ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,767 times)

Local Trouble

What does Xenomrph usually say about this?

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 19, 2016, 10:52:59 PM
What does Xenomrph usually say about this?

I don't know, this is the first time i am aware of this, i became aware 2 months ago while having a debate with Aliens vs Terminator.  I had help with a mechanical enginner to get an idea how good the railguns are.

They ended up being disappointedly bad, if they fight ships in other fictions, and they dont have the pbc or nukes, harsh language would be a better choice.

Even though one is technically a acpr its so damn light that an apcr with a wood penetrator from an 130 mm naval gun from the soviet union would be a better option.

gold

gold

Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Sep 19, 2016, 10:50:43 PM
I would like to point out theirs a serous flaw in the Colonial Marine Tech book.  In regards to troop transport, the railguns are obsoletly useless.  It has to be a miss print.  Calculating the actual force of impact, it does less than alot of 9mm that exist now, it could never damage a modern battle tank, nor any that existed at the time when the book was made, and going by the ships description of its armor, that its resistant to micrometors, micrometors, by calculations of the f.o.i., will project more energy than the railguns, and if its immune to those, or nearly, none of he diffrent railguns shell types would ever harm a marine ship, unless you shot it through a window, but considering the apc uses armored quartz as its window, i wouldn't count its windows as being week even if they ste a weak point.

Also if you look at the barrel width, the shells should be dramatically heavier, bigger, and cause greater damage on f.o.i. .

The canon is full of things which make no sense militarily.

Like in an era where the standard-issue carbine is firing 10mm explosive-tip caseless rounds out to 2km at 950rpm, for the long range sniper rifle (M42a, labelled M4Ra in the game) to fire a standard 7.62x51mm NATO round looks positively toothless by comparison.

For a battle rifle to be worthwhile in a time and place in which 10mm explosive-tip rounds are standard-issue for carbines, you're either gonna need a GIGANTIC 20mm round for anti-materiel work, or you're gonna need the opposite extreme: something like the 4mm sabot SCAR round. Anything but a (by then) 230 year old 7.62 NATO.

Xenomrph

Quote from: gold on Sep 20, 2016, 04:00:00 AM
Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Sep 19, 2016, 10:50:43 PM
I would like to point out theirs a serous flaw in the Colonial Marine Tech book.  In regards to troop transport, the railguns are obsoletly useless.  It has to be a miss print.  Calculating the actual force of impact, it does less than alot of 9mm that exist now, it could never damage a modern battle tank, nor any that existed at the time when the book was made, and going by the ships description of its armor, that its resistant to micrometors, micrometors, by calculations of the f.o.i., will project more energy than the railguns, and if its immune to those, or nearly, none of he diffrent railguns shell types would ever harm a marine ship, unless you shot it through a window, but considering the apc uses armored quartz as its window, i wouldn't count its windows as being week even if they ste a weak point.

Also if you look at the barrel width, the shells should be dramatically heavier, bigger, and cause greater damage on f.o.i. .

If it makes you feel any better, the author of the book pretty much agrees with you.

HuDaFuK

To be honest, the very idea of strapping an enormous machine gun to man with a giant arm that just serves to hinder their movement and leaves them stood wide out in the open to be picked off by anything that can shoot back is no less ridiculous than anything in the Tech Manual.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 20, 2016, 08:27:12 AM
To be honest, the very idea of strapping an enormous machine gun to man with a giant arm that just serves to hinder their movement and leaves them stood wide out in the open to be picked off by anything that can shoot back is no less ridiculous than anything in the Tech Manual.
Do you mean the Smart Gun?
I think everyone on the planet is willing to give the Smart Gun a pass strictly on the Rule of Cool, just like the motion trackers that are total nonsense, or the pulse rifle having the ammo counter only on the right side of the gun (and somehow housing 99 rounds in those magazines), etc.

And with the Smart Gun, the Tech Manual at least tried to depict ways to fire it from cover or while prone, even while using the armature. :P

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 20, 2016, 08:42:27 AMDo you mean the Smart Gun?

I do. As a military weapon it doesn't stand up to even the smallest amount of logical scrutiny. It'd be fine for pest control (provided those pests don't lack an infra-red signature, like a certain Alien we know... :P), but as soon as you come up against someone who can actually shoot back it would be totally pointless and a death trap for the operator.

Local Trouble

Maybe smart guns (and flamethrowers) are used exclusively for "bug hunts."

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: gold on Sep 20, 2016, 04:00:00 AM

Like in an era where the standard-issue carbine is firing 10mm explosive-tip caseless rounds out to 2km at 950rpm, for the long range sniper rifle (M42a, labelled M4Ra in the game) to fire a standard 7.62x51mm NATO round looks positively toothless by comparison.

For a battle rifle to be worthwhile in a time and place in which 10mm explosive-tip rounds are standard-issue for carbines, you're either gonna need a GIGANTIC 20mm round for anti-materiel work, or you're gonna need the opposite extreme: something like the 4mm sabot SCAR round. Anything but a (by then) 230 year old 7.62 NATO.

Maybe its used for anti-bug operations unless its using the A19 rounds, which it says, "is usually used by USCM Snipers".

If i were a sniper, or could use a anit-material weapon, i would use the Armat Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle.  Its depicted gibbing 2 humans in moded m3 armor with a single beam, 3 normalish xenos with a single beam, the m78 pig, or the M44 sledgehammer.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 20, 2016, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 20, 2016, 08:42:27 AMDo you mean the Smart Gun?

I do. As a military weapon it doesn't stand up to even the smallest amount of logical scrutiny. It'd be fine for pest control (provided those pests don't lack an infra-red signature, like a certain Alien we know... :P), but as soon as you come up against someone who can actually shoot back it would be totally pointless and a death trap for the operator.

I think parts of the series should be about the human interaction with other humans, i think Cameron was on to something with its design, i would like to see someone write stories in which the gun is useful in a smart way.

What are your thoughts on the M57 and M59/B smart guns?  I thought the 57 was awesome, the gun itself isn't gudied anymore, just the projectiles, and it can shoot like that gun from fifth element.  You know that gun Drax had.  Or was his name Zor or Zurg?

The M59 is more similar to the M56 except its sensor is strong enough to see through walls, probably thick walls.

Engineer

So I just watched the new documentary with James Cameron that came with the "aliens 30th anniversary" blu ray, and he made a comment about what he had in mind for the smart gun. The harness was the same type of harness used for filmmakers for steady-cameras; it allows them to hold the camera steady while the camera man runs through the scene. The smart gun was suppose to offer the same type of stability in cameron's mind; it allowed the soldier to run with this big heavy duty machine gun while holding it stable enough to shoot accurately.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The Sulaco's armory carried a number of other types of rifles that were briefly visible in the film.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Aliens#Rifles

Since they weren't used on LV-426, I can only assume that they're intended for use on different types of missions.  As I suggested before, it's possible that they brought weapons specially suited for non-technological xenomorph infestations.

SM

The Smart Gun is simply a future space version of an M-60.

Local Trouble

I can't imagine anyone dropping to the ground in a firefight and using the smart gun like this.

SM

With the harness you don't need to.

Local Trouble

The harness protects its wearer from enemy gunfire?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed