Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 198,435 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

You got skills son.

Foundationman2

Foundationman2

Thanks.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

When I type on my PSP it just makes me want to break the psp.  Patience is a virtue.

Foundationman2

Foundationman2

Yeah. It takes forever. :D

gameoverman

gameoverman

This is interesting; from James Cameron in Starlog (1992):

QuoteIn my version of the Alien life cycle, the infestation of the colony would proceed like this:

1. Russ Jorden attacked, they radio for rescue.

2. Rescue party investigates ship...several members facehuggered... brought back to base for treatment.

3. Several "chestbursters" free themselves from hosts, escape into ducting, begin to grow.

4. Extrapolating from entomology (ants, termites, etc.), an immature female, one of the first to emerge from hosts, grows to become a new queen, while males become drones or warriors. Subsequent female larvae remain dormant or are killed by males... or biochemically sense that a queen exists and change into males to limit waste. The Queen locates a nesting spot (the warmth of the atmosphere station heat exchanger level being perfect for egg incubation) and becomes sedentary. She is then tended by the males as her abdomen swells into a distended egg sac. The drones and warriors also secrete a resinous building material to line the structure, creating niches in which they may lie dormant when food supplies and/or hosts for futher reproduction become depleted (i.e. when all the colonists are used up). They are discovered in this condition by the troopers, but quickly emerge when new hosts present themselves.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000311004345/http://www.loop.com/~thrawn/cameron/article4.htm

$cHm0cK

$cHm0cK

@ gameoverman

nice post! So .. if a female alien can swith to male .. then a male can also switch to female ...
haha ... so .. they can molt into queens ...

guys who complain about AvPr now have a big problem  ;D ... now they will complain on Aliens .. looool

Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 29, 2007, 01:21:12 AM
yeah, but is it really a good parallel? Saying the predator's genes are "dominant" and certain alien ones become recessive is really too convenient for the whole idea at that point. Why would predator genes even if dominant over the alien ones, alter the reproduction in such a way as to lay embryos in a hosts mouth, unless predators reproduced orally in some ridiculous way?

And clearly they do not
. The reasons for why a young queen couldn't do that normally are numerous and the reasons to why any alien cannot molt into a queen are numerous as well.
So its a lame cop-out. Shouldn't the script have the reason why this is happening written down, even if its not explained to the audience during the film?
If it was, where is the room to make up any interpretation?

And you know that from .... ?  ::)

greetz

Gates

Gates

Quote from: $cHm0cK on Dec 03, 2007, 09:18:07 PM
@ gameoverman

nice post! So .. if a female alien can swith to male .. then a male can also switch to female ...
haha ... so .. they can molt into queens ...

guys who complain about AvPr now have a big problem  ;D ... now they will complain on Aliens .. looool

What the hell are you talking about? We have known that information for ages, it's nothing new...he's saying that in his mind when writing the script and progressing the story, that's how it went, but guess what...IT WAS NEVER FILMED OR SHOWN WITHIN THE FILM, and Jimbo's theory was subsequently put to rest in Alien3 when it was shown ON SCREEN that they are BORN Queens...

Thanks for coming...try again next time... ;)

SiL

SiL

Yeah, people complained about that, too. You guys are 21 years too late to be saying 'Well no-one complains about Aliens'.

Queen moulting can work. There, I said it. But the Bros didn't put enough thought into it.

Look at it like this. Sure, a drone can stick a host to a wall and turn it into an egg ... but what if there are no hosts? What if the only thing around is the one it came out of, and what if it has to eat it? Then it's screwed. But wait, it can turn into a Queen, poop out eggs, and die of old age waiting for something to come along and get hugged.

Except in AvP Requiem, there are hosts. Lots of them, in fact.

In terrestrial zoology there are organisms with three reproductive methods, except they all respond to different stimuli. If A, go to method 1; if B, go to method 2, etc. Here, we have two methods - Moulting and morphing - which respond to exactly the same stimulus - No Queen - in exactly the same circumstances - the presence of hosts. And there's your problem.

Master

Master

Another good point from Sil. I would be much easier and better for bros to actualy change a Scarburster a litle bit, to make ti look like queen burster. But no..........

Aeus

Aeus

To be fair, we've never seen what a Predalien Queen burster looks like...

SiL

SiL

Shouldn't make that much of a difference. And Colin said it was a drone anyway.

$cHm0cK

$cHm0cK

Quote from: Gates on Dec 03, 2007, 09:36:57 PM
What the hell are you talking about? We have known that information for ages, it's nothing new...he's saying that in his mind when writing the script and progressing the story, that's how it went, but guess what...IT WAS NEVER FILMED OR SHOWN WITHIN THE FILM, and Jimbo's theory was subsequently put to rest in Alien3 when it was shown ON SCREEN that they are BORN Queens...

Thanks for coming...try again next time... ;)

I didnt know it .. any Problem ? Yeah .. born queens .. females .. like cameron described it.  ::)
Like i said ...

so thanks for your try ... but dont come again plz ..  ;) ..

greetz

Master

Master

Quote from: Aeus on Dec 03, 2007, 09:44:10 PM
To be fair, we've never seen what a Predalien Queen burster looks like...
Queenburster with mandibles for example :D (Going to sleep)

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: SiL on Dec 03, 2007, 09:47:35 PM
Shouldn't make that much of a difference. And Colin said it was a drone anyway.

Well seeing as he said the Regurgitation was open to interpretation, I'm going to interpret this how I want.  :D

SiL

SiL

Too true.

I still prefer my hermaphroditic freak of nature idea. Explains the whole thing as a f**k up and leaves it at that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed