Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 27,135 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

Quote from: Omega1 on Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM
Well ever since the first technology shots of Prometheus were released to the public I instantly recognised the style, but not in the way I had hoped. Instead of looking like the "Alien" universe, Prometheus (movie) is now looking an awful lot like the "Mass Effect" Universe (and yes I know they are both set within an Earth based universe reality-wise, but thematically they each have very different styles).

I just am not getting the "Alien" vibe, instead I am seeing what looks like a prequel to Mass Effect, here's what I mean:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg854/scaled.php?server=854&filename=masspromcomp3.jpg&res=landing

I just thought I'd quote this again...looking at the comparison picture specifically of the ME ship and the Prometheus. Aside from similar noses and paint.....those ships have NOTHING in common whatsoever.

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 16, 2012, 12:23:03 PM
I just thought I'd quote this again...looking at the comparison picture specifically of the ME ship and the Prometheus. Aside from similar noses and paint.....those ships have NOTHING in common whatsoever.

Except that they both have a long sleek hull, two engines at each side of the main hull, pointy nose, and to top it off two slit vents at the top rear end of the hull...  :o

Ghostface

I think you can link Mass Effect to just about every sci fi classic out there. The series is riddled with homages and obvious influences.

Prometheus is to Mass Effect what Aliens is to Dead Space.

ThisBethesdaSea

In terms of function, yes, those ships have similarly located engines and hulls...design-wise....there's nothing in common, NOTHING.

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Rothschild on Apr 16, 2012, 01:41:28 PM
I think you can link Mass Effect to just about every sci fi classic out there. The series is riddled with homages and obvious influences.

Prometheus Star Trek is to Mass Effect what Aliens is to Dead Space.
Technically.

penryn79

I am sure Scott has little to know knowledge of what Mass Effect is. It's his designers who would be the ones who have been fans of the game and shown him artwork that has that flavour.

Just as Cobb was inspired and influenced Star Wars at the time for the Nostromo, the contemporary artist are going to be inspired by what they are into.

All the comparisons aside, it could look like ET for all I care as long as it blow my mind.

OWLF

OWLF

I still wonder why neither Ron Cobb or Syd Mead weren´t called back for the designs in Prometheus.
They were the ones that designed the spaceships in the Alien universe,wouldn´t be the most logical thing to call them back for Prometheus??Considering it´s a "prequel" to ALIEN??

Well at least we have HR Giger back on board even if it´s just for the murals.

Capovin

really stretching it with the ship comparison omega, they look absolutely nothing alike

chupacabras acheronsis

color pattern and balance of the ship's mass. that's it.

Crazy Rich

Yea, just found this topic. There are very little and petty similarities between Prometheus and Mass Effect, and I've only seen screenshots and trailers as well as played the demo for Mass Effect 2 and 3.

Alien Universe, end of story.

ThisBethesdaSea

Finally......the light :)

OpenMaw

Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 16, 2012, 12:12:09 PM
Wow, that's some conclusive argument.  :P

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 16, 2012, 12:14:54 PM
Do we know fer sure it's not practical?

My argument is this...

...It's pretty damned unlikely. That's how I know. Not to mention there are things about it that scream CGI. It's damn good CGI though. There are shots, like the atmospheric entry, that have a lot of little quirks on the model that tell me without a doubt that it's computer generated.

The way it's shot is also very much a give away. If it were a model, even a big one, it would come out looking very different.

LarsVader

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 17, 2012, 12:46:01 AM
Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 16, 2012, 12:12:09 PM
Wow, that's some conclusive argument.  :P

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 16, 2012, 12:14:54 PM
Do we know fer sure it's not practical?

My argument is this...

...It's pretty damned unlikely. That's how I know. Not to mention there are things about it that scream CGI. It's damn good CGI though. There are shots, like the atmospheric entry, that have a lot of little quirks on the model that tell me without a doubt that it's computer generated.

The way it's shot is also very much a give away. If it were a model, even a big one, it would come out looking very different.
I agree, but all this doesn't explain the chromatic aberration in the image.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

chupacabras acheronsis

LarsVader

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 17, 2012, 03:06:00 AM
3D cameras.
Exactly!
Cameras, not digital rendering, CAMERAS!.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed