Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 76,657 times)

Corporal Hicks

Also of note (I'm still catching up on about 6 pages, so sorry if has been covered) is this -

QuoteToday, Marvel Entertainment announced three iconic franchises – ALIEN, PREDATOR, and ALIEN VS. PREDATOR – will be launching all-new stories with Marvel Comics starting in 2021! Revealed exclusively by IGN, the new comic series will feature new and classic characters from Earth and beyond to explore never-before-seen corners of both the Alien and Predator universes.

Following the debut of Alien in 1979 and Predator in 1987, the films built a cult following and expanded rapidly to include toys, games, novels, and comic books, eventually leading to 2004's landmark crossover Alien vs. Predator. Marvel's new stories will draw from all of these properties, building on decades of multimedia storytelling. Get a first look at next year's deadly new chapter with spine-chilling cover art by David Finch!

I don't think we're going to be a continuity reboot. They specifically call out building on the old stories and classic characters.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 03, 2020, 09:07:11 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 03, 2020, 08:59:57 AM
They only really had six fingers in Alien.

???

I immediately thought of the still of  Andrews being grabbed from above after posting that but I'm on my phone and didn't have pic to hand.

Kradan

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 03, 2020, 09:07:11 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 03, 2020, 08:59:57 AM
They only really had six fingers in Alien.

???

Oh, I love moments like this  :D

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 03, 2020, 09:15:49 AM
Also of note (I'm still catching up on about 6 pages, so sorry if has been covered) is this -

QuoteToday, Marvel Entertainment announced three iconic franchises – ALIEN, PREDATOR, and ALIEN VS. PREDATOR – will be launching all-new stories with Marvel Comics starting in 2021! Revealed exclusively by IGN, the new comic series will feature new and classic characters from Earth and beyond to explore never-before-seen corners of both the Alien and Predator universes.

Following the debut of Alien in 1979 and Predator in 1987, the films built a cult following and expanded rapidly to include toys, games, novels, and comic books, eventually leading to 2004's landmark crossover Alien vs. Predator. Marvel's new stories will draw from all of these properties, building on decades of multimedia storytelling. Get a first look at next year's deadly new chapter with spine-chilling cover art by David Finch!

I don't think we're going to be a continuity reboot. They specifically call out building on the old stories and classic characters.

We can only hope, Hicks, we can only hope...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 03, 2020, 07:08:12 AM
Who cares about disclaimers so long as they don't censor the material itself for those who want to consume it?

This. Super bored of seeing people up in arms about that disclaimer. When they actually start censoring the material, then I'll be worried, but a warning is no harm to anyone...that said, I wish they'd actually specify on the warning why its there but...

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jul 03, 2020, 09:24:28 AM

I'm hoping to get the new editor on the podcast early to talk about some of people's concerns like this.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 03, 2020, 09:35:31 AM

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jul 03, 2020, 09:24:28 AM

I'm hoping to get the new editor on the podcast early to talk about some of people's concerns like this.

That'd be great! Hopefully they'll assuage some of the fears and trepidation. I for one hope that they'll keep allot of the connective tissue from the DH comics for this new era. Too just leave so much history in the dust would be unsettling.

SM

They did it before. I think the quality has been more consistent in recent years and it'd be a shame to lose it (not only because of the stuff I'm working on at the moment). But it wouldn't surprise me if they started again.

Local Trouble

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jul 03, 2020, 09:44:22 AMI for one hope that they'll keep allot of the connective tissue from the DH comics for this new era. Too just leave so much history in the dust would be unsettling.

The "connective tissue" between DH's stuff was already tenuous enough, or are we really supposed to believe that the original series has any bearing on their more recent output?

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 03, 2020, 09:50:24 AM
Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jul 03, 2020, 09:44:22 AMI for one hope that they'll keep allot of the connective tissue from the DH comics for this new era. Too just leave so much history in the dust would be unsettling.

The "connective tissue" between DH's stuff was already tenuous enough, or are we really supposed to believe that the original series has any bearing on their more recent output?

I was speaking more to what's been done in the last 6-7 years. But, the older stories certainly had bearing on stories like PREDATOR: Hunters. Also characters like Machiko are staples of the DH comics.

I agree with SM, I won't be surprised if MARVEL chucks all that history out the window for a clean slate. Which, I wouldn't personally like, I would totally understand. Considering how that can creatively shackle writers hands.

Janek

PG or PG-13 Alien/Predator comics? Thanks but no thanks.

SiL

The MAX line still exists and features all the gore and profanity you could want.

Corporal Hicks

Just to re-iterate what Marvel still publishes....

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 03, 2020, 06:54:21 AM
Anyone want to see some examples of the stuff Marvel MAX published just last year?

Spoiler

[close]

And...

Spoiler

[close]

That's not even the worst of it, but is anyone still skeptical that they can handle Alien and Predator?

JungleHunter87

Yeah I don't know where this "PG" A/P/AVP MARVEL. Thing is coming from? MARVEL doesn't shy away from graphic violence as has been shown from Wolverine to Punisher. So, I wouldn't worry about that side of things.

SM

Dark Horse hasn't dropped an f-bomb in a very long time other  than the Gibson adaptation to the best if my knowledge. And I don't think there's even been any be shits since Life & Death.

426Buddy

I fully except that my love for DH stems, in part, from nostalgia. And I have no illusions that DH did't put out a good number of stinkers. But never have I or would I want them to lose the license. I'm sure if marvel keeps up the same pace as DH did then they will release some stinkers too anyway.

Do you guys think Marvel will keep with the same 4-6 issue story structure? Or will they release Aliens #1 and just keep it going in one series?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed