An ongoing problem I have with the Predators in the comics & novels.

Started by Bishop2, Jan 20, 2008, 08:27:37 PM

Author
An ongoing problem I have with the Predators in the comics & novels. (Read 5,537 times)

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 20, 2008, 11:24:57 PM
Yes, as pointed out the Predators in Prey were on their first hunt and being led by someone who didn't like playing by the rules. Flesh and Blood, that was just an error on the part of the authors.

Could that have been a young Topknot?

He and Broken Tusk were rivals in the original AvP comic (issue #0)

Vader the White

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 21, 2008, 04:21:09 AM
AvP breaks the rules.  Preds kill the drilling team at the top level at razorback station.  They would've killed Sebastian and Lex if the Aliens hadn't come in.

They attempt to kill Quinn BEFORE he's armed when they throw the spear through the door and slice his arm open.

Quote from: Bishop2 on Jan 22, 2008, 11:37:22 PM
The only questionable moment is when they kill the one guy who DID have a gun, but loses it when he slides all the way down the ice tunnel and is lying there probably broken into pieces anyway.
Well, the weird drill like thing the Lex killed an Alien with could be used as a weapon, and I believe some had guns.
On the bottom of the tunnel, how would the Preds know if the gun survived? They didn't want any chances.
Also, in the pyramid, the humans had the plasmacasters. Are they not weapons?

Quote from: Bishop2 on Jan 22, 2008, 11:37:22 PM
Of course Wolf did break the rule in AVP:R in order to keep that deputy quiet.
If I remember correctly, the deputy had a gun.

I have a feeling, if a human is welding a weapon, Preds consider them threats.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The drill team didn't use weapons.  They never went down the tunnel.  Only Weyland's security personnel, the scientist in Adele's team, the scientist in Weyland's team, and Lex went down. 

Sebastian would've been killed had the Alien not shown up.  Quinn was maimed before having a pistol.

Dutch gets the shit beat out of him be a creature that is far tougher than any human.  They aren't a fair species.

The honor thing is bs started by the comics.  Again, it's like a hunter not shooting a pregnant doe, or a fisherman not taking to small a bass.

Corporal Hicks

Can this man get a f**king medal? Here I was thinking I was the only person with this opinion.

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 29, 2008, 12:01:13 AM
The honor thing is BS started by the comics.  Again, it's like a hunter not shooting a pregnant doe, or a fisherman not taking to small a bass.

Depends on what kind of honor code you're trying to attach to the predators

Drawing solely from the movies, the predators are definitely not some type of space-samurai

Therefore comparing their honor system to knightly chivalry or samurai bushido is absurd

To me, predator honor is comparable to the "honor code" of hardened convicts in maximum security prisons...

so in the end really depends on what you mean by "honor"

Kimarhi

Indeed.

I meant the bushidoesque reflection everyone gives the preds.

And to be honest, there might be preds out there that are far more honorable than the ones in the movie.  But I don't think they broke any code in AvP or AvP R (or the books/comics) because they were never nice in the first place.

Given the varying degree of personalities we have on this site alone, a very small percentage of a total world populace, why are people stuck on the fact that a whole interstellar species that could possible span settlements and colonies across star systems all act precisely the same?

They may very well have similar cultures throughout the universe that value hunting.  But I doubt very much that every single one follows the same "religion" or "philosphy" or even follow one at all.

SM

QuoteThe honor thing is bs

Brothers Strause?

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 29, 2008, 04:44:15 AM
they were never nice in the first place.

Predator fans have to remember that when trying to attach an honor system to predator culture, that system has to allow for the fact that predators can be very nasty to their prey, using dirty tricks and superior technology.

That's why I'd call it more like a pseudo-honor, like prison gang honor

SM

It's easier to simply say that have 'rules' they follow during a hunt.  Some of these rules can be misconstrued as 'honour'.

happypred

Hmmm...I don't know, do convicts have a form of honor or simply a set of rules

I guess I'll stick to "alien honor" and you'll stick to "set of rules"

SM

I dunno what convicts have to do with anything.

happypred

The humans moral spectrum can be broken down into white, grey, and black.

Most honor systems fall into the white region i.e. knightly chivalry

But if you have any knowledge about U.S. prison "culture," you'll know that most convicts especially the ones in maximum security prisons follow a prisoners' "code of conduct." A prisoner who sticks to these rules is considered worthy of respect by other prisoners, he's a man, not a punk or a snitch. You could says that the prisoners' code of  conduct falls into the grey region of human morality. It's very brutal and harsh in many areas. Regardless, most convicts view it as a system of honor, loyalty etc.

I think Predator honor is comparable to this sort of "grey" honor.

SM

I've watched Oz - and I'm not buying it.

happypred

I wouldn't use an HBO prison soap opera as my reference point

but then again I never expected you too agree with me  ;)

SM

QuoteI wouldn't use an HBO prison soap opera as my reference point

It'll do since I'm not real keen to find out first hand.

But if you want to prove me wrong - go your hardest.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed