Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 150,091 times)

Stolen

Stolen

Hicks, what is Covenant's rank in your top Alien (Prometheus included). Please  ;D
;D ;D

Covenant is a winner?

Dowly

Dowly

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 05, 2017, 11:14:32 AM
Reactions sound excellent overall, but the A-list reviewers really hold the aces - let's see what they say over the weekend.
Honestly, I'm more interested to read what Hicks, HuDaFuk and others here that saw it have to say about it.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: windebieste on May 05, 2017, 10:57:29 AM
So what's the big deal about the delay? 

Is it some kind of test he must pass?   Will he get his pay docked?   Will he - or anyone else who's seen it -  be less privileged for having seen an early showing?   Fox calling the shots is one thing - but come on.  Why shouldn't people be permitted to talk freely about it once they've seen it. 

It's complete bullshit.  Fox want's to keep it a secret - but not a secret for very long.  lol.  Just another bullshit embargo.

-Windebieste.

You sign an NDA because they do not want other's to leak the movie before it gets released. There's a reason the reviews are dripping onto the internet now. They serve only one purpose; making sure people are getting exited to go and see the movie. You don't want to have a regular, like me, spoil the entire movie now would you? They invite several people from the press or fan-sites and allow them to see the movie a solid week before it is released. Those persons peak others interest. That's how marketing works. 

A review can make or brake someone's interest to see it. If there's alot of negative press surrounding the movie, people tend to just wait untill it gets released on the intern... i mean, BluRay  :laugh:

My rating so far (and I'll see it again somewhere next week)

Alien
Aliens
Alien : Covenant
Prometheus
Alien 3
Alien : Ressurection.

Bad Replicant

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 11:05:20 AM
It's just how it is, Winde. Embargo's have been a thing forever. There's likely some strategy involved in it.

Apologies if this has been answered -- but did you get to have your sit down with Ridley and cast, Hicks?

The Cruentus

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 11:22:15 AM
You don't want to have a regular, like me, spoil the entire movie now would you?

Entire movie? No, to reassure me (and others) that David did not create Xenomorphs and only replicated what the Engineers already created? Yes, please do!  :laugh:

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Bad Replicant on May 05, 2017, 11:25:22 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2017, 11:05:20 AM
It's just how it is, Winde. Embargo's have been a thing forever. There's likely some strategy involved in it.

Apologies if this has been answered -- but did you get to have your sit down with Ridley and cast, Hicks?

Heh! I wished something like this happened during my screening.

We got informed about the consequences if we "talked" or "made recordings in any way". After everyone was seated, security checked each person before the movie finally started. Didn't get to see/talk Ridley Scott or the cast but the cinema did tell us "... the cast and crew would like to welcome to you this advanced screening of Alien Covenant. They hope you enjoy this movie as much as they enjoyed making it. Enjoy!"

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 05, 2017, 11:14:57 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 05, 2017, 08:37:42 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

That depends, Xeno are depicted as ancient in different sources, even the AVP film which is or was canon showed that Xenos existed in ancient times, thus David cannot be the creator, I really hope he is not but after reading just a fraction of the comments here that seem to indicate disatifaction from the more serious fans, I am worried.

Don't want spoilers but I really want to be reassured that this isn't true much more than I don't want spoilers  :laugh:

My theory is that David just replicated what the Engineers already created rather than outright creating them himself.

As I said, it doesn't contradict anything in Alien. And, speaking personally, I'm not really bothered about any of the films post Aliens timeline (although I acknowledge that some are). Most of the lore is based off EU and our own interpretations. It's open to be reshaped. As I said, I'm not a lover of retconning per se, but more films invariably leads to playing with the form etc.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Studios are risk averse. The last thing they want is someone with a twitter following trouncing their film. Thing is though, most of the tweeters above make a living from the entertainment industry, thrive on access and would never dream of upsetting anyone. Give people a few drinks, show them some cool stuff and feed their need to feel important, and hey-presto: lots of positive tweets, even if the film sucks, because you want to be invited to the next one. Simples.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: windebieste on May 05, 2017, 10:31:40 AM
Here's what I don't get.  They invite you into exclusive preview sessions to help drive their hype engine; and then they shackle you with an NDA to prevent you from talking about.

It's complete bullshit. 

-Windebieste.

Not necessarily. What else they can do to prevent negative reviews (because you never know) and spoilers to be published? It's business and they want to make as much as possible. Besides, embargo stops on Saturday, few days before worldwide premiere.

Dardooder

Dardooder

Can anyone comment on the Xenomorph's movement? Is it similar to Isolation's xenomorph or more animalistic on all fours?

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: SyntaX on May 05, 2017, 11:22:15 AM

My rating so far (and I'll see it again somewhere next week)

Alien
Aliens
Alien : Covenant
Prometheus
Alien 3
Alien : Ressurection.

I'd take that...

harlequinade

While NDAs are standard it is amusing they bothered with this when the 90% of the plot has been on the net for months now

The Cruentus

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 05, 2017, 11:31:51 AM
Hope David It's not Alien Creator,I mean Crazy Robot made Most dangerous alien creature in the universe ?

That very horrible than retcon hicks alive and contradict first movie that Derelict ship on lv-426 was crash long time ago.
Like it or nor (and I'm not a fan of retconning), it doesn't actually contradict anything in Alien. Clearly the initial conceit of the filmmakers was that the SJ was long dead, but anything else is really just an assumption (even if implied), in terms of how long the derelict had been there, whether it was actually fossilised or not etc.

That depends, Xeno are depicted as ancient in different sources, even the AVP film which is or was canon showed that Xenos existed in ancient times, thus David cannot be the creator, I really hope he is not but after reading just a fraction of the comments here that seem to indicate disatifaction from the more serious fans, I am worried.

Don't want spoilers but I really want to be reassured that this isn't true much more than I don't want spoilers  :laugh:

My theory is that David just replicated what the Engineers already created rather than outright creating them himself.

As I said, it doesn't contradict anything in Alien. And, speaking personally, I'm not really bothered about any of the films post Aliens timeline (although I acknowledge that some are). Most of the lore is based off EU and our own interpretations. It's open to be reshaped. As I said, I'm not a lover of retconning per se, but more films invariably leads to playing with the form etc.

Like I said, It depends. If the SJ and the derelict are meant to be ancient then it would be a contradiction, even if it wasn't ancient. The fact that the Derelict was supposed to be around before Prometheus (judging by deleted info regarding the signal that David picked up) then the Derelict and its cargo predated David's experiments in Covenant.  The engineer corpses as the result of the LV-233 outbreak (which happened 2000 years ago I think) looked fresher than the corpse in Alien. Dallas was no scientist, but the body does look fossilized....of course that is almost its own contradiction as I believe only bones are supposed to do that... not metal suits.

Murfy426

Murfy426

Long time lurker here just throwing in my two cents First of all concerning people digging for spoiler info: be patient. Only a week to go for us in the UK and another for the US. We've waited years for this  movie we can wait a week or two, so don't pester the lads who have seen it. I'm guessing Hicks and the others are dying to get their opinions out but legally they can't just yet. As we say in Scotland "gee them peace!"
I'm sure everyone is gonna find things about this movie they like or dislike. Concerning the aliens mythos and origins I think no matter what is released that fox calls 'canon' we all still have our ideas.
I still regard the xenomorphs as an ancient and primordial force from somewhere mysterious and dark in the universe. Somewhere that's better left undiscovered. But like I said this is my two cents and I hope everyone comes away from this movie with at least a smile on their face and a sense of money well spent.

gantarat

gantarat

AvP Rage War novel (canon) claim that alien it's ancient creature.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed