Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 246,016 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I see where you're going with that but I don't believe so, the emergence of a Queen-
why and how has never felt fully satisfactory to me though.

Even though the Praetorian caste system, purebreed and crossbreed from AVPE I accepted;
I always thought the sheer amount of mass needed for the Queen's size was excessive
even for the Alien, unless there's great parts of her structure that are actually hollow?

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 16, 2018, 08:42:38 AM
Alien Isolation I'd say is simply a retcon of the first two films or a design change that isn't canon,
depends what way you look at it.

It's not always arbitrary for what you can't add and can, you just need to trust me on this one-
there's certain things you can do and they'll work and others won't.

The Queen is an exception because she's functionally, in universe and otherwise different from the adult Alien.

The adult Alien's head needs to remain phallic if you want a good Alien design.
Adding mandibles, changing the jaw structure or adding/removing lips doesn't change that.
Dredlocks, horns and protrusions of that nature do- that's why they don't belong.
There's other, better ways to include the idea of horns or dredlocks without just hot-gluing them onto the design.
Why does Isolation have to be a retcon? Why can't the Alien's legs simply differ, for reasons unknown? As for everything else, it really does come down to a matter of opinion. If slapping horns or dreadlocks on a Alien is the visual shorthand a designer chooses to use, I'm really pretty okay with it. I totally get why other people would be turned off by it, but it's not like it's objectively "wrong". The head design in Resurrection (and by extension, AvP) ditches the overtly phallic design from the first 3 movies in favor of something more akin to the shape of a cockroach carapace. Does that mean it's wrong, or bad, or needs to be handwaved as "it's a mutant, TRUE Aliens don't look like that!"? I don't think so - maybe Aliens just look like that sometimes.

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 16, 2018, 12:16:06 PM
Even though the Praetorian caste system, purebreed and crossbreed from AVPE I accepted;

Nothing in AVP:E needs to be accepted because those were just game mechanics, not an actual canon life-cycle/evolution.

The head design in Resurrection (and by extension, AvP) ditches the overtly phallic design from the first 3 movies in favor of something more akin to the shape of a cockroach carapace. Does that mean it's wrong, or bad, or needs to be handwaved as "it's a mutant, TRUE Aliens don't look like that!"? I don't think so - maybe Aliens just look like that sometimes.
Because in Resurrection they are mutants. That is not even a handwave, it is literally what they are. The AVP ones have no in-universe explanation, just the lack of budget meaning old suits had to be reused. The Predalien's dreadlocks are molds of the Runner's tail. They recycled a lot.

The Old One

The Old One

Yep, but there's an inclusion of a Queen Facehugger in A3, which is essentially the same thing as AVPE's Praetorian Facehugger.

The Cruentus

They are not really the same. The royal facehugger could implant two embryos and they were affected by host type, the Preatorian facehugger could only implant one and the resulting Xenomorph was always the same.

Also the canonicity of the Queen facehugger is questionable as it seems the original cut of Alien 3 is canon, not the AC, but a Queen facehugger does feature in Sea of Sorrows which was suppose to be a canon trilogy.

SM

What was the problem with the AvP Aliens?

SiL

They're fleshy when they have no (immediately obvious) reason to be. The aesthetic was justified in AR, in AvP it was budgetary.

Not that it matters, because Aliens don't exist until 100+ years after AvP anyway ;D

The Cruentus

The fleshy appearance I think they were discussing, but if I recall right, it was because the suits had to be reused.
Now AVP-R Aliens...plenty wrong with them.   :laugh:

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2018, 10:18:15 AM
What was the problem with the AvP Aliens?

Overbites?

Corporal Hicks

God-damn overbites. Still same body suit as well, wasn't it? They only redid the heads.

The Cruentus

Neck and hands as well.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Aug 17, 2018, 10:19:46 AM
They're fleshy when they have no (immediately obvious) reason to be. The aesthetic was justified in AR, in AvP it was budgetary.

Not that it matters, because Aliens don't exist until 100+ years after AvP anyway ;D

Ah.  I thought people were talking about the feet.

Samhain13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 17, 2018, 10:28:41 AM
God-damn overbites. Still same body suit as well, wasn't it? They only redid the heads.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 17, 2018, 10:31:59 AM
Neck and hands as well.

You guys mean the AVP ones or AVPR's? For AVP the ones from Alien R. were painted black, chicken legs were removed, I think the hands got smaller as well, on AVPR the heads were replaced with ones with the new ridges, then those big fat necks were added and their color changed a bit.

SiL

The hands were made fatter in AVP.

Samhain13

Quote from: SiL on Aug 17, 2018, 10:48:27 PM
The hands were made fatter in AVP.

Really?

There at the botton we can have a comparison, from the picture the one from Alien R. looks really big.

Maybe they were fatter in AVP but the fingers seens longer on Alien R.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed