Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel'

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Jul 22, 2019, 09:20:09 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel' (Read 156,228 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

RidleyScott99

Maybe Ridley Scott finish in time. He has until December and Ridley Scott had LESS time in All the money in the World.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, Damon said they still had 8 weeks of shooting left. If they start 1 July they can finish filming by end of August. That leaves almost 4 months for post-production. And Ridley wouldn't have been idle all this time either, I think he's already got half the film edited and may have started work on some of the visual effects shots and perhaps the soundtrack already.

Bit of a rush towards the end but do-able, I think.

Ingwar

It's possible but we cannot forget that Duel will be more complex post-production-wise than Money. Fingers crossed but to be honest I don't really care (Ridley and studio would disagree) if they manege before Oscars. I don't mind waiting longer.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I'm with you there, I'd rather they take their time and do a proper job even if it means it gets delayed a couple of months.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on May 30, 2020, 07:31:27 PM
It's possible but we cannot forget that Duel will be more complex post-production-wise than Money. Fingers crossed but to be honest I don't really care (Ridley and studio would disagree) if they manege before Oscars. I don't mind waiting longer.

Looks like Scott & the studio. just got themselves an extra two months breathing room.

Quote from: VarietyBREAKING: #Oscars 2021 pushed back by two months

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1272597379783393280

RidleyScott99

Great news. Ridley Scott deserves Best Director Oscars

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ridley Scott to "virtually" direct the second half of The Last Duel? So will he be sitting at home in LA while he directs another 8 weeks of shooting in Ireland?  ???

Quote from: Indiewire"With a two-month extension, studios will have extra time to finish their movies and postpone release dates without sacrificing their chances at Oscar contention. Ridley Scott, for example, is prepping to virtually direct the last few weeks of shooting in Ireland on 'The Last Duel' starring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, which was interrupted March 13. He has edited one hour of the period adventure after four weeks filming in France, and was trying to finish in time for a December 25 release date."

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/bafta-awards-ceremony-shifts-date-oscars-change-1202237706/

Nightmare Asylum

I just have the image of a very frustrated, pixelated Ridley Scott face on an iPad barking orders and being very upset that he can't get hands-on with the set.

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 20, 2020, 12:04:02 AM
I just have the image of a very frustrated, pixelated Ridley Scott face on an iPad barking orders and being very upset that he can't get hands-on with the set.
Sounds very weird. At least he has people like Dariusz Wolski. They made 6 movies and 2 Shorts together. THE LAST DUEL is their 7 movie together

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 20, 2020, 12:04:02 AM

:laugh:

I can kind of imagine someone going to the restroom during a break and leaving the iPad behind. Then after the crew is ready to start shootin' again, everyone is suddenly looking around in perplexion wondering what happened to the Guv'nor, who's been left fuming on top of a toilet.

But seriously, I've seen him doing directing, sitting behind a bank of large screens quite a lot recently. It will probably be a similar setup to what we see in the video below. Except he'll probably be in LA or London instead of on-set in Ireland. Still... Ridley has always been very hands-on, might be a bit awkward though.  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGgE9EnMdE

Nightmare Asylum

The only upside here is that more than half of the filming is already done, and Ridley's fingerprints are obviously all over what's been currently shot. Plus, like the article said, he even got to spend quarantine editing it all so there's even more reference material showing off what went well form the earlier shooting. The cast and all of the the above-the-line crew should at this point "get" Ridley's intentions on the project and, while this is obviously going to be a huge obstacle, at least they all have a couple months of material working on this project together in person to use as a launch point on how to move forward.

I just feel bad for whichever AD is going to wind up being liaison between Ridley and the set, and I hope that they don't have any other AD duties to worry about at the same time. :D

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 20, 2020, 04:26:14 PM
The only upside here is that more than half of the filming is already done, and Ridley's fingerprints are obviously all over what's been currently shot. Plus, like the article said, he even got to spend quarantine editing it all so there's even more reference material showing off what went well form the earlier shooting. The cast and all of the the above-the-line crew should at this point "get" Ridley's intentions on the project and, while this is obviously going to be a huge obstacle, at least they all have a couple months of material working on this project together in person to use as a launch point on how to move forward.

I just feel bad for whichever AD is going to wind up being liaison between Ridley and the set, and I hope that they don't have any other AD duties to worry about at the same time. :D
Interesting. His son Luke was AD in some of his movies.

Ingwar

Nicole Holofcener about The Last Duel.

QuoteSo, what are you working on, or can you work on anything these days?
I'm writing my own spec script and that's been a while and I hope that one day I'll get to make it. I did just come back from France because I co-wrote a script ["The Last Duel"] with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon for Ridley Scott, but that's got shut down cause of COVID.

Oh, shit, that's right! That project is insane ! Oh man, I remember when that was announced—[laughs]—everyone thought, "Wow, that sounds so problematic, but oh, Nicole Holofcener co-writing? Maybe she can save the men from hanging themselves with this story [laughs]!
Yeah, exactly. Was it announced before I came on? Because it wasn't finished. Ben and Matt, at the time, gave me two-thirds of a script, and said, "here, will you write the last third?" So, that was a really fun job, and completely out of my wheelhouse obviously. But I super enjoyed it, it was really collaborative. I ended up working on their pieces and they worked on my pieces and we had a really good time. I'm a producer on the movie as well, so we went to shoot it in France, but then had to come home.

That's great. I love that the Hollywood boys were smart enough to come to you to rescue them from themselves [laughs].
[Laughs] Ben and I have been kind of mutual fans for a while actually, so we, we already knew each other. And so, he just asked me if I would be interested in co-writing and I was like, "Are you joking? Is this a joke?" And also, is this movie a comedy?" And, of course, it's not, but of course, it's such a good challenge so I said yes. And you know, they're both so handsome [laughs].

https://theplaylist.net/nicole-holofcener-criterion-interview-20200612/3/

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 21, 2020, 08:42:15 AM
Nicole Holofcener about The Last Duel.

QuoteSo, what are you working on, or can you work on anything these days?
I'm writing my own spec script and that's been a while and I hope that one day I'll get to make it. I did just come back from France because I co-wrote a script ["The Last Duel"] with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon for Ridley Scott, but that's got shut down cause of COVID.

Oh, shit, that's right! That project is insane ! Oh man, I remember when that was announced—[laughs]—everyone thought, "Wow, that sounds so problematic, but oh, Nicole Holofcener co-writing? Maybe she can save the men from hanging themselves with this story [laughs]!
Yeah, exactly. Was it announced before I came on? Because it wasn't finished. Ben and Matt, at the time, gave me two-thirds of a script, and said, "here, will you write the last third?" So, that was a really fun job, and completely out of my wheelhouse obviously. But I super enjoyed it, it was really collaborative. I ended up working on their pieces and they worked on my pieces and we had a really good time. I'm a producer on the movie as well, so we went to shoot it in France, but then had to come home.

That's great. I love that the Hollywood boys were smart enough to come to you to rescue them from themselves [laughs].
[Laughs] Ben and I have been kind of mutual fans for a while actually, so we, we already knew each other. And so, he just asked me if I would be interested in co-writing and I was like, "Are you joking? Is this a joke?" And also, is this movie a comedy?" And, of course, it's not, but of course, it's such a good challenge so I said yes. And you know, they're both so handsome [laughs].

https://theplaylist.net/nicole-holofcener-criterion-interview-20200612/3/
The interviewer said: "So problematic". It's sad that Hollywood is 100% PC Culture these days.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed