DIY-ish NECA Marines

Started by Trypticon88, Jan 17, 2024, 09:33:05 PM

Author
DIY-ish NECA Marines (Read 804 times)

Trypticon88

Trypticon88

Hi all!

So I recently started collecting the NECA Aliens figures, and ATM I'm at 4 (two more inc) marines.
My question is this: If I want to customize my marines, which other companies have figures that have parts that are "compatible" with the NECA Aliens line? Do for instance all NECA figures use the same head peg system? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a silly question.

-Tryp

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I can't think of any figures that have compatible parts with NECA stuff, to be honest, but I'm also not much of a customizer.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

What scale is NECA? 8" ?

Trypticon88

Trypticon88

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 19, 2024, 09:10:56 AMWhat scale is NECA? 8" ?

I think the figures are 7".

Wweyland

Wweyland

McFarlane Toys made at least one Colonial Marine, and their stuff might be semi-compatible.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

There's a lot of custom cast and 3D printed stuff for Colonial Marine NECA figures. I don't have any helpful links on hand but IIRC there's Facebook groups that are thriving.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Ooooo now this is my field! Yes Neca are officially 7 inch scale. But! The colonial marines are a tad on the smaller side as with all of the older Neca figures. The newer Neca figures (like from Back to the Future) are a bit larger. Scale creep, it's inevitable. McFarlane is also 7 inch. They're on the bigger side of the scale, similar to the newer Neca stuff. But they all still fit well with each other! The older and the newer Neca stuff plus the McFarlane figures. Also, Diamond Select has a lot of good stuff in scale with the figures. ZD toys Warmachine also works as a battle synth. A bit on the smaller side of 7 inch scale. The latest movie Warmonger (Ironman) from Marvel Legends also is a good base for the Berserker suit. Some of the largest and bulkiest G. I. Joe figures can work as well, like Gung Ho and Roadblock, they can pass for shorter muscular dudes with the marines.

Wrestling figures! Their heads are good for new the new faces your marines will be carrying. There are two main lines (2 different companies) that make them, but their scaling is all over the place. The best you can do is buy a bunch of them in a bundle and more than half will be the right scale. The bigger ones I use on Michael Myres and Jason Voorhees bodies as the marine maintenance engineers.

Bad news though, not all of the heads in the Neca line itself use the same peg... You're gonna have to drill to get these heads on the same peg.   

Trypticon88

Trypticon88

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 20, 2024, 01:36:59 AMOoooo now this is my field! Yes Neca are officially 7 inch scale. But! The colonial marines are a tad on the smaller side as with all of the older Neca figures. The newer Neca figures (like from Back to the Future) are a bit larger. Scale creep, it's inevitable. McFarlane is also 7 inch. They're on the bigger side of the scale, similar to the newer Neca stuff. But they all still fit well with each other! The older and the newer Neca stuff plus the McFarlane figures. Also, Diamond Select has a lot of good stuff in scale with the figures. ZD toys Warmachine also works as a battle synth. A bit on the smaller side of 7 inch scale. The latest movie Warmonger (Ironman) from Marvel Legends also is a good base for the Berserker suit. Some of the largest and bulkiest G. I. Joe figures can work as well, like Gung Ho and Roadblock, they can pass for shorter muscular dudes with the marines.

Wrestling figures! Their heads are good for new the new faces your marines will be carrying. There are two main lines (2 different companies) that make them, but their scaling is all over the place. The best you can do is buy a bunch of them in a bundle and more than half will be the right scale. The bigger ones I use on Michael Myres and Jason Voorhees bodies as the marine maintenance engineers.

Bad news though, not all of the heads in the Neca line itself use the same peg... You're gonna have to drill to get these heads on the same peg. 

Oooh thanks, thats very helpful! I'm hunting for good figures to use as custom marines atm, and I recently got my hands on Neca marine armor and helmet to use for one! I now need a figure and a good head to use  ::)

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

My advice, always look at youtube reviews of figures to see how the figures look. On camera they look quite a bit different than in pictures. And I always recommend multiple reviews. Just to see in camera how it looks under different lighting conditions.

Wweyland

Wweyland

There is a pretty big Pulse Rifle size difference as well:
NECA above, McFarlane below
https://i.imgur.com/h6ZPAgl.jpeg

Trypticon88

Trypticon88

I see. I'm generally just in need of heads atm, though ^^

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

You can check out WWE/AEW/RAW wrestling figures for really good heads for marines.
I use them a lot.

Trypticon88

Trypticon88

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jan 22, 2024, 02:14:15 AMYou can check out WWE/AEW/RAW wrestling figures for really good heads for marines.
I use them a lot.

Which manufacturer?

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: Trypticon88 on Jan 22, 2024, 07:34:15 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jan 22, 2024, 02:14:15 AMYou can check out WWE/AEW/RAW wrestling figures for really good heads for marines.
I use them a lot.

Which manufacturer?
Jakks or Mattel

Trypticon88

Trypticon88

Thanks!  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed