Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 97,991 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Exactly. Another stupid thing in that stupid ending. I have to wonder if it was a reused prop.

goose_3387

goose_3387

I enjoyed the movie but I've had no desire to see it a second time. I feel it will be a better rewatch on blu ray.

4 years of messing around from the Studio and it just feels like it's all fallen flat.

Speaking from my own point of view, usually there's a buzz around the Hot Toys figures but no-one seems arsed about them anymore. And considering that Assassin is the lead Predator, excluding NECA, there's not another company pushing forward with him.

Compared to past movie releases the noise from the fans seems very quiet. Maybe I'm just getting older and not looking in the right places...

brain_damage

brain_damage

I am not saying it is a part of the pod, on the contrary. Looks like a rubber/plastic wrap for it's end.

Still Collating...

This was just disappointing. It had good bits but not much. It wasn't even as entertaining as I hoped it would be at least. Very few of the jokes hit home with me.

Lore wise? It's bad, I had less of a problem with Covenant's ideas than this. Covenant executed their retroactive wtf moments better than The Predator IMO. I even liked some of Covenant's premises but whenever it got annoying at least Scott made it ambiguous enough that a lot of the problems the fans have can be fixed nicely and at least the ideas weren't in your face all the time being presented as fact. The Predator loves doing that though. Munn and Brown were exposition machines and the worst kind at that, they were there to throw the new annoying stuff at our faces and if those new premises aren't fact, then they're just pulling stuff out of their ass. Fox has chopped this movie up, but the majority of the faults lye with Black.

The whole premise of the movie is bad. Marvel Ironman Predator Suits? Weaponized autism? WTF?! And why? Predators can't be that stupid to need really uniquely smart people, their technology is already too advanced to make us think they need smarter genes from humans... The way Black handled the mental issues of the characters really bugs me. Autism is not a superpower, and even if it was the case that everyone who has autism is a savant (which it's not), it's still a stretch to believe that a little kid could be what the Upgrade wants. If the kid was a lot older and had proven himself with his actions, or thinking up some plans that might have been believable, I'd have preferred that. It doesn't feel earned here, he just becomes the Deus Ex Machina/MacGuffin. It seems like the movie is stating that your autism is awesome only if you're a savant too, if the writers even know that the not every autistic person is a savant.

"Most experts believe that autism is the next step in evolution" is false. The majority don't believe that, firstly because that's not how evolution works. It's a gene variation, with benefits and flaws like so many others. I'm mean, are blue eyes the next step of evolution? It's just a mutation, evolution doesn't work like that guys, especially since we as humans have almost eliminated natural selection. Things go a little differently now. It seems like Black is glorifying some mental health issues because of his condition. That's just arrogant and self serving when you go overboard. I say that because of his comment on people with schizophrenia, how some people believe that they are seeing things that others can't see. WTF?! That's dangerous thinking and mental health is no joke.

It's weird. He doesn't tackle mental heath very well here in the movie. But if you do want to do that, you make a serious movie. So why is the movie then so silly? It doesn't take it self seriously, at all. It's not a parody, because the parodies I've watched are much more fun than this. It's a bad comedy with weird ideas for a predator film and they're executed so poorly at best. Yes, the previous movies had funny moments, but the jokes stop when the predator appears.
This movie didn't need DNA upgrading, a kid as a  Deus Ex Machina/MacGuffin in a predator flick is a shit idea as well as a kid being the greatest warrior among soldiers, the predator dogs were poor in design and horrible in execution, human/predator hybrids, spine juice and bulletproof skin are moronic.

If the movie had to have the upgrading stuff, how about this? Don't make your Predator 2.0 a generic Hulk. Want him to be bulletproof? First, that's some lazy writing but secondly, you than give him a cool full armor bodysuit (not like the one at the ending!). Thirdly, make him smarter and use sly tactics. If you have to, give him a few new abilities because of the upgrading and show bit by bit how those abilities become crucial for the new predator as the fight goes on, reveal them slowly and don't go overboard with the superpowers.

I'll take Covenant's pretentious and ambiguous retcons over The Predator's parody retcons any day. The actors did a good job at least. But the movie really feels like it's insulting it's core roots. The predators don't feel like tribal game hunters at all in this movie and that's what bothers me the most.

I have more fun watching AvP:R, though they're bad just the same, just that AvP:R pisses me off less.

The ending? I'm not even gonna talk about that abomination... 

Is it funny? A bit. Deadpool 2 was much more hilarious than I could've ever expected.

Is it fun? Not much right now because I'm still angry as to how the lore was treated arrogantly. I'll probably cool down eventually and enjoy the film more then. But if I want stupid fun and better action then I go watch Infinity War.

So, IMHO this movie has nothing really worthwhile to offer me. Other movies do many things (almost everything) better. The only positive thing this movie has to offer me was Fugitive. He was likable if I forget he is part human. Upgrade was okay, but meh compared to any other predator ever. 

The Old One

The Old One

The Predator is cooked, with an orange in his mouth.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: brain_damage on Sep 27, 2018, 10:30:50 PM
perhaps there are more- we never saw that one eject...
Yes we did, isn't that what gets shot out of the Pred ship right at the start of the film?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 30, 2018, 01:24:02 AMYes we did, isn't that what gets shot out of the Pred ship right at the start of the film?

That was the Fugitive's escape pod, the thing that nearly pancakes McKenna in Mexico.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: brain_damage on Sep 27, 2018, 10:30:50 PM
True, it was a bit overkill. But I've spotted something seeing the movie in 4DX theater just a moment ago- the pod had a ruber/plastic cap at the end spelling "POD 3".,,perhaps there are more- we never saw that one eject...or other for that matter. Anyone having some thoughts on it?
They mention there being more encounters with Predators earlier in the film, so it's possibly just the third recovered pod over the years (there were two "friendly" Predators originally who could've been Pod 1 and 2, or they just put "3" to imply backstory.)

viendammage

viendammage

Have seen it twice and enjoyed it both times. Nothing will ever touch the original or even the sequel. Thought the misfits worked well together, it was a little too funny which made it a little goofy but fun. Liked how they tried to expand the Predator mythos.
Upon second view the scale was more apparent with Stargazer set, Predator ship, the small town vibe worked and I caught some nice Easter eggs which makes me wonder what else they put in. Weakest aspect was probably that Boyd Holbrook doesn't hold a candle to Arnie or Danny.
The pod reveal would have been a perfect Arnold cameo. A shame the investment won't pay off so we'll see what happens in another 8 years.
Rank them 1, 2, 4, 3, Avp, Avp 2.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 30, 2018, 09:53:43 AM
Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 30, 2018, 01:24:02 AMYes we did, isn't that what gets shot out of the Pred ship right at the start of the film?

That was the Fugitive's escape pod, the thing that nearly pancakes McKenna in Mexico.
I stand corrected, thanks for the info.  I'd be lying if I said I could remember all the details clearly.  ;)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: viendammage on Oct 01, 2018, 04:16:55 AM
The pod reveal would have been a perfect Arnold cameo.

Yes! I just talked to someone who saw the movie on Saturday and this was EXACTLY what he was thinking. He was convinced Dutch was in there, and was surprised when it wasn't!

QuoteA shame the investment won't pay off so we'll see what happens in another 8 years.

Totally agree with your top three: 1, 2, 4

Nathsp

Nathsp

I prefer predators, i rewatched it, and after seeing the new one ive seen it with other eyes.
The plot while bad develop is way better than the mess from black,  and they used another specie so it dont mess with the legacy of the original, the fight scene was meh but overal i prefer predators, and the super pred designs are better for me than the hulk i mean upgrade.

FUBAR1945

FUBAR1945

Did IQ droped while i was alway?

This movie is not OK, this movie is a mess.
I thought It was a stand up comedy, i really do.
It was cringye a*.

When i think of Predator movies i think of action, heros, badassery, the unknow, fear, like when Billy said they all were going to die in the jungle, when Dutch had no exit and decided to make a stand, when Mike gets overwhelmed about discovering what was hunting him, this movie has any of that, It feels like they want to shove down your trouth action comedy and fear ALL the same time.

Thomas Jane, a great actor that is set aside, a kid plot that is forgetable, why there is a kid in a Predator movie?

This movie has nothing to keep you going, its full of comedy reliefs that destroys the movie tensions, its to much, does Shane didnt knew the time to stop?

I mean, 90% of this movie is garbage, even If the plot had potencial Shane Black made the worst possible with It, non-stop stupid jokes, the movie is so dark that you have to force to see the action, its even darker than AvP2.

Everything that has almost none probability of happen happens! Its nice that it has gore, also the CGI when the exo Predator eats that guys head is awfull.

Ah and the end, how they could do such bad ending.
Predator killer, the kid is the New CEO out of no-where. I Dont even remember what happened with the director of the Stargaze project. Its a teenager movie.

It was that bad. I had to say, imo even AvP2 was a Far better movie.

Btw, im actually Sad because we are now really far away from a decent Alien or Predator movie.
I Dont see any alien or Predator movie in the short or long term. And that makes me sad and pissed.

viendammage

viendammage

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 01, 2018, 08:22:24 PM
Quote from: viendammage on Oct 01, 2018, 04:16:55 AM
The pod reveal would have been a perfect Arnold cameo.

Yes! I just talked to someone who saw the movie on Saturday and this was EXACTLY what he was thinking. He was convinced Dutch was in there, and was surprised when it wasn't!

QuoteA shame the investment won't pay off so we'll see what happens in another 8 years.

Totally agree with your top three: 1, 2, 4

I got so pumped watching and thinking it was a secret Arnold cameo then that War Machine suit came out and I got brought back to earth! Think you could have brought back Arnie in a meaty supporting role as either a government guy or a late introduction who saves them and sacrifices himself or gets taken out of the fight. So then the film wouldn't hinge on his involvement since he's not exactly box office guarantee these days but who is?

Rank wise, I put this in front of Predators because it tells it's own story and has a more engaging cast. Predators grows on you but it's still a two act film that lifts mercilessly from the original without adding much.

P.S. my friends and I always ask each other, "want some candy?", Predator 2 for life!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: viendammage on Oct 02, 2018, 02:12:55 AM]

I got so pumped watching and thinking it was a secret Arnold cameo then that War Machine suit came out and I got brought back to earth! Think you could have brought back Arnie in a meaty supporting role as either a government guy or a late introduction who saves them and sacrifices himself or gets taken out of the fight. So then the film wouldn't hinge on his involvement since he's not exactly box office guarantee these days but who is?

I know the studio wanted to move away from an Arnold staring vehicle, but I don't know why they didn't pursue a "Creed" or "Blade Runner 2049" formula where they bring back Arnold as "Dutch" and match him with someone like Michael B. Jordan or Ryan Gosling. Considering Arnold would have been reportedly interested in returning to the Predator franchise if his part was bigger, it certainly feels like a missed opportunity in my humble opinion to attract new fans as well as old.

QuoteRank wise, I put this in front of Predators because it tells it's own story and has a more engaging cast. Predators grows on you but it's still a two act film that lifts mercilessly from the original without adding much.

YES!!!!!  I was just complaining about Predators lifting from the original on a different thread, using Hanzo as an example. This is a portion of what I said:

Take Hanzo the Yakuza.  He stops fleeing with the survivors just like Billy. Turns to face the oncoming Predator just like Billy. Takes off his shirt just like Billy. Un-sheathes his bladed weapon just like Billy. The exact music plays, just like it did with Billy.

I'm all for a sword fight with a Predator, but come on,  get us there a different way. That's why, even with all its misteps, "The Predator" is fresh and so much more engaging than "Predators"  (including a better cast).

QuoteP.S. my friends and I always ask each other, "want some candy?", Predator 2 for life!

Yes!!!!

And when he repeats "want some candy" in the subway car I find it so chilling.  I love Predator 2 as much as the original. Sometimes more. I always contend..."That's how you do a sequel!" BOOM!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed