Predator Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-Ray Discussion

Started by bleau, Apr 22, 2010, 05:46:35 AM

Author
Predator Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-Ray Discussion (Read 64,587 times)

Cellien

^ That last comment wasn't really necessary.   :-\

I generally like film grain to be retained, but some shots look better with the DNR.  I picked up this version for $5 anyways so I ain't complaining too much.   :D

predxeno

What does this Blu-Ray version have that the DVD Collector's Edition didn't besides the better quality and the Predators movie preview?

Valaquen

The Predator UHE is the most overblown issue on the internet, at least in home media circles. Get past Carl Weather's 'tache and the rest of the movie looks very, very good.

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

I just watched this earlier on tonight, about half an hour ago I believe, and whilst the vast majority of the feature was absolutely astounding in picture quality some of the shots within some scenes didn't look as great as I expected them to. There were a few shots when the camera didn't look like it had focused in on anything, leaving the actors and scenery blurred, other times it appeared to focus on background rather than the character leaving it looking rather odd. Also, Dillon looked like CGI in the opening when the General is explaining the mission, both the General and Dutch looked crisp and clear but Dillon looked like a bad CGI effect. :D Fortunately these instances were only a few seconds long at least and probably about a minute at most.
Sound quality was fantastic and there were some small sounds that I have never noticed before when watching the movie, be it either a Predator click or a small jungle noise, it was a clear and great improvement over the DVD version. Some snippets of dialogue seemed noticeably more audible.
The movie looked absolutely brilliant and I have no other complaints, a fantastic transfer and highly recommended if you haven't already got it in your collection.

9.5/10

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: predxeno on Dec 23, 2010, 04:54:14 AM
What does this Blu-Ray version have that the DVD Collector's Edition didn't besides the better quality and the Predators movie preview?
Nothing, to my knowledge.

Corporal Hicks

Watched this for the first time a few days back. Yeah, it's not bad. At all. Only bits that stuck out at me as being plasticy was at the start during the briefing. Especially Dillion. But other than that I thought it looked great.

meanstreak

FYI everyone - I saw the Pred UHE BRD at wal-mart tonight for $10

predxeno

Wow, that's cheap. :o

Gieferg

Gieferg

I've just check UHE and I must say it looks... AWFUL. Yes, there are some nice looking shots, but at the end of the day, it's waxy & plastic, whole cinematic feel of the movie was just killed. I will stay with my DVD.

bleau

bleau

The reason the characters look waxy is because of a number of reasons, other than the DNR. I believe make up, film location and directors shooting style are the culprit.

Arnold was smeared with Vasoline, including his face. R.G. Armstrong was covered with make up, because of his age.

"John McTiernan admitted that actor R.G. Armstrong was too old for his part, but kept Armstrong simply because he liked him. Added to this, the actor wore "too much" tanning makeup to hide his age somewhat."

It was filmed in the jungles of Palenque, Mexico. It was vary cold at night, and vary humid in the day. Running in a humid jungle = sweat. Sweat = oily skin.

I believe the opening sequence with Arnold, Weathers, and Armstrong were filmed from a far distance with the camera zoomed. Meaning a soft picture. I cant find the source for this, but will edit when I do later.

I heard the rumor that Carl Weathers mustache was airbrushed in. That is simply not true.

I think the UHE is a marvel in restoration. It's a shame the the Hi Def community blame DNR for the wax look of the actors. Maybe the film looks to new to some. But I assure that any doubts about loss of detail because of too much DNR is simply because there was not any detail to loose to begin with.

Reputable reviewers Gave poor rating on picture quality based on the use of DNR. I have seen DNR and know all about it. I don't know how the restoration was done, but fine detail is retained. If there is not enough detail in the actors faces, it was because of reasons above, which reviewers should have noted.

Film is altered all the time weather it be for removal of crew and equipment, or to fix effects. This film was altered simply because of heavy grain, and because the film looked dated. Does it look natural? No. Some scenes with the actors look unnatural but still has some nice scenes. The old disc looks natural because of the layer of grain. The old looks better in some scenes and the new one looks better in others.

Gieferg

QuoteI heard the rumor that Carl Weathers mustache was airbrushed in. That is simply not true.

It's not true because it wasn't airbrushed, it only looks like it was in UHE :P

bleau

Quote from: Gieferg on Mar 18, 2011, 06:58:10 PM
QuoteI heard the rumor that Carl Weathers mustache was airbrushed in. That is simply not true.

It's not true because it wasn't airbrushed, it only looks like it was in UHE :P

I know LOL ;D

Sharp Sticks

There are a handful of shots, in one scene, that look terrible. But the rest of the movie is gorgeous. It's like the reviewers only watched the first three minutes before reaching a verdict.

Valaquen

A lot of HD nuts are surprisingly elitist. I'm over at the Blu forums and whilst the majority of people are great, there are some who like to be very vocal and antagonistic, but hey, dat's teh internets. And yeah, the actors were smeared in oils, vaseline, whatever, so ... but sometimes you read a review and think, "That's not right." What can you do, eh?

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I know what I'm doing - waiting for Fox to take another stab at it (most likely alongside Predators 2), with a third transfer which will hopefully get it just right and please everyone in the process. I know there's a solid chance it won't happen, but this disc has received so much bad press that Fox have got to at least be thinking about it. 

Until then I'm sticking with the DVD.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed