Lego Alien, or Lego Predator?

Started by thomasmariel33, Oct 31, 2023, 11:48:26 PM

Author
Lego Alien, or Lego Predator? (Read 3,134 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Nov 03, 2023, 03:18:33 AMThat didn't stop Kenner running a popular line of toys.

Were they that popular?  I remember buying a bunch of them in a bin at Toy R Us heavily discounted.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 03, 2023, 09:46:38 AMI remember buying a bunch of them in a bin at Toy R Us heavily discounted.
Why you gotta tease me like that.

The point was more that a kids toy line was run (and then repeated for Alien Resurrection).

I'd mention the '79 toy but that was scrapped for exactly what you're mentioning.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Hell yeah they should, but probably won't. We still have custom sets though.

Local Trouble

The Kenner toyline was popular? :o

Nightmare Asylum

Everyone knows the Wild Boar Alien.

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Nov 03, 2023, 09:55:58 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 03, 2023, 09:46:38 AMI remember buying a bunch of them in a bin at Toy R Us heavily discounted.

The point was more that a kids toy line was run (and then repeated for Alien Resurrection).

I'd mention the '79 toy but that was scrapped for exactly what you're mentioning.

My point was that yes they were run - but were they popular.  I bought heavily discounted Resurrection stuff too. And not trying to be facetious - I'm genuinely curious if those toys actually sold well. 

SiL

SiL

We could try to summon @windebieste for an answer.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Is Jurassic Park the most violent series to get official Legos?

Dachande

Dachande

Stranger Things got a set, and I know by uk classification both it and Alien are classed as 15s

SM

SM

There's some gruesome stuff in the Indy flicks, though it's usually fleeting.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Are we talking violent or just gory?  Because I'd think Marvel, DC, Star Wars and LOTR have a significant edge on the former.

https://twitter.com/StarWarsPhtshp/status/1110553754745663490

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: SM on Nov 04, 2023, 09:27:34 PMThere's some gruesome stuff in the Indy flicks, though it's usually fleeting.
I think you mean nazis? But yeah, Lego did make Nazis in that regard.

SiL

SiL

The faces melting off and the beating hearts removed from bodies.

SM

SM

Yes that.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Nov 03, 2023, 09:19:50 PM
Quote from: SiL on Nov 03, 2023, 09:55:58 AM

My point was that yes they were run - but were they popular.  I bought heavily discounted Resurrection stuff too. And not trying to be facetious - I'm genuinely curious if those toys actually sold well. 
To my recollection they sold quite well when they first launched, and even into the second wave and some of the AvP stuff. They were a big hit in my circle of friends at the time (I was 9, and the toys were genuinely what got me interested in the franchise after my friends talked them up and let me play with theirs). There was this mystique to them that these weird and interesting looking creatures (with fun action features!) from an "adult" movie that your parents may or may not let you see, so initially your only knowledge of them is what you pieced together from your imagination or the little mini-comics that came with them. Visually they weren't like anything else on the shelves at the time. I've heard similar stories from other collectors on toy forums and discord groups.

The interest died down as the Kenner line played out and we got more repaints and the goofy Hive Wars line, and eventually that later stuff ended up in K B Toys discount bins across the country.

I remember the Resurrection line being much less popular - aside from the line being really small (4 Aliens and 2 humans), it was as if it didn't know what its target audience was meant to be; there were no action features like the older Kenner stuff which made them a harder sell for younger kids, they were not particularly posable or articulated which made them less appealing to older collectors, and they were directly tied to a movie that wasn't particularly well-received by audiences at the time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed