Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 27,138 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

you know what? i dont think it would look anywhere near as much like mass effect does(because it does) if it had that kind of paintjob. in other words, plain or none at all.

ThisBethesdaSea

Has anyone seen AppleSeed, the Japanimation? It's awesome, and some of the tech bear striking resemblance to the drop ship in ALIENS, and the Sulaco. Why is no one complaining about that.

I should know better then to get involved in these arguments of futility. Some people won't be happy no matter if you give them exactly what they want.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: x-M-x on Apr 15, 2012, 01:28:00 AM
The Alien franchise is OLDER than Mass Effect...

But the design philosophy of 'Mass Effect' has matured over a greater period of time than the production of 'Prometheus', specifically. Similarities are relevant for discussion.

I don't know for a fact whether or not a lot of the new hardware was influenced by those games, but it was certainly among my first impressions upon seeing a lot of it - and the first impression of several designers I know, too. Either it's deliberate or coincidental, but it is there. At the very least you could say that the stuff we've seen so far could easily be put in one of the games and would completely fit in (whereas the reverse isn't true; you couldn't put the Normandy in 'Aliens' and expect it to look like it's a logical progression of the same technological style behind the Sulaco, dropship and APC).

When the book of the film's art gets released, we'll hopefully have some quotes which can verify or disprove whether the 'Mass Effect' designs had been one of the inspirations.

SM

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 15, 2012, 04:46:38 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2012, 10:41:56 AM
QuoteI am also sick of seeing spaceships and such done in CGI when it looks a whole lot less convincing than miniature models

http://p1.la-img.com/930/18669/6321572_2_l.jpg
http://anotherplotdevice.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/sunshine-icarus-ii.jpg
:laugh:

SM, I recognize the 2nd (bottom) pic from "Sunshine"...but what the heck is the top pic from?  It is just a series of blurs.

Star Crash

Because CGI is "a whole lot less convincing than miniature models".
;)

ThisBethesdaSea

This topic is so over.

First Blood

I doubt Ridley Scott plays Mass Effect. Besides I thought the suits were inspired by Planet of the Vampires.

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 15, 2012, 07:39:44 PM
Quote from: x-M-x on Apr 15, 2012, 01:28:00 AM
The Alien franchise is OLDER than Mass Effect...

But the design philosophy of 'Mass Effect' has matured over a greater period of time than the production of 'Prometheus', specifically. Similarities are relevant for discussion.

I don't know for a fact whether or not a lot of the new hardware was influenced by those games, but it was certainly among my first impressions upon seeing a lot of it - and the first impression of several designers I know, too. Either it's deliberate or coincidental, but it is there. At the very least you could say that the stuff we've seen so far could easily be put in one of the games and would completely fit in (whereas the reverse isn't true; you couldn't put the Normandy in 'Aliens' and expect it to look like it's a logical progression of the same technological style behind the Sulaco, dropship and APC).

When the book of the film's art gets released, we'll hopefully have some quotes which can verify or disprove whether the 'Mass Effect' designs had been one of the inspirations.

Another statement I really appreciated, well put Xenomorphine!

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 16, 2012, 02:28:19 AM
This topic is so over.

No it isn't (funny how you stated the same multiple pages ago, also demanding the topic be locked), you just can't handle points of view that are different from your own!

ThisBethesdaSea

Demanding....lol...no I wasn't. The connection between ME and Prometheus has been made but not proven. How far can this go? I love many opinions....:) :)  :-*

Kol

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 16, 2012, 11:26:50 AM
Demanding....lol...no I wasn't. The connection between ME and Prometheus has been made but not proven. How far can this go? I love many opinions....:) :)  :-*

as long as we stay on-topic it will last forever.

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=ee7ed66ee7f0.jpg

can anybody mark out any other similarities?
never played mass effect, though.

LarsVader

I think I just found some evidence that the Prometheus is in fact a photographed model.
In that image on the lower left engine is some chromatic abberation visible.
I know this can be simulated but I found this quite often in newer fx movies on models (especially in the StarWars prequels).

OpenMaw

Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 16, 2012, 11:48:45 AM
I think I just found some evidence that the Prometheus is in fact a photographed model.
I know this can be simulated but I found this quite often in newer fx movies on models (especially in the StarWars prequels).

It's not a practical model.  :)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

It may not be a practical model, but it's flawless. I've never seen such perfect detail.

LarsVader

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 16, 2012, 12:02:50 PM
Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 16, 2012, 11:48:45 AM

It's not a practical model.  :)
Wow, that's some conclusive argument.  :P

ThisBethesdaSea

Do we know fer sure it's not practical?

EGM1966

Looks to me like no more than the coincidence of designers pursuing some similar themes.  Both sets of designs clearly draw on stuff from before.  Both are going for a sleeker look than Alien - although in terms of detail it's obvious the Prometheus designs have a lot more of the Alien style detail.

I don't see much similiarity in the ground vehicles TBH.  They look like stuff that's been echoed for years going back to stuff like Thunderbirds and the like.

The ships also look very different - the ship from Mass Effect is actually pretty poor I'd say, and is based on something that would need an atmosphere by the look of it, whereas the Prometheus ship is clearly a spaceship.  What makes them look similar is the colour scheme which is very similar but probably a coincidence.  Black and yellow is a very common colour scheme for marking vehicles and appears all over the place.

I really, really doubt Ridley Scott would be echoing a game (not to knock the game) so I reckon we're just seeing a certain similarity of form and colour scheme.

When you look close though the designs are really very different, especially the spaceship.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed