brand new official pics!!!

Started by BonesawT101, Nov 23, 2011, 12:20:32 AM

Author
brand new official pics!!! (Read 153,813 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: zuzuki on Nov 24, 2011, 02:06:42 PM
as for the suits i think they needed some redesign.think about it if they spend a lot of time on that alien planet or cave thing they need to be mobile.run,jump like we saw in the bootleg leaked.you can't do that in a big bulky space suit.you need something streamlined

You change that sort of stuff in the script, not adapt the costumes around it. Not in something which is meant to be perceived in the light of consistent technological progression.

Quote from: Vulhala on Nov 24, 2011, 07:06:05 PM
Kind of, but as was said earlier; horses for courses.

The Prometheus is a research ship. Nostromo was essentially a tug. You don't get given Navy Seal gear to go tourist diving in the Red Sea with mate  ;)

They're both Weyland-Yutani ships (and going by the inquest during 'Aliens', still regarded as a high-value investment, decades later).

The only way I can think this is reconciled, is that the Nostromo's might have been designed with multi-purpose EVA in mind, while these might have been packed for mere planetary environmental protection.

Otherwise, it's going to seem more like it's set during the time of 'Alien Resurrection' than 'Alien'.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Nov 25, 2011, 01:04:50 AM
There is so much comparison to A L I E N here it's pretty disappointing.

You didn't expect comparisons when it's meant to have a direct link to a well-known cinematic masterpiece? :)

It's not like we're getting torn up about minute details (if you want that, look back at the hilarious outrage by Predator fan boys at Anderson for daring to give them a couple of extra upper teeth)... Things like the computer displays and spacesuit aesthetics were shown extensively in the original. If these don't at least look a bit similar, it's going to break your willing suspension of disbelief when you watch them in chronological order.

It's not like it would've taken masses of effort to get some bulky suits. Stuff like 'Event Horizon' did it and I'm betting even low budget TV shows can make some up if they want to. They could probably even get some off-the-shelf Hollywood stuff if they wanted, all things considered.

Think of it this way: If really obvious details like these are suffering from glaring discontinuity, does that bode well for how things like the Space Jockey are going to be portrayed? That's why people perceive things like these as potential red flags.

Nobody's saying it's going to be a failure. Just that they're interesting things to note.

Especially when there really isn't anything else to discuss. :)

And remember, a good part of what made the original so atmospheric and immersive was how industrial it all looked. That was a key part of why it was successful. It conveyed the realism of space travel in a way which perfectly matched the 'every man' nature of the 1970s cast, themselves. 'Prettying up' everything gives an unfortunate impression of this coming across as more superficial.

Let's hope the finished production proves fears wrong.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I would say basing ones opinion about the continuity or not of Prometheus, without having seen the film, on redesigned space suits is getting tied up in tedium and minutiae. Prometheus is NOT Alien. At this moment we don't know what it is. Let it breathe a bit before you come down with such judgement on space suits that really don't do anything to take away from A FILM WE HAVEN'T SEEN YET. As it stands, to me, I'm even more excited about what Prometheus has in store. I don't want to see Alien again, nor do I want the aesthetic from ALIEN replicated just to make me feel better. Prometheus needs to take risks on all levels. I bet it's gonna do that and more.

Because this image really inspired so much promise and hope. I think we'll be okay.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Here's my thoughts on my these EVA suits are more form-fitting than Alien's.

In Prometheus, they were custom made for each crewmember. In Alien, they were more one-size-fits-all.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I would say that the tights that they are wearing underneath are the form fitting ones.  The main piece seems to be identically sized for Rapace and Fassbender - David being taller, has more space between the chest and waist piece, and Noomi.  less. 

Interestingly, when I looked at it closer, it seems that Green has a different chestpiece.  The others have these segments that line up in a parallel formation.  His, on the other hand, seems to be layered, with each subsequent layer wider than the others.

My excuse for the suits in general - EVA suit for an environment that is generally stable, maybe not for use in space.  The Nostromo suits are much more armored and rough, and seem to be built for withstanding space debris and trekking around Thedus.

SiL

SiL

Simplest explanation is they're SCUBA suits for alien atmospheres (so technically SCABA or just SCBA suits).

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

By the way,the first official image from Prometheus featured an as yet to be named member of the cast in what appears to be a rather bulky space suit....so,there's obviously a piece we're missing here. Relax people. ;) :)

nendo

nendo

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Nov 25, 2011, 04:09:51 AM
Here's my thoughts on my these EVA suits are more form-fitting than Alien's.

In Prometheus, they were custom made for each crewmember. In Alien, they were more one-size-fits-all.

I agree. This ship will more than likely be more advanced than the one in Alien. The ones in alien was a towing ship so they would probably be paying minimium for a space suit. This looks to be more advanced and could well have military gear. which will feature the latest tech and better material

Engineer1

Engineer1

Quote from: SiL on Nov 25, 2011, 05:43:40 AM
Simplest explanation is they're SCUBA suits for alien atmospheres (so technically SCABA or just SCBA suits).

Exactly this (i said spelunking in a previous post).
These are NOT SPACE suit!
This the storywise explanation.

And from a shooting pov.
Since they need to perform a lot of action in the movie in those suits, they have to be thinner

robbritton

robbritton

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Nov 25, 2011, 05:54:32 AM
By the way,the first official image from Prometheus featured an as yet to be named member of the cast in what appears to be a rather bulky space suit....so,there's obviously a piece we're missing here. Relax people. ;) :)

Exactly what I was about to say - the 'bouncing with a briefcase' shot feature a suit which, in silhouette at least, is far more in line with the Alien EVA suits. We don't really know what we're looking at at this stage - these could be what they're wearing UNDER bulkier suits that they've shed for ease of movement. It's all good conversation fodder, if nothing else!

Deuterium

Deuterium

Just thought I might chime in on the issue regarding the "ergonomic" Prometheus spacesuits.  In fact, this isn't Science Fiction, it is Science Fact, and it is here now.   Courtesy of M.I.T., it is in protoype and proof of concept testing phase.  It is a skin-suit that is revolutionary.  Instead of traditional space-suits that are pressurized (think Michelin tire man), which results in an unwieldy, bulky suit which makes movement difficult and fatiguing...the EVA / Bio-Suit under development uses mechanical counter-pressure to protect the astronaut.

Here is a link to the MIT page that details the prototype suit:
http://mvl.mit.edu/EVA/biosuit/index.html

Engineer1

Engineer1

Awesome!
Thanks for the link.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: SiL on Nov 25, 2011, 05:43:40 AM

Yeah, actually, that's the best explanation.

Quote from: deuterium on Nov 25, 2011, 11:08:36 AM
Just thought I might chime in on the issue regarding the "ergonomic" Prometheus spacesuits.  In fact, this isn't Science Fiction, it is Science Fact, and it is here now.   Courtesy of M.I.T., it is in protoype and proof of concept testing phase.  It is a skin-suit that is revolutionary.  Instead of traditional space-suits that are pressurized (think Michelin tire man), which results in an unwieldy, bulky suit which makes movement difficult and fatiguing...the EVA / Bio-Suit under development uses mechanical counter-pressure to protect the astronaut.

Here is a link to the MIT page that details the prototype suit:
http://mvl.mit.edu/EVA/biosuit/index.html

Problem with those is they have to be perfectly form fitting. Otherwise the skin will literally expand to fill in the empty spaces, which is quite problematic when you think about armpits or breasts.

Although, they are finding ways to solve that problem.

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

There´s no doubt that Prometheus is connected with A L I E N,but i´ll watch  this film with an open mind.
The future will tell us if Ridley was wrong or not. :)

Look into my eye

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Nov 25, 2011, 01:04:50 AM
There is so much comparison to A L I E N here it's pretty disappointing. Obviously we love ALIEN and we love Ridley Scott, but this film won't succeed if we don't let it. Letting it means letting the space suits look different, having each character be their own instead on insufferable comparisons to the characters from ALIEN. Letting Prometheus succeed means judging the film on the film itself and not quick shots or promotional photos.

Right on the money.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Nov 25, 2011, 05:54:32 AM

Um, nope.  Take another look at that picture.  It's the same outfit, the light on the upper chest plate (near the neck) is even in the same place.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed