(FAUX) 'ALIEN Isolation' Bubblegum Cards.

Started by windebieste, Mar 30, 2016, 05:09:41 AM

Author
(FAUX) 'ALIEN Isolation' Bubblegum Cards. (Read 23,170 times)

windebieste

On one of the other threads, our discussion briefly touched on how 'ALIEN Isolation' is deserving of its own trading card series.  So, I got to thinking, "Why not make my own set of 'ALIEN Isolation' cards?"  It would be a fun Fan Art Project I can do with relative ease.  It won't take me too much time to sift through and select enough screenshots from a folder full of images on my hard drive, whack a border around 'em and post 'em online.  Hey Presto, Instant Card Set!

So I thought about it some more and this past Easter I spent most of Saturday and much of Sunday making a set of 100 faux 'ALIEN Isolation' cards.  It was pretty easy, actually.  These cards all depict characters, situations and environments from the game and are intended solely for fun.  Of course, I'm also more than willing to share them with the Community - but I don't want to just spam the forum with 100 cards all at once!  That would be kind of cruel.   lol...

Instead, I thought it might be fun to released them in small groups, say, 6 per poost.  I got to thinking a little more and realised I could turn the experience into a card collection simulation for you all to enjoy.  Here's how I intend to go about this experimental exercise.  By means of a lottery (By drawing numbers out of a plastic tub.), I intend to select 6 cards at random from the pool of 100.  This process is intended to simulate the opening of a packet which is how cards are normally distributed; and 6 appears to be an ideal number.   I'll wait a while, maybe a day or 2, or maybe wait for a number of reply posts to be made and then once again via the means of the lottery, repeat the action and select another 6 random cards from the pool post them on the thread as well.  The wait time will be completely arbitrary and up to myself.

Now, here's the catch.  The 6 previously drawn lottery cards are returned to the pool prior to each new draw so the pool constantly contains all 100 cards.  This means the first draw will be unique.  Most likely, the second draw will be unique, too. ...maybe even the 3rd and 4rth draws may possibly be so.  However, at some point in time, duplicates will start to appear as the lotteries progress. Eventually, at about the half way mark where around 50% the contents of the pool has already been drawn, the number of duplicates will commence to outnumber the original items in the draw on a regular basis.  Anyone who has actually collected bubblegum or trading cards will be familiar with this.

Ultimately, and theoretically, each progressive draw from that point will contain mostly duplicate items and I realise that that could be a problem. I know it's going to be frustrating to watch an excessive number of duplicates being drawn once unique items become outnumbered, rare and are no longer being called from the pool. Certainly, the final 10% of unique cards will be hard to draw without an over abundance of duplicate items appearing.

So here is my solution to this problem.  Once the lottery reaches this point, the lottery will cease and no more cards will be drawn.  Instead, I'll be zipping up all the contents of the entire card set into multiple batches of 6 random cards per archive (Let's call it a 'pack'.) and then distributing all those 6 card 'packs' amongst all of the Posters participating in this thread at the rate of 1 'pack' per Poster (1 only per Poster.  Multiple posts by posters won't receive multiple packs.). All and any previously undrawn cards will be included in those 'packs'.  This way, everyone will receive a different 'pack' of 6 cards and the entire set of 100 will be distributed amongst Posters.  You can then do what you like with the cards which you receive.  You can post the missing ones here and share 'em with your fellow forum buddies or recipients may keep them to themselves and the online set here may remain incomplete.  I won't be tracking the Poster 'packs or who receives them or what the 'packs' contents will be. 

I don't mind either way as that's the nature of card collecting and I'm sure that while we all love to see our sets of cards be completed; an incomplete set is just as valid as an experience.  We all have series of incomplete items in our collections, too; and I'll be leaving the potential for this card collecting simulation to be 100% complete or not up to you as to whether those last holes get filled or not by posters who may be in possession of those missing cards.  Simulating the challenge of completing the set is one of the goals I am attempting to embrace here.

Either way, the cards required to complete the online set will eventually be in your hands.  The more people who reply to the thread, the greater chance that the set has of becoming completed via the virtue of wider distribution.  This process may take days... Weeks... Months... whatever.  There's no time limit and no rush.

No draws will be discarded nor will any cards be returned to the pool in favor of other items - I'd be just cheating myself and corrupting the experiment if I did so.  All draws will be random. Any combination may be the result.

= = = = =

Just a few notes about the cards themselves appearing as part of this experiment.  Basically, it's just stuff that occurred to me while making them.  Some of it's important - some of it's just background info.

- Most of the screenshot images appearing on these cards were taken by myself but there's also a bunch of unidentified downloaded images amongst them as well.  If you identify any of these cards and know who the Author of the image is, please let me know and I will retro-credit them as appropriate in the post in which they appear.

- In keeping with 'ALIEN Isolation's retro theme, the card border design were inspired by those present on old 1977 'Star Wars' and 1979 'ALIEN' bubblegum cards. 

- The order of the cards is loosely based the narrative order of the video game. There are some continuity descrepancies and this is a deliberate homage to old movie bubblegum cards in the past that have depicted scenes out of sequence.  It does happen.

- Captions present on each of the cards are largely written in the tradition of late 1970's and 1980's bubblegum cards. They are corny, cheesy and some puns are present.

- To lend a more cinematic presentation to the cards, I used Cheat Engine to free-roam the camera in various locations.  HUD and first person perspective elements were avoided as much as possible.  An attempt was made to make the cards look like old movie stills of yore.

- I haven't made the backs of any of these cards.  This would have been time prohibitive to me and I have enough on my plate as it is.  I'll let someone else make those if they are so inclined.  Don't forget to make 'em cheesy!  ;)

- Other bubblegum cards based on movies would frequently contain images other than those taken directly from the film they are based on.  Concept designs and behind the scenes images are commonplace.  I could have done something similar with this set but decided to solely restrict the images appearing in the set to actual screenshots from the game.  This decision was largely dictated by the sheer additional amount of work this activity would have required.

- If you want to make your own 'ALIEN Isolation' cards please do so. Remember, the number sequence from 1 to 100 already exists!  I won't be making a 2nd Series so you are welcome to make cards numbering 101 and upwards.  Hell, go make 'AvP 2010' cards or cards for 'A:CM'; or some other ALIEN/Predator themed game.   I'd love to see your work!

- In the event that this exercise infringes on copyright, then there is no recourse for me other than concede and agree to their removal.  I understand that Fox, SEGA, Creative Assembly and their respective companies reserve the right to have these cards removed without notice.  I completely understand and acknowledge their right to do so.  Mind you, I make nothing from this experimental exercise other than spread the Joy!  This exercise is just for fun, for the fans on this site.  If these companies feel this exercise poses an issue in any way and the cards need to be removed, then I will do so upon request without hesitation, argument or debate or warning.  On the other hand, a brief message to those companies, please consider making an official set available.  We'd love it!  Just watch and see. ;)

To get this process started then, here's the first draw of 6 cards from the pool.

Numbers drawn: 35, 43, 48, 68, 81, 89.

Duplicate No.s: NA

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:  Of course, there's no duplicates in the first draw.  We get Dr. Kuhlman's abduction straight off the bat.  A great selection of characters, events and environments here and this draw is very representative of what the full set of 100 cards consists of. 

I'll post the next batch of 6 cards sometime soon.   ;)

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

I absolutely love the idea. I think it's a great exercise of creativity and I'm glad you're doing it!

I love the first card out the pack too -

Almost looks like the Alien is floating in from space.

windebieste

Thanks; and yes.  It's a cool pic.  There's a ton more to come. 

I think the black background visible through the door is unintentional and is a rendering error on part of the game's engine.  Later in the game, you actually do have access to this room and can walk through that same door.  When you do so, there is obviously a room on the other side without any such problems.

I think it's part of the engine's visibility set not working properly.  Using Cheat Engine to divorce the camera from the Player's position and use the camera  to 'fly' around the level easily reveals how small any rendered location for the game actually is.  It's very tightly divided into sectors and anything that you can't normally see beyond your immediate location simply isn't rendered until you approach it, cross a threshold to that location (or a door opens) and then that location is rendered. 

For some reason, the opening of the door in this scene doesn't trigger the room beyond to be rendered when the door is opened.

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Not gonna lie, your explanation of how these will be drawn totally lost me, but I'll be keeping an eye on this regardless :P

Great stuff!

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 30, 2016, 09:32:30 AMI think the black background visible through the door is unintentional and is a rendering error on part of the game's engine.  Later in the game, you actually do have access to this room and can walk through that same door.  When you do so, there is obviously a room on the other side without any such problems.

I think it's part of the engine's visibility set not working properly.  Using Cheat Engine to divorce the camera from the Player's position and use the camera  to 'fly' around the level easily reveals how small any rendered location for the game actually is.  It's very tightly divided into sectors and anything that you can't normally see beyond your immediate location simply isn't rendered until you approach it, cross a threshold to that location (or a door opens) and then that location is rendered. 

For some reason, the opening of the door in this scene doesn't trigger the room beyond to be rendered when the door is opened.

Is it not more likely to be deliberate, so that you don't see the Alien until it lunges out of the darkness? That's what I'd always assumed.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 30, 2016, 02:50:54 PM
Not gonna lie, your explanation of how these will be drawn totally lost me, but I'll be keeping an eye on this regardless :P

To put it plainly, random - like an actual pack of cards.

windebieste

windebieste

Great stuff!

This is a lottery so it involves the random drawing of numbers 'out of a hat'.  In this case, the hat is a plastic tub filled with 100 tickets.  Each ticket represents a card in the set of 100.

Each draw is made from the plastic tub:

Of course, I could use software to do this, but where's the fun in that?

Is it not more likely to be deliberate, so that you don't see the Alien until it lunges out of the darkness? That's what I'd always assumed.

That's another good point - and not to be discounted.   They could have had the same effect by having the Alien emerge from the darkness if the lights in the next room were turned off.  It would also have served some great continuity if the room went dark as Dr. Kuhlman exited it.  Repeated viewings of the scene make it obvious the Alien is emerging from a black pane.  Capturing it in an image like this reveals how jarring the lack of transition actually is.

On the other hand, it's a great example of misdirection.  The first time you witness this event, the Alien emerging out of the darkness is what you notice and not the black pane that it appears out of.  A lot of game design is all smoke and mirrors.  This scene is a fine example of that. 

I'll post the next Draw later today.  After I fully wake up.  ...whenever that is. lol.

-Windebieste.

OK, Draw 2 coming up.  Let's see wot we get with this round.  First, gotta give the little box a good shake and tumble the contents.

Now, open the box and select 6 tickets.  This wot we got:

Draw No. 2

Numbers drawn: 26, 52, 82, 22, 31, 28.

Duplicate No.s: NA

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

That's 12 cards now and it looks like Amanda and the Alien are well represented in this selection.  As is Marshal Waits and Taylor.  Creepy ol' Joe gets an appearance, too.  A welcome character based selection.  No duplicates in this Round.  Not yet. 

I also noticed a lot of Portrait oriented cards appeared in this Draw; 5 of them.  There's only 1 card in Landscape orientation.  This is of interest simply because the Portrait oriented cards are in the minority.

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 30, 2016, 09:18:25 PMThis is a lottery so it involves the random drawing of numbers 'out of a hat'.

I got that, it was the bit about what you're going to do when picking 6 at random stops being practical that sailed over my head :)

Corporal Hicks

I really do love the randomized, card pack like nature you're taking for this. It's fun. No duplicates just yet!

426Buddy

Love the cards, such a great game.

Corporal Hicks

Do you have any particular favourites, Winde?

windebieste

There's a few in the set that I really look forward to being drawn.  There's a few favourites.  So, yes. 

Anyway, time for another draw.  Let's see wot happens.

Draw No. 3

Numbers drawn: 43, 56, 35, 68, 19, 70

Duplicate No.s(Frequency):  43(1), 35(1), 68(1)

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

Well, we knew that duplicate items were going to appear sooner or later.  What was unexpected, though, was for 3 of them to occur at such an early stage.   All of them duplicating items already drawn from the first round.  This is a legitimate result, such is the way lotteries work. Anyone who's collected packeted cards will testify to how unexpectedly random these results can be. 

At this point, 15% of the pool has been drawn so any number of duplicates may be expected to appear from now on.

Aside from the already drawn 3 cards, in this Draw we get to see Ricardo and Hughes also make their first appearances.     Another appearance by Marshal Waits also graces this Draw. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

I wasn't expecting duplicates this soon but like you said, such is the nature of trading cards.

windebieste

There's really no telling what will come out of the box.  Just like my unscheduled posting this stuff on this thread - it's completely random.  Anyway, have some more cards: 

Draw No. 4

Numbers drawn: 64, 81, 85, 53, 91, 19.

Duplicate No.s(Frequency):  81(1), 19(1)

Corresponding Cards:

Notes for this Draw:

Cards 81 and 19 are duplicate items.  Hughes gets another chance to impress is point of view on that android. Hope that worked out for you better this time, Hughes.    Other than that, it's an interesting selection of images.  Of all the Draws to date, I like this one the most as there is so much happening across all 6 cards. The Alien is represented in 2 of its stages, there's a shot of some eggs, the power overload (while also being a duplicate item) is a great image for its composition alone and energy. There's also a pic of the space jockey present in the batch... and some flame as well.  Such a great range of elements making up this Draw, including 2 of Giger's designs along with the energetic drama that lightening and fire can provide.

'RICARDO'S LUCK RUNS OUT.' is definitely one of my favourite cards. 

'FACE OF THE SPACE JOCKEY' is an homage card to the original 1979 Topps 'ALIEN' bubblegum card series.

As for the the image  in 'THE CREATURE..?  WHAT IS IT?' card, the Alien is striking a terrific pose and is well lit against a dark background, making it pop out of the image very dramatically.  It's a great composition and this is definitely one of my favourite cards.  I don't know from whence I downloaded this image; but I would love to credit the Author if someone knows their identity.

-Windebieste.

Le Celticant

Hello,

"touching the egg" oh my... LOL!
I love it! Keep posting more and more and more!

Cya

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed