10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 148,557 times)

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

No offense but anyone that would argue that Prey is worse than Shane Black's The Predator is either being disingenuous or seriously needs to re-evaluate what a decent movie is.

I don't think this is the best film I've ever seen or anything, I do think there are some fair criticisms and faults, but even arguing that this is like a god-awful terrible film or isn't at least a competently made film seems pretty dishonest/misguided to me.

Genuinely not trying to insult anybody or start any fires or anything, but that's just how I feel about a lot of the more scathing and 1 or 1/2 star reviews I've seen.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 30, 2022, 09:09:28 PMNo offense but anyone that would argue that Prey is worse than Shane Black's The Predator is either being disingenuous or seriously needs to re-evaluate what a decent movie is.

Don't worry, I suspect the Sword of Damocles is near.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Aug 30, 2022, 08:23:09 PMThis movie sucks, I expected it to be bad, but it was even worse. One of the worst movies I watched this year

exorcissy72

exorcissy72

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Aug 30, 2022, 08:23:09 PMDutch was confident at beginning and devastated at the end of original Predator.

I disagree on all of this. Dutch has minimal to no character growth in the original Predator. There is nothing to suggest in dialogue or Schwarzenegger's acting that he's devastated. This isn't a knock on the original Predator, but Dutch doesn't have an arc -- save when he has to forgo his reliance on modern technology and become more primitive.

Prey is a bit of a different animal in the way it's structured, but we we see Naru fail consistently throughout the movie. She loses, fight after fight, and progressively levels up. The thing I think people miss in the movie is that for the majority of the film Feral doesn't view Naru as a threat of any kind so he ignores her, which is how she's able to get close enough to it to learn enough about it to fight it in the end.

As with all things YMMV, but Prey works for me and stands out as one of the best entries in the franchise.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Just give me that Blu-ray already.

exorcissy72

exorcissy72

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 30, 2022, 11:18:52 PMJust give me that Blu-ray already.

RIGHT?!?! I want a hard copy just in case hulu gets sold and Prey ends up vanishing into the ether.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 30, 2022, 11:18:52 PMJust give me that Blu-ray already.

That 4K UHD too please ;-)

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Aug 30, 2022, 09:09:28 PMNo offense but anyone that would argue that Prey is worse than Shane Black's The Predator is either being disingenuous or seriously needs to re-evaluate what a decent movie is.

I don't think this is the best film I've ever seen or anything, I do think there are some fair criticisms and faults, but even arguing that this is like a god-awful terrible film or isn't at least a competently made film seems pretty dishonest/misguided to me.

Genuinely not trying to insult anybody or start any fires or anything, but that's just how I feel about a lot of the more scathing and 1 or 1/2 star reviews I've seen.

Agree 100%. Its pretty obvious those who say "Prey" is the worst predator movie is nothing but a troll...or has an agenda.

Preddie-nokas

Preddie-nokas

No offense to anyone, but anyone who finds this movie credible is probably joking. This movie got almost everything wrong, is not in Predator's spirit, Feral has wrong design and doesn't behave like Predator. Movie is not consistent nor believable. I honestly believe this movie got most things wrong out of all Predator's movies so far.

Let's check what doesn't work:

• A flower that lowers body temperature without the patient dying, and Feral doesn't see that kind of people on his thermal view, this is just bad physics, if you are losing body temperature that means you are radiating that heat in the environment, so they would be even more visible
  • Feral doesn't know how his shield works, so he amputates his own arm
  • Feral doesn't know how his bio-mask works, so he headshots himself
  • The scene of running in the meadow, when Feral kills Naru's tribe member, and catches her when she falls in a trap shows that Feral is much faster and more agile, but in a final battle Naru becomes superhero and is much more agile than Feral ? Also Feral agility is seen in burned forest when he is jumping from tree to tree. And, Feral is extremely strong, because he killed bear in melee combat, and lifted bear like it was toy. That shows that movie is non consistent, Feral should have killed Naru in a melee combat, but she beat him although he is faster, more agile, and stronger than her. It is just bad and not convincing.
  • Feral looks at several French men how they are loading guns instead attacking immediately, also he steps in front of Naru's loaded pistol like some kind of idiot and just looks, like he is asking, please headshot me.
  • Taabe is best warrior and he is fiercely fighting against Feral, but at one moment he just quits without reason, and says to Naru's you go, I die. Why he didn't continue to fight, why he talked to her in the middle of the combat with Feral and just surrender ? That is just bad scripting so we can have one to one melee fight between Feral and Naru.
  • Feral doesn't behave like Predator, he is not stealthy, he is not observing, he goes in direct melee combat in the open, and that happens constantly
  • Most ugly and stupid Predator design so far, mandibles are wide open and non functional, face is wierd, eyes are too wide separated and on the side of the face which is not hunter but prey design (see lions eyes, wolfs, etc.), hunters eyes are oriented in front, not to the side
  • Feral has some kind of honor code, but it is not consistent, he doesn't kill Naru who he hunted in the meadow when he catches her, but kills a man without leg or any weapons who is pretending to be dead
  • Cliche moments, "If it bleeds it can be killed", OMG, I rolled my eyes when they said that
  • Relatively bad animal's CGI
  • Bad actors, no one is even surprised that being which doesn't look like anything on Earth is suddenly here, nobody discusses that, characters don't change from start to end of the movie, there is no emotions or personal growth, you don't even care about characters

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

@Preddie-nokas I suggest you change the attitude of your posts if you want to stay on the boards

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

My god, some of these takes are exhausting at times.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

And baffling because they insist on repeating themselves without backing up their claims in the slightest.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Said it before, and I'll say it again. It's quite clear here who has only seen the film once, or only half paid attention to it while watching. You don't have to love the film, or even have it memorized with tons of viewings. But it seems to me that there may be quite a few here that need to rewatch the film, and that's including some veteran members here.

It's telling when some are completely going off about something, but missed huge details or visual cues the film hands to you. Story beats or character moments. Even the Predator itself has a lot going on. I love the way the movie mirrors the hunt with Naru and Feral. I have noticed new subtle things in every viewing, my recent was how much practical face is used at the night fight and not as much CGI as I'd remembered. Not that that makes the story any better having the practical head.

But speaking of heads, I've been scratching mine at quite a few takes here. Many even coming from the long timers. I think we need to let this movie marinate for a bit. Curious to see how many people might be changing their tune in a few years after we've had some time with Prey.

exorcissy72

exorcissy72

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Aug 31, 2022, 06:58:37 AM
    • A flower that lowers body temperature without the patient dying, and Feral doesn't see that kind of people on his thermal view, this is just bad physics, if you are losing body temperature that means you are radiating that heat in the environment, so they would be even more visible

So this is something you either buy or you don't. For my money the movie establishes the flower early enough and what it does that it works for the world of the film. Is it real? No. But neither are intergalactic trophy hunters.

The way I read the scene: Feral's stuck in the tree and tries to get himself out with his shield. Naru shoves the spear so the instead of the shield cutting the tree it slices off his own arm.

Feral doesn't know his biomask is gone. Doesn't realize that Naru has the mask set up.

• The scene of running in the meadow, when Feral kills Naru's tribe member, and catches her when she falls in a trap shows that Feral is much faster and more agile, but in a final battle Naru becomes superhero and is much more agile than Feral ? Also Feral agility is seen in burned forest when he is jumping from tree to tree. And, Feral is extremely strong, because he killed bear in melee combat, and lifted bear like it was toy. That shows that movie is non consistent, Feral should have killed Naru in a melee combat, but she beat him although he is faster, more agile, and stronger than her. It is just bad and not convincing.

No, she beat him because she got the drop on him.

• Feral looks at several French men how they are loading guns instead attacking immediately, also he steps in front of Naru's loaded pistol like some kind of idiot and just looks, like he is asking, please headshot me.

Both times Naru has the pistol, Feral is doing something else. Furthermore the movie goes out of its way to explain that Feral didn't view Naru as a threat.

• Taabe is best warrior and he is fiercely fighting against Feral, but at one moment he just quits without reason, and says to Naru's you go, I die. Why he didn't continue to fight, why he talked to her in the middle of the combat with Feral and just surrender ? That is just bad scripting so we can have one to one melee fight between Feral and Naru.

He's sacrificing himself so his sister can escape and eventually kill Feral. It's an inverse of the scene with with the lion. You might not like the execution, but this is Action Movie 101 type stuff. It happens in Aliens, hell, it even happens in the original Predator!

• Feral doesn't behave like Predator, he is not stealthy, he is not observing, he goes in direct melee combat in the open, and that happens constantly

This is a preference thing, but Feral is clearly a new hunter, just like Naru.

• Most ugly and stupid Predator design so far, mandibles are wide open and non functional, face is wierd, eyes are too wide separated and on the side of the face which is not hunter but prey design (see lions eyes, wolfs, etc.), hunters eyes are oriented in front, not to the side

This is all preference, but I liked Feral's new face.

• Feral has some kind of honor code, but it is not consistent, he doesn't kill Naru who he hunted in the meadow when he catches her, but kills a man without leg or any weapons who is pretending to be dead

It's made very clear that Feral doesn't kill Naru when it finds her in the bear trap because it didn't view her as a threat. Naru took that as an insult.

Naru engineers a situation where the guy with no leg HAS a weapon. She gets him to grab his gun and point it at her. She then moves out of the way of Feral (who doesn't see her, because of the flower), who attacks him.

• Bad actors, no one is even surprised that being which doesn't look like anything on Earth is suddenly here, nobody discusses that.

They discuss it as much as they talk about it in the original movie. Naru says it reminds her of a monster from stories. But if you look at Amber Midthunder's face in many of the sequences -- particularly when her people are getting killed she looks terrified. But since most of this movie is concerned with survival there just isn't a whole lot of time to ask the big questions like -- just WTF is hunting me?

Quotecharacters don't change from start to end of the movie, there is no emotions or personal growth, you don't even care about characters

Naru absolutely changes from the start of the movie to the end. She becomes more confident in her abilities, she levels up and learns about the personal sacrifice it takes to be a war chief. Personally, I liked Naru and Taabe a lot and I'd rank them as some of the best characters in the franchise.[/list]

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Welp I don't mind breaking this down.

You can say the same thing about mud. Mud doesn't keep it cold for that well and that long. In fact, for both the flower and mud, to cover their bodies to such cold temperatures would shock them into hypothermia. Both concepts have enough reality based ideas for the audience to forgive the actual physics of lowering the body temperature because it makes a fun element to the story. Suspense of Disbelief as they call it. Hell this very trope is how Jurassic Park is built upon and managed to be a successful series. You can clone from blood samples but not from blood samples of millions of years, DNA doesn't last that long and it will crumble but the film wouldn't be as fun wouldn't it? It's the same principle here, the mud and flower provides cold cover from thermal vision.

Naru thrusts the spear and Feral parries but the force behind it pushes the shield right into his arm. If you trained in HEMA or other combat sports, you'd understand that blows from any weapon will not always outright disperse when you parry or block it. The energy will always transfer somehow, whenever the blow is from a man or woman. Weapons are a combat force multiplier and it will always have a increased lethal factor adding into the fight. 

He didn't know the mask is missing on the count of him too busy dealing with a headshot from a huge ass .50 call musket ball. A wound from a bullet of that caliber will cause massive head trauma, no one will recover from that blow that easily even if you are a Predator. At that point he assumes the mask is gone. How would he have known Naru will use it against him? He doesn't have a single clue due to underestimating her and dealing with a headshot.

He also goes after her from tree to tree in the final battle. That tree trap? She knew of his agility and that he will catch up to her so she planned the spike tree trap on the exact place that Feral would have gotten her. You are right in that Feral's agility would have gotten her and she planned for this exact scenario. It just proves how a capable strategist she is to foresee this possible scenario happen.

Also you can say the same for Feral dominating Taabe, seeing how agile he was to dodge all those spear thrusts and sweeps from Feral when they fought. It doesn't surprise me that she knows how to fight too seeing how they are sibling and learned it from each other. I mean the beginning of the film shows that they hang out and train together, in the hawk scene of the duo hunting with their bows.

Since the last Frenchman headshot him and killed himself for it, he figured Naru will do the same. In that retrospect, its also him learning from experience that humans will go for headshot blows that will deal the killing blow. Of course he would have no idea how tricky they can achieve that, seeing how Naru sneaks up on him from behind with the flower medicine hiding her body temperature. It's his first time hunting on Earth so everything is going to be very new to him.

Combat pragmatism. His opponent is good, so he decides to play the stealth kill card using his cloak as the trump card. People throw dirt in the eyes, use the environment to their advantage, go for the "cheap shot" in any combat life and death situation. Taabe saw this and knew that eventually Feral will get to him due to his cloaking, you can't hit what you can't see. He gave her sister a fighting chance to live, something that any family with love in their group will do for one another. This is nothing new or bad, it's all in the line. 

If the name "Feral" meaning existing in a wild or untamed state, having returned to an untamed state from domestication, or suggestive of a wild animal; savage, doesn't clue you in on his behavior then you gotta read a dictionary more often. It's an individual behavior, some Predators will go for a stealthy route and others wanna go all in balls out.

Well this is subjective at this point, I'm just going to talk about the story.

That was his kill. In any hunt, you finish the kill you made. You wounded it, you track it down, and you finish the job. This is what you do in hunting in real life as it's the ethical way you are taught to do when you are going for your hunting license, and with the Predators caring about honor, this would also go in their line of finish the kill that you start.

• Cliche moments, "If it bleeds it can be killed", OMG, I rolled my eyes when they said that
    No lie, I would have preferred a different variant of that line but that is besides the point.

• Relatively bad animal's CGI
    Well they did say the film is low budget so perhaps with the success of the film, Fox will pump more money the next time around for better quality CGI.

• Bad actors, no one is even surprised that being which doesn't look like anything on Earth is suddenly here, nobody discusses that, characters don't change from start to end of the movie, there is no emotions or personal growth, you don't even care about characters

She had tried multiple times to talk about a huge ass thing killing bears with it's bare hands but no one believed her. And maybe you don't but lot of people here did and like her character alot. A combat strategist, adaptable, insightful, observant, a strong spirit that desires to do more in life, all noble qualities.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
    Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed