Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 148,772 times)

Kradan

Kradan

This f**ker made me thirsty for a Predator movie set in WWI:

I also think Kindred would make for an interesting movie seeing how it deals with a character having a Predator-related PTSD

Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker

I can't help but feel like it's 2015 all over again coming out of the Force Awakens. The fans are so happy and celebrating a return to form for their favourite franchise, and here's me, and evidently a small minority of others, wondering why.

Most of my criticisms i have already been addressed by others. All I'll say is that while i didn't hate it, and there was definitely moments I enjoyed here and there, ultimately i found the film pretty boring, because i didn't care about any of the characters and there was no tension. 5 /10

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

@The Shuriken

Feral knew exactly how his spear gun worked. For whatever reason viewers aren't getting it though.....

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Long Time Lurker on Aug 09, 2022, 11:56:11 AMI can't help but feel like it's 2015 all over again coming out of the Force Awakens. The fans are so happy and celebrating a return to form for their favourite franchise, and here's me, and evidently a small minority of others, wondering why.

I think the fact that majority of viewers were severely underwhelmed by The Predator has something to do with it

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 09, 2022, 12:55:17 PMI think the fact that majority of viewers were severely underwhelmed by The Predator has something to do with it

Agreed.  I think that following a total shit show like The Predator, even the most basic of filmmaking competence can seem extraordinary by comparison.  Once the honeymoon period is over, I suspect that the majority view of Prey will slowly shift to a much less overwhelmingly positive slant.  The aforementioned The Force Awakens is a great analogy; that movie was overwhelmingly beloved upon release because unlike the prequels, it was competently shot and acted, without excessive CGI but once the smoke had cleared, people started to recognise the movie for its own flaws and began to acknowledge that it wasn't quite the return to form which it was being hailed as upon release.

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

I don't even think about The Predator...at all. I didn't go into Prey comparing this to The Predator. I went into Prey comparing it to the years and years of Predator lore I've been obsessed with since I was a kid and Prey checked all the boxes for me. If you didn't like it then great, but don't come up and start trying to convince others that that their reactions to this movie arent genuine or wont hold water in a few months time. That's as ridiculous as me trying to tell you that in a few months time you'll love this movie. That's nonsense.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

When Prey's marred by two shit sequels maybe the comparison will hold some water.

Master

Master

I dig Prey but to be honest it's not outstanding movie. It's ok., on pair with Predators. It does many things right. It fails with many on the same time.

426Buddy

426Buddy

The only thing it doesn't get right in my eyes is the face under the mask. I pretty much love everything else here, definitely a step or two above Predators for me.

This whole movie just works for me. I've been a predator fan since my earliest memories, watching it with my older brothers when when dad brought home our first VCR. I have every comic ever published and most of the books. When nerdy kids in the early 90s were into star wars and star trek I was into Aliens and Predator. All I can say is that this is the first time I've truly loved any film with a predator in it since predator 2.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: Master on Aug 09, 2022, 02:02:33 PMI dig Prey but to be honest it's not outstanding movie. It's ok., on pair with Predators. It does many things right. It fails with many on the same time.

I agree with this. I have a soft spot for Predator movies so as long as they're competently made, my enjoyment of them is disproportionately high. Objectively I give both Predators and Prey a 7/10 and I wouldn't call either of them must-watches for people that aren't fans of the franchise. But I thoroughly enjoyed both of those movies. I just love watching a Predator do Predator stuff.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I dunno, general audiences and critics seem to be enjoying it a lot.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prey_2022

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I actually think Prey told a good enough story to be liked quite much by non predator fans.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Part of me wonders if living in Michigan with so many Native American tribes has an effect on my enjoyment as well. I mean everything where I live is named after their culture, my county is named Ogemaw, after Chief Ogemaw from the Chippewa tribe lol.

I've always held a certain reverence for their culture myself and I do enjoy films like Last of the Mohicans.

In any case after 2 watches I give this movie solid 8/10 and as a fan 9/10. I find so much to love about all the predator goodness here, especially the new toys. 

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

BigDaddyJohn I agree with you. My wife for example rolls her eyes at Predator movies but she wants to watch Prey over and over again. I think purists have to remember that this movie was made sort of out of a labor of love and not with any pretense that it would revive the entire franchise, which means the director and writers could tell their own story how they wanted to tell it without necessarily being beholden to some of the aspects of the past movies.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 09, 2022, 02:55:38 PMI find so much to love about all the predator goodness here, especially the new toys. 

I loved all the toys Feral had in this movie... buuut I thought some of them felt a bit too advanced knowing it's almost 300 years before the first movie. But maybe I'm nitpicking here, and like I said, what cool f**king toys that was !

Quote from: BIOROBOT on Aug 09, 2022, 03:16:35 PMBigDaddyJohn I agree with you. My wife for example rolls her eyes at Predator movies but she wants to watch Prey over and over again. I think purists have to remember that this movie was made sort of out of a labor of love and not with any pretense that it would revive the entire franchise, which means the director and writers could tell their own story how they wanted to tell it without necessarily being beholden to some of the aspects of the past movies.

I think they clearly had enough liberty to do what they wanted yes. Now that I think of it, I saw no one credit Patrick Aison for writing it with Trachtenberg. I remember Fred Dekker got mentioned numerous times here and there while The Predator was everywhere promoting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed