will we ever see a design that looks EXACKLY like this?

Started by xenomorph36, Jun 10, 2009, 11:19:19 AM

Author
will we ever see a design that looks EXACKLY like this? (Read 22,381 times)

ShadowPred

Yeah, only for when it was impossible to do anything pracitcal (movement wise, like expressions or athletic shit)

xenomorph36

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2009, 07:21:51 AM
Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 14, 2009, 07:08:48 AM
Are you saying james cameron's alien looks more realistic than the recent film(king kong, startrek etc)?
Uh, yeah. Kong is obviously computer generated. All the effects in Star Trek are obviously computer generated. It smacks you in the face. They're good computer generated images, but it's still obvious.

When you're watching Aliens and you see the creatures, you don't say, "Holy shit, nice effects", you say "Holy shit it's an Alien."

well yes . i did. when i was 10 years old. I think that was the first time i watched aliens.

I always thought the close up shots(even now) looked pretty realistic but when it comes to full body shots, it looked pretty lame. Even you agreed that the last scene from A L I E N  looked fake.

i'm not trying to say that they should abuse the cgi effect but all i'm saying is whenever there is a need for a full body shot(which involves fast movenments) it is imo, a better way to approach with cgi due to movenment and the bulkyness of the medium.

Also i would rather have a nice effect (with slick design) than a realistic alien that looks like a man in a suit.

Alien³

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 15, 2009, 08:13:22 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2009, 07:21:51 AM
Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 14, 2009, 07:08:48 AM
Are you saying james cameron's alien looks more realistic than the recent film(king kong, startrek etc)?
Uh, yeah. Kong is obviously computer generated. All the effects in Star Trek are obviously computer generated. It smacks you in the face. They're good computer generated images, but it's still obvious.

When you're watching Aliens and you see the creatures, you don't say, "Holy shit, nice effects", you say "Holy shit it's an Alien."

well yes . i did. when i was 10 years old. I think that was the first time i watched aliens.

I always thought the close up shots(even now) looked pretty realistic but when it comes to full body shots, it looked pretty lame. Even you agreed that the last scene from A L I E N  looked fake.

i'm not trying to say that they should abuse the cgi effect but all i'm saying is whenever there is a need for a full body shot(which involves fast movenments) it is imo, a better way to approach with cgi due to movenment and the bulkyness of the medium.

Also i would rather have a nice effect (with slick design) than a realistic alien that looks like a man in a suit.

I don't mind C.G.I as I've said before in other threads but they need to do the alien in a suit. Are you saying that in Predators they should do the predators completely C.G.I because they were done with people in suits?

I think we should stick to the tradition.

xenomorph36

^

no. predators look very humanoid, much more so than the alien so i think they should stick with the man in a suit concept.

As for the alien, if they make it into a cgi they can some how make the proportion differently than the humans. Look at labyrinth(comic book) for examle. i like the way it had such a long slender legs.

SiL

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 15, 2009, 08:13:22 AM
There are always exceptions to a rule.

QuoteEven you agreed that the last scene from A L I E N  looked fake.
Yes, but I'm not talking about Alien, I'm talking about Aliens. The Aliens crawling through the vents remain more convincing than any computer generated monster effect I've seen. Same with the Alien bouncing off the walls in the hive.

It's amazing what can be achieved if someone just knows how to do what they're doing.

Compare the Aliens crawling over the walls in Aliens, to them crawling in either of the AvP movies. They're much more convincing in the older film, because Cameron understands effects and how to hide them.

The simplest solution to the "They look like a guy in a suit in full body shots" is to, well, not have full body shots, or have them be very quick. Worked so far.

Kyuubi no Kaiju

The alien from ALIEN wasn't goofy! The hell's wrong with you? Sure, it looked faker than the newer films, but still! It's a design the world had never seen before, not a bootleg creature from Star Wars.

predatorfandrc90

ShadowPred

SiL

Kimarhi

To me cg is more of a tool to help punctuage effects in a movie.  But shouldn't be the main source of special effects in a movie.  Jurassic Park to this day used it the best.  Kept mostof the cg effects in darkly lit areas or in the rain.  Looked and felt real.

Take that and compare it to I Am Legend.  A movie helped not at all by TERRIBLE CGI when makeup'd and costumed performers could've been so much better.

Am I the only one that didn't think the Alien suite looked terrible in alien?  I realize it was a guy in a suit, but I wasn't thinking during the movie, "man, thats a guy in a suit," when I watched it.

On the flipside, movies that overuse CGI only take me out of the picture.

I am Legend is a prime example.  I'm happy that practical effects were used for the LOTR trilogy for the most part.  I remember groaning in the theater during the prologue to Fellowship.  As opposed to being blown away at the films final battle with saruman's orcs.

The same for the Matrix as oppossed to its sequels, where the overuse of CGI became apparant and distracting.  Especially when they used it for absolutely no reason.  Why do you need slo mo punching in the face of agent smith in cgi?  You have normal actors that can do he same action.

CG is a tool.  Its just not the only tool.  For the whole, I vastly prefer robotics and suited performers.

xenomorph36

i just watched kong again. i am still AMAZED at how they did all that stuff with cg. The t-rex vs kong is one of the if not the best cg effect ever created. jurassic park can kiss my ass.  :D

SiL

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jul 11, 2009, 05:24:14 PM
The t-rex vs kong is one of the if not the best cg effect ever created.
Hardly. It's obviously computer generated the whole way through. The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

Highland

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jul 11, 2009, 05:24:14 PM
i just watched kong again. i am still AMAZED at how they did all that stuff with cg. The t-rex vs kong is one of the if not the best cg effect ever created. jurassic park can kiss my ass.  :D

This scene could have been 10 times better had PJ not used the terrible designs for the T-rex and the ridiculously-outlandish fight sequence. Jurassic Park is the King of the Dinosaurs.

Gates

Carnosaur 2 says otherwise... ;)

Nightmare Asylum

Alien=Goofy? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Try Alien=EPIC Greatest monster design in the greatest movie!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed