DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017)

Started by Ultramorph, Oct 05, 2016, 07:51:53 PM

Author
DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017) (Read 84,123 times)

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 22, 2018, 12:30:34 PM
Ooh is that out? The version with the original pitch material in it?

Not sure what extras there are with this one.

Russ840

It contains some of Stokoe's Original pitch art and story

HuDaFuK

Might go and see if I can get a copy if I can make it before the comic shop closes.

Russ840

If you do, let us know what how much extra is there dude.

HuDaFuK

They didn't have a copy in stock. They've ordered one in for me though :)

Russ840

Damn. That suck man. Well another weeks wait to read it won't hurt and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Corporal Hicks

I'm hoping to go pick up my copy after work so will report back.

HuDaFuK

Could you also let us know (if you don't already) whether it has a covers gallery? The individual covers for this were great, I hope they're in there in some form.

Corporal Hicks

Fear not! There's a cover gallery!

Russ840

How much else is te Hicks?

Corporal Hicks

The pitch artwork and some notes on them.

Russ840

Cool man.

Perfect-Organism

So I ended up buying this.  I find this story to be a mixed bag.  Firstly, it is isolated from the core story so it has no context.  It stands alone entirely.  Some like this, others, not so much.  I am among the latter, but that does not bear much impact on the overall tale.  There were many moments which echoed the major films.  From an Alien popping up out of the floor (as per Hudson's fate), to life-pods frying people (Covenant) upon awaking, to other eye roll inducing cliched moments.  Perhaps what bothered me the most were the often caricatured expressions of the characters.  That always takes me out of the horror of the moment when the characters look like cartoons or caricatures.  The story jumped a lot also, and I often found the characters to be repeating the exact same phrases which was odd.  HGK! anyone?

That aside, the story is interesting.  Perhaps of all of the Aliens comics ever put out, this was the one that felt the closest to Walt Simonson's Alien: The Illustrated Story which is a good thing.  I do like that Dark Horse allowed someone to just run with their own unique take on an Alien story in its entirety.  It is a completely singular vision of the author artist and that is cool.  I will have to give this book more thought.  Perhaps it will grow on me over time.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 23, 2018, 06:51:48 PMFear not! There's a cover gallery!
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 24, 2018, 10:21:08 AMThe pitch artwork and some notes on them.

Nice, thanks.

Xenomrph

I got this in the mail on Tuesday and read through it in one sitting on Wednesday.

On the whole I was kind of underwhelmed. I think the comic spent just a little too much time showing people say "HGK!" over and over rather than actual meaningful content. The art style was a little hit-or-miss for me - the environments were detailed (which I liked) but they were almost a bit *too* "busy", and I didn't care much for the character designs.
It also took me a moment at first to figure out when the story was jumping from the "present" to the "past" - I think something in the corner of the page for each transition saying "NOW" and "THEN" to make it clearer wouldn't have been amiss.

I don't regret reading it at all; the art style was unique and the overall story was neat (and the way each of the Aliens was defeated was clever without being unrealistic), but it's certainly not my favorite Aliens comic of all time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed