Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 148,721 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Can you post some of these ?

skhellter

skhellter

search for @fnvoodoomagic on twitter.

anyway focusing on the normal audiences...

film is being loved by most critics and film fans. I see lots of fan art popping up (some really great stuff being made atm).
Amber and Prey (and other Predator films) have been trending for the last few days on twitter.

Film is getting love by other very talented directors (barry jenkins for instance)

It's not a divisive movie at all.

anecdotally, talking to some people on reddit/fan discords...
they tend to stay clear off this forum due to how some of the more negative people carry themselves.

Not saying people can't dislike the film or aspects of it... but maybe consider how the way you interact with others affects the overall community. Maybe don't be weird reply guys that only repeat the same negative takes every time someone writes anything vaguely positive.

(the very positive poll in this very site about Prey vs a lot of the comments... kinda says a lot).

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: BIOROBOT on Aug 08, 2022, 03:44:43 PM@oduodu

As a hardcore predator fan myself I love this movie including the new Predator. There :)

that is great.  how do you rate it against the original?

and do you think feral predator feels  more like a super predator(from Predators) than a normal predator like jungle hunter.

do you think the ship that brought the feral predator contained super or normal predators?

i have a theory that the feral predator is a super predator captured by normal predators when he was very young and never received a full education. here released on earth as an attempt to Guage the available prey strength on earth.

Kradan

Kradan

I can just feel @Corporal Hicks internal anguish over all these "super-predators" being brought up

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

@oduodu

The way this movie plays out and the way it was written and what not I'm not sure super preds play any role in the grand scheme of things. I think the idea of super predators sort of falls in line with every other kind of predator out there in the way of the fact that there are many different types of preds. The way the movie played it would seem that Prey depicts the first time any predator has been on earth because clearly Feral wasn't aware of human kind as he searched for the most threatening species. We don't exactly know when the super preds even became a thing. We're they around 300 years ago? It's fun to speculate. I personally didn't see Feral as being like any other predator which for me was really refreshing. There are different Predator clans sure, but they are all still individuals just like us.

And as far as where I would rank Prey in relation to the original, that's extremely subjective I think. For me personally I put it right along side the 87 movie. I've watched Predator 87 so many damn times I think I am able to see that movie for what it is, both the good and the bad, just like I am able to see Prey for what it is. Both are fantastic.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: BIOROBOT on Aug 08, 2022, 05:25:44 PM@oduodu

The way this movie plays out and the way it was written and what not I'm not sure super preds play any role in the grand scheme of things. I think the idea of super predators sort of falls in line with every other kind of predator out there in the way of the fact that there are many different types of preds. The way the movie played it would seem that Prey depicts the first time any predator has been on earth because clearly Feral wasn't aware of human kind as he searched for the most threatening species. We don't exactly know when the super preds even became a thing. We're they around 300 years ago? It's fun to speculate. I personally didn't see Feral as being like any other predator which for me was really refreshing. There are different Predator clans sure, but they are all still individuals just like us.

so perhaps there is a chance that feral and the rest of the crew on the ship is a completely new tribe of predators. interesting

ty

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

Could be, we just have no way of knowing, which honestly I think adds more for us to chew on than showing us the inside of the ship. Hell it could have had no one at all in it and could have been autopiloted.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Quote from: oduodu on Aug 08, 2022, 04:35:55 PM

As a hardcore predator fan myself I love this movie including the new Predator. There :)

and do you think feral predator feels  more like a super predator(from Predators) than a normal predator like jungle hunter.

do you think the ship that brought the feral predator contained super or normal predators?

i have a theory that the feral predator is a super predator captured by normal predators when he was very young and never received a full education. here released on earth as an attempt to Guage the available prey strength on earth.

As a predator hardcore fan I really enjoyed this film. The cinematography really captured the atmosphere and setting.

I enjoyed Naru and her brother Taabe. I thought they had excellent chemistry together. If you look at my previous posts before Prey was released I voiced my concerns about how Naru might be portrayed in today's woke atmosphere. I can honestly say I didn't feel that this was a woke film in the slightest. Naru's journey was well earned.

I've mentioned ad nazium how different Feral felt in this film but I honestly enjoyed that aspect too. I think without too much fansplaining it helps add individuality among the predators. As I've previously mentioned I believe Feral absolutely knows how to use his weapons as he dispatches numerous parties with ease.  I think head trauma and arrogance get the better of him in the end.

Feral's weapons were interesting and it was fun watching him on screen. My one gripe is that I wasn't crazy about the face redesign. It was just okay for me.

Lastly I loved the score. I thought it was different and unique. I didn't mind that we had no Musical cues of previous films which leads to Prey's individuality. Overall I'd say 7/10.

JokersWarPig2

JokersWarPig2

I liked Prey a lot more than I thought I would. It had solid predator action, decent pacing, and its probably been my most enjoyable experience with the franchise since Predators. I didn't like it as much as P1/P2/Predators but I do think it's better than all the other entries featuring the Predator. Definitely would see it in a theater if it was ever an option.

I have my gripes and stuff I would tweak to make it more enjoyable for me, but its not as long of a list as the one for The Predator.

Spoiler
There was some stuff about the movie I would have changed/liked to see differently. All just my opinion and I'm there's some other people who probably have a better opinion/ideas than mine.
I would have liked to see more of Taabe, what we get is good but I would have liked to see the siblings relationship fleshed out a little more. I would have preferred if there was less of the "coming of age" and "I want to hunt because you think I can't" stuff. Swapping those aspects out for more of a sibling rivalry/competition thing would have worked more for me.

A larger confrontation with the French trappers as the main backdrop of the movie would have been a good choice. The trapper's kind of come out of left field and I think it would have benefitted the plot if they were a constant threat that the predator inadvertently helps the tribe get rid of. The bait and switch with the buffalo was rather good.

I think showing the Predator as early as they did wasn't the best choice, alluding to him being there but not actually showing him to build tension would have been cool. I would have liked his reveal be the fight with the bear as opposed to the snake and the dog. The bear fight is perfect, and I wouldn't change a thing.
Everything from the trapper camp to the final confrontation is all solid and I would have changed very little about any of that. It's all shot very well and gives us plenty of new stuff and personality from Feral.

My biggest problem with the movie is the final fight. I would have saved Taabes death until this fight. We don't see a whole lot of him until the trapper encampment so having him work with Naru against Feral for a much longer finale fight would have been nice.
The final confrontation we do get just feels way too short, and it isn't anywhere near as brutal as P1/P2/Predators and I think that choice was made because filmmakers now are afraid to actually show female protagonists take any kind of damage or ugly them up. I think Naru could have benefitted from getting a scar or two while ultimately outsmarting Feral for a win.

Feral's death is...to be honest it is very lame. I don't understand how or why he forgot how his own weapon worked? If the weapons targeting is dependent on the laser, then why would you try and "iron sight" it like a regular weapon? It's a cheap death and I think they could have done a much better job there.

Lastly there's the pistol from P2...I know there's some allusions in the post credits illustration, but I really think this should have been left out. It felt kind of forced and the comic just tells a way better story than the movie.

[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Since the spear weapon's targeting system keeps coming up, every time we see it used we always see the projectile directly forward in its initial thrust of movement, before the targeting system actually kicks in and takes over to redirect. When Feral is firing without his mask on, he's still aiming at his targets even though he isn't actually locking onto them with the mask. Naru planted herself just a bit too far out of range for the projectile to hit her before the targeting system kicked in and redirected it. Had she been a foot closer where Feral was planted in the quicksand, she would have been dead.

Nothing about the way Feral uses the weapon, in the final fight there or in any prior scene, makes him seem incompetent to me, in regards to understanding how his tech works. Naru kept herself out of range, and Feral misjudged his shot/the distance (and hey, we know from the original film that without the mask on, a Predator's vision isn't all that hot).

judge death

judge death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 08, 2022, 05:50:31 PMa Predator's vision isn't all that hot).
They are rather blind without the mask, it seems to me. :P Relay heavily on their tech in some regards.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: GreybackElder on Aug 08, 2022, 05:35:58 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 08, 2022, 04:35:55 PM

As a predator hardcore fan I really enjoyed this film. The cinematography really captured the atmosphere and setting.

I enjoyed Naru and her brother Taabe. I thought they had excellent chemistry together. If you look at my previous posts before Prey was released I voiced my concerns about how Naru might be portrayed in today's woke atmosphere. I can honestly say I didn't feel that this was a woke film in the slightest. Naru's journey was well earned.

I've mentioned ad nazium how different Feral felt in this film but I honestly enjoyed that aspect too. I think without too much fansplaining it helps add individuality among the predators. As I've previously mentioned I believe Feral absolutely knows how to use his weapons as he dispatches numerous parties with ease.  I think head trauma and arrogance get the better of him in the end.

Feral's weapons were interesting and it was fun watching him on screen. My one gripe is that I wasn't crazy about the face redesign. It was just okay for me.

Lastly I loved the score. I thought it was different and unique. I didn't mind that we had no Musical cues of previous films which leads to Prey's individuality. Overall I'd say 7/10.

does it contain - diminish or add to what drew you to the franchise initially?

D-13

D-13

Predator
Predator 2
Prey
Predators (How anyone like this, is beyound me... read a leaked script way before it came out... and I was like... "Wow, that sucked, but sure this will be worked on...", how wrong can one be.

But as when I thought Alien3 coulden't be any worse... Alien4 came and proved Alien3 is in fact a polished-turd.
The same can be said about "Predators", Since the wonderful interpretation in "The predator".
Suddenly Predators seems pretty good, right? No at all as, turdy, as before...

Then we have the awful AVP-movies... I actually think nr.2 is better, mostly becouse I can't stand that smug ass Pual WS Andersson.
Uwe Boll - Plz do AVP 3 now... plz.

Can't seem to edit my typos, but you get most of it I think...

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: skhellter on Aug 08, 2022, 04:10:24 PM(The very positive poll in this very site about Prey vs a lot of the comments... kinda says a lot).

Lots of people obsessed with the idea of what a Alien or Predator film "should be" instead of just good entertainment or even art featuring them.

And in reply to the post directly above, no AlienĀ³ was always good, it mainly got loudly whined about by Americans when it came out and that's not changed whereas everyone I meet in real life actually likes it.

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

Concerning the bolt gun weapon. I previously posted about how the bolts don't start tracking until later in the projectiles trajectory. This is further demonstrated in the movie by the fact that there is a sound queue that starts when the bolts start tracking. This means the weapon can he "hip fired" at close range. When we see the predator fire the bolt gun at close range and barely miss his targets we then hear the bolts seek out the targeting reticle. At no point did the Predator forget how his gun works hes just a bad shot when it comes to hip firing without his bio mask.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed