AVP2010 was originally supposed to be an AVPR movie game

Started by predxeno, Nov 23, 2010, 02:33:33 PM

Author
AVP2010 was originally supposed to be an AVPR movie game (Read 11,075 times)

predxeno

predxeno

http://www.ugo.com/games/the-most-recent-aliens-vs-predator-was-almost-a-movie-game

QuoteLike the movie, the game would take place in Gunnison, Colorado, and the team made some levels taking place within the surrounding forests. Again, per the movie, the game would have focused on human civilians instead of space marines

According to this article, AVP2010 was initially supposed to be a game based on AVPR (different from the PSP), but the license changed.  Personally, I thought it would have been awesome, probably cause I'm a big fan of AVPR. :D  This game probably could have salvaged something from the movie and, perhaps, made it suck a little less in the eyes of the AVP community.

Staff Edit: The information below is confirmed to be true

Quote from: ikarop on Jan 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM
There's a bit of truth to the rumour in some ways, but the info from that link is inaccurate.

AvP3 came about after a successful prototype game. Set on Earth, it was loosely based on the concept of a lone Predator tracking down Aliens. When a game of AvP:R was asked for there was no time to do a 360/PS3 game, so the PSP game of AvP:R was started, with production of the full AvP game starting a little bit later.

So, to summarize, Rebellion did create an AvP:R 'esque prototype where you could only play the Predator, which did its job and got them a greenlight to make a different full AvP next-gen game and that was it. 

The prototype, PSP game and AvP3 are not related beyond that. With exception of the PSP game introduction cinematic which was all rendered from the prototype.

newbeing

You're joking right?
AvP: R is a piece of garbage in my eyes and considering games that are based on movies usually turn out to be crap, a game based on a garbage movie would probably end up being a super piece of garbage crap.

How is playing as a civilian in colorado with modern day weapons more fun or interesting for that matter, than shooting pulse rifles and using motion trackers?

Had this game been based on AvP:R  it would have sold way worse. If anything they should have distanced themselves more from the AvP movies. Thank God they at least dodged that bullet. 

Vulhala

I agree. The resulting fail may have been powerful enough to cause a pole-shift. We were lucky.

Alexa Chung

i simply can't believe what i'm reading

AcidGlow

that would've been awesome sauce!  ;D  Finishing moves left and right. hehe XD

predxeno

predxeno

I'm not saying that AVP2010 would be better as an AVPR movie game, I'm just saying that the idea is really awesome.

EDIT:
Quote from: newbeing on Nov 23, 2010, 05:17:09 PM
You're joking right?
AvP: R is a piece of garbage in my eyes and considering games that are based on movies usually turn out to be crap, a game based on a garbage movie would probably end up being a super piece of garbage crap.

The Terminator 3 Redemption game would disagree with you.

Mr. Domino

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2010, 06:40:44 PM
The Terminator 3 Redemption game would disagree with you.

Anybody can pull a single exception to the rule out of their ass. Also, Redemption isn't even a very good example...

predxeno

predxeno

Still...I wouldn't mind a DLC or something that lets us play as characters from Gunnison.

RazorSlash

While I agree it would've sold worse, some aspects of AvP:R are still there.

The main Predator(Wolf in AvP:R, I believe it was named Dark in AvP2010) goes to -insert planet here- because of an Alien infestation

The main Pred soon learns that one of his fallen comrades is infected with the chestburster, thus creating the PredAlien

The "big baddie" of, atleast the Pred campaign in the game, is the PredAlien

The PredAlien in the game is clearly heavily inspired by the Chet

I would say that Wolf is a boss and multiplayer skin aswell, but I don't think that counts. Thats more of a homage.

predxeno

The AVP2010 group did work with the Brothers Strause in making the game. :-\

RazorSlash

Where'd you hear that?

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Almost every material in this game are from AVP movies.
Predator Spear, Wristblades size, predator skins (Wolf, Celtic helmet that is also in AVP-R).
Predalien obviously but there's also the ridged head & Grid.
Sounds, textures and much more.

Even the overall atmosphere is very similar of AVP movie, the only thing that 'saved' it is probably the fact there are colonial marines and a colony (which was probably the only interesting segment of the game with the unexploited laboratory).

I remember the Strause said they were working with some company closely to do an AVP game (never said it was related to AVP-R) but it was probably some AVP-R game that the studio later decided to turn to a sample AVP game not ripped from a movie that had no possible substance to produce an attractive game.

predxeno

Quote from: RazorSlash on Nov 23, 2010, 09:19:32 PM
Where'd you hear that?

Don't remember, but I remember I read it somewhere.  Proof in the game includes the Predalien trophying one of the dead marines in the first level.

Xeno Killer 2179

I feel much better now about how this game ended up. It could have been so much worse...

Xhan

Isn't exactly new news.

Quotecompany closely to do an AVP game (never said it was related to AVP-R)

Actually they did, in public; twice.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed