ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,992 times)

SM

Happy to hear you liked it.  :)

dave1978

Mine arrived Wednesday 18th from Book Depository.

Doctor Ash

Quote from: SM on May 22, 2016, 10:06:43 PM
Thank you. It's really great [emoji4]

Local Trouble

I have it as well.  It's bigger than I expected so it will take me a while to go through it all.  I like what I see so far though.

I'm so used to reading books on a Kindle and comic books on my PC that an actual hardcover book feels strange to me.

Speaking of which, will there be a Kindle edition?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 23, 2016, 10:00:56 PM

I have it as well.  It's bigger than I expected so it will take me a while to go through it all.  I like what I see so far though.

I'm so used to reading books on a Kindle and comic books on my PC that an actual hardcover book feels strange to me.

Speaking of which, will there be a Kindle edition?
I've seen some amazon reviewers mention that they were reviewing an ebook version of some kind.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 23, 2016, 10:00:56 PM

That makes me a little sad. I dread the day that happens to me.

FiorinaFury161

StrangeShape

signing under it too

426Buddy

I don't have much digital content in comics or books, I only go digital when I can't find the real thing.

Local Trouble

I like that this book restored the original size of LV-426.  However, the analysis of its mineral content makes me wonder what makes it worth mining.

SM?

SM

Nothing terribly valuable or they wouldn't be waiting decades to start mining it.  However they get an exclusive monopoly when mining is ready to begin.

Local Trouble

Which brings me back to the question of why they would bother.  Our own solar system has more than enough aluminum and magnesium.  Jesus, at least throw me a bone and tell me it's rich in Helium-3.  I beseech thee.

Either way, that still wouldn't explain the strong gravity for such a small rock which leaves me with the assumption that it has some super dense mineral ore that can't be found elsewhere closer to Earth.

SM

Methane is very helpful in the terraforming process and LV-426 has lots, making it a prime candidate.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Habitable real estate explains the planet's value to the ECA, but not why the company would co-finance it for minerals that could be more easily obtained elsewhere.

Of course, it's possible that the company had the same question that I do: what exotic substance could such a tiny planet contain that would give it such a strong gravitational pull?  Maybe they don't know any better than you or I do and that's why they wanted to secure the mineral rights.

That's the most non-committal explanation I can think of that both addresses the point and evades a definitive answer.

SM

Maybe Hadley isn't a terribly big investment in the grand scheme of things.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed