Hasbro/Kenner's Alien and Predator toy Thread

Started by TITANOSAUR, Jul 27, 2013, 04:14:37 AM

Author
Hasbro/Kenner's Alien and Predator toy Thread (Read 7,758 times)

TITANOSAUR

Has anybody noticed Kenner was the most creative with their aliens and predator toy lines? i mean, you had the bull alien, Mantis Alien, Gorrilla Alien, then you had the spike tail predators, broken tusk just to name a few, these guys were awesome, and lets not forget the marine toys as well. through the 90s alot of movies had toy lines, although no company would take rated R films, but Kenner was brave enough to take that liscence and thus they gave us what we couldn't get at the time at a cheep and respectible price. anyways, if you have bought any of their toys or have fond memories of having these toys when they first came out, please share your story here. if you found the figures for sale on Amazon or Ebay or found a special also post it here.

Hudson

A lot of them are on Amazon anywhere from $7 in package up to around $50.

I really wish I could've had these as a kid, but the only ones I was able to collect were the shitty Hive Wars series, which I still have. They were the ones at KB Toys (right store?) consistently.

JokersWarPig

I remember having Hicks and Drake, they where my favorite toys for a while. I also remember having the gorilla and bull alien as well but that's all I can recall. My dad swears I had most of the entire series, and he would know since he was the "toy buyer" of my parents

TITANOSAUR

I remember only having the bull alien that I got at a yardsale, he was the only Alien figure I had at the time which enraged me more when he was thrown away. has anyone got pics they can post.

anyone ever get the Alien versus Predator twopack Kenner released?

Xenomrph

I have all of them (and I do mean all of them). My Scorpion Alien is chilling on my computer desk right this second, he's still my favorite (partly because it's the closest we got to an 'Aliens' Alien, and partly because HE EXPLODES, HOLY SHIT).

The first Alien I ever got was the Snake Alien. I was 9. I specifically asked my parents for that one because my mother was afraid of snakes. Like no joke, that was the reason.

The first Predator I got was Spike Tail Predator. I'm not even sure why, I just thought he looked the coolest at the time. If I had to pick an absolute favorite Kenner Pred, though, it'd likely be the Stalker Predator because he glowed in the dark. I'm REALLY hoping NECA remakes him.

Hudson

Scratch that. I found the Stalker Predator at a garage sale along with another one with shorter hair and a writstblade thing on his right hand. Don't know what he was called. Neither had any accessories.

StayFrosty

This line was awesome as a kid, but it's really lacking today. I got rid of all mine long ago, then a few years ago I decided to buy most of them again. But then I realized they aren't that good so I sold them again.

The only thing I really like about this line today is the cards that were on the back of the packages in the first series. The Aliens looked really cool on those cards. I think some of the shots were from Alien3. Also on the cards for Ripley, Hicks, Bishop, Drake, and Apone they showed real people posing as the characters. Some of them looked cool, but much different from the movie.

Any idea what was with those cards on the back of the packages? Who were those actors that got their pictures taken? I get the feeling more was going on there. I know there was going to be an Operation:Aliens CARTOON that eventually got cancelled, but what about these real-life photos?

bobcunk

bobcunk

I also miss the desirability older toys just seemed to be better quality (in material not design) then today. I have  toys that are over 20 years old and you could through them against a wall and they'd be fine except for some paint chipping. Today they usually already have stress marks on the joints right out of the box(most notable with transformers). so from a detail and technical point there have never been better toys than now but actual quality seemed to go downhill after the 1990s. 

Quote from: StayFrosty on Jul 27, 2013, 09:03:59 PM
This line was awesome as a kid, but it's really lacking today. I got rid of all mine long ago, then a few years ago I decided to buy most of them again. But then I realized they aren't that good so I sold them again.

The only thing I really like about this line today is the cards that were on the back of the packages in the first series. The Aliens looked really cool on those cards. I think some of the shots were from Alien3. Also on the cards for Ripley, Hicks, Bishop, Drake, and Apone they showed real people posing as the characters. Some of them looked cool, but much different from the movie.

Any idea what was with those cards on the back of the packages? Who were those actors that got their pictures taken? I get the feeling more was going on there. I know there was going to be an Operation:Aliens CARTOON that eventually got cancelled, but what about these real-life photos?

Its all about recapturing your childhood. I just bought the grey spike tail predator the other day, Its nothing special compared to any other toy line. its the nostalgic feeling I get when I open one for the first time. Some may say its a sin to open a colectors item, but i say I'm liberating them from there plastic prison.

Hudson

I've always wanted to know what the designers of these things were smoking. Most of the Predators look absolutely ridiculous and a lot of the Aliens are strange, not to mention the human characters. Apone is completely off the wall.

Not that I dislike it. It's actually pretty entertaining and they would have been a lot of fun as a kid.

spinksy

I have every kenner predator figure boxed - including the rare Hive wars predators.

They're safely in my loft boxed away - will have to get them down and take some pics again.

TITANOSAUR

Quote from: spinksy on Jul 29, 2013, 01:40:27 PM
I have every kenner predator figure boxed - including the rare Hive wars predators.

They're safely in my loft boxed away - will have to get them down and take some pics again.

Please do Spinksy! we'd love to see thoughs pics!

I have plans to get the intire Aliens toy series. I'll have an entire shelf dedicated to them. did anyone ever get the vehicles?

Xenomrph

I've got the vehicles, yeah. As a kid they were pretty kickass, all kinds of firing missiles and gimmicks and stuff.

Quote from: Hudson on Jul 29, 2013, 04:39:55 AM
I've always wanted to know what the designers of these things were smoking. Most of the Predators look absolutely ridiculous and a lot of the Aliens are strange, not to mention the human characters. Apone is completely off the wall.

Not that I dislike it. It's actually pretty entertaining and they would have been a lot of fun as a kid.
Fun fact: Dave Dorman, better known as the artist for 'Aliens: Tribes' (and a ton of other stuff) designed the Alien Resurrection movie tie-in toys.

Hudson

I have the "Aqua Alien" somewhere. Really strange...

TITANOSAUR

Ah yes the Alien Ressurection figures. I think I still got the box. I got the Alien Warrior Drone, its... uhm.... its big but uh..... yeah not too thrilled with the overall look. would make a cool Praetorian custom though. Has anyone ever got the Ultimate Predator figure?

Xenomrph

I've got it, it's pretty kickass.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed