Problem with Carl Erik Rinsch

Started by Ja, Jun 09, 2009, 02:00:52 PM

Author
Problem with Carl Erik Rinsch (Read 17,729 times)

The Chibi Kiriyama

Either way works fine for me. If you want to look at this in the "who's worse" light, I think they're both even, since it's not like they're bad choices to begin with. If we get Ridley, we can expect him to follow up on that "Space Jockey seeding planets in a war" angle. If we get Rinsch, we're testing unfamiliar waters. But they've both got amazing visions of the future, so I win out in the end. ;D

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 10, 2009, 04:37:52 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 09, 2009, 10:02:46 PM
Except they said they won't do the movie without Ridley directing. Forcing him off the project would mean the project wouldn't be done.

Your going to believe the studio that tells your there is no Alien 3 workprint in the manual that comes with the quad?  After people have commentated on its existance for years?

It could be a bullshit rumor.

Or it could be social posturing by Fox to make themselves look innocent when Scott leaves.  What they said and what they do isn't always the same thing.

Plus they stand to make way more off the games/licensing than the movies long term, and simply keep spewing out collections at super reduced cost.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I understand people's joy with this bit of news, but wasn't Ridley Scott the one who wanted to continue the Alien movies without the Alien? Someone mentioned that in the Alien Prequel thread.

SM

SM

He also wanted the Alien talking in Ripley's voice.  It's all vague ideas and rumour.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Eh, vague rumours or otherwise, they make me cringe. Still, I don't really know who else I'd want directing the film. Hell, even Cameron I'd be worried about in a way because he didn't preserve the original mystery of the creature.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 10, 2009, 04:37:52 AM
Your going to believe the studio that tells your there is no Alien 3 workprint in the manual that comes with the quad?  After people have commentated on its existance for years?
I wouldn't believe a company if they ever did that - Well, I'd take their word with a grain of salt - but Fox never did.

Or at least, as far as is my experience. I don't have the Quadrilogy, but I do have the 2-disc set, which has a blurb on the inside cover referring to the extended cut for Alien 3. The blurb very clearly states there is no actual director's cut, and that the extended edition found in the collection is simply as close to what the cut was as they could figure when Fincher left production, or something along those lines. It certainly doesn't deny the existence of a workprint.

But like I said, that's the 2-disc release. There may have been a change between the Quad and the individual sets.

Still, what's got most people saying they're okay with this idea is Scott being attached - This is made clear everywhere. So while Fox knows there's an audience, they also know that a good deal of that, at this stage, is Scott himself being involved. It'd be foolish to force him off the project and then do it anyway, because the back-lash would be considerable.

Obviously the general public doesn't give a shit, but removing most of the fanbase / film lovers in general who do give a crap would make a notable dent in potential monetary gain.

This all being said, f**k it, it's Fox.

xenomorph36

ridley is getting old.. so as his imagination. i dont know why fox is so obsessed with ridley. i haven't seen any memorable movies for a long time . sure his movies are usually better than average, but that doesn't mean his going to be the god of all director.

i actually think choosing Cameron as a director is a better approach imo, because he seems to make good movie sequel. However i know it's almost impossible for him because he as like 2 trilogy coming up. Well all i wanna say now is

rest in peace A L I E N  franchise..  :)

The Chibi Kiriyama

Cameron can be really overrated, but I wouldn't mind him. I think he could make the Alien threatening again if he wanted to. Still, I like Ridley for that psychedelic mind of his. Few men would flip through a Heavy Metal magazine and say "this is my Bible for what the future should be like." Yet he makes that dingy, eye-catching look at science fiction work almost every time, even if he gets a little too caught up in visuals.

SiL

SiL

Cameron only made three movies worth rewatching.

There, I said it.

The Chibi Kiriyama

I'd say four, but that's because I add in True Lies to the usual three; that scene with Jamie Lee Curtis is hawt. ;)

SiL

SiL

I can't rewatch it often because of its massive detour from the plot halfway through. It's always so jarring to me.

Übermensch

Not a huge Cameron fan, either, I like Terminator, T2 and Aliens.  I found The Abyss and Titanic boring.  True Lies was an average James Bond spoof.

And I only like 4 of Ridley's movies - Alien, Blade Runner, 1492 and Black Hawk Down.

It's too bad about that Rinsch guy, I think it would have been good to see a new director (remember the ALIEN tradition of having a different director each time?) but still have guidance from producer Ridley Scott, the foremost veteran director of the Alien franchise.

J-Syxx

J-Syxx

Even if Ridley Scott is moving at half speed his film would still be about 100 times better than the usual hack director they would hire for this film.  I want that creepy, gothic visual detail that's been missing since the first film again.

xenomorph36

i actually like titantic even though every one (specially the younger audience) hates it.

the reason why i dont want ridley as a director is because he already made a master peice. It's really hard to make something as good from a same person because he already did it once. Let some other director do it this time.

FearPeteySodes

The real reason i want Ridley back is because as much as i love Cameron's vision in Aliens, i think it caused the snowball effect into the perversions of the series that we have.  The franchise has been watered down to generic action sci-fi.  I would love to see a return to horror, not modern horror mind you that demands over the top gore, but the slow building almost lovecraftian fear of the unknown style of the original.  So after some thought, for me Rinsch or Ridley would be fine as long long as it gets the care it deserves.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed