

Well this should be easy since the ships are already practical models...

SiL

SiL

There's nothing excessive about AR's use of CGI Aliens either. They're only used when needed - like Jurassic Park they're mostly practical.

SM

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 29, 2024, 09:00:24 PM
Quotereplace the cgi ships with practical models

Well this should be easy since the ships are already practical models...

Seriously  :laugh:

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Mar 29, 2024, 09:02:09 PMThere's nothing excessive about AR's use of CGI Aliens either. They're only used when needed - like Jurassic Park they're mostly practical.

The underwater sequence where the xenos look like they are straight out of a SEGA Saturn game? Could have been achieved with a guy in a suit (as per AvP2 swimming pool) - considering that had a guy in a suit underwater anyway for parts of that sequence, it made no sense to me. The shitty looking cgi sparkly xeno that looks like it's floating as it crawls up the ladder to grab Christie? Abysmal compared with the runner in Alien 3 leaping out of the hot lead in the furnace to climb up after Ripley.. if there's no need for it, simply don't do it (imo).😅

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed