Alien 5 or Alien 0 ?

Started by Highland, Jun 02, 2009, 03:29:22 PM

Author
Alien 5 or Alien 0 ? (Read 5,501 times)

Highland

Highland

Just thought I'd throw this one into the mixer.

I see most people on here clinging on to the word canon, and what it means in the series as a picture,painting or just history.

But who defines canon? who determines what is canon and what isn't? and are we as fans just hanging on to some fantasy that has some rough edges? are we just open to be used ? 

Are we just wanting the alien to remain the alien or does Mr Scott have the power to change what he likes and force us to accept that the story is how he see's fit.

Are we just selfish fan boys living in a fantasy land? each an every one of us with a perfect species? in a perfect story in a perfect setting?

The PredBen

The PredBen

Its a prequel and will keep cannon with the established work.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

If this one sucks it's actually going to scar deep because there's no going around it about "not being part of the series" it's not a versus thing, it IS an Alien film.

SM

SM

If it f**ks up continuity in a major way, no one will give it any canon cred.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SM on Jun 03, 2009, 12:18:07 AM
Which doesn't change the fact that it actually is canon.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jun 03, 2009, 02:06:02 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 03, 2009, 12:18:07 AM
Which doesn't change the fact that it actually is canon.

Well.....no. If it sucks, we'll simply pretend it "isn't there".

"But it is there." you say?

Don't. Care. At the end of the day they're just movies, so if you want to think they aren't canon, so be it.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteAt the end of the day they're just movies, so if you want to think they aren't canon, so be it.
And all movies are canon, sure, you can tell yourself that they aren't or they simply don't exist, but in this case you would just be lying to yourself.

SM

SM

Or you could be lying to everyone else.

Fox don't really give a shit about canon and have never issued any edicts about what it and what isn't.  So all that's left is popular opinion.

Fans have, can and will continue to pick and choose, despite your raging to the contrary.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteFans have, can and will continue to pick and choose
I never said otherwise, but that still doesn't change the only fact that movies are and will always be canon.

Despite everyone else's ignorance. And they can turn upside down and crawl up the walls if they like, but movies will always be canon, and that's it.

SM

SM

Says who?  You?  Cos Fox have never said any such thing.  They're more likely to say all the spin-off video games, comics and books are canon too, since they officially licensed them - and they're all chockoblock full of irreconcilable continuity glitches.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteCos Fox have never said any such thing.
I don't remember where i read it but i have in mind that FOX did infact say that the movies alone are canon.
And besides that, there is a difference between a comic book, a video game and a movie, its not like the movies were done based on comic books or video games, the movies came first and therefore are esteemed as canon. You cant just de-canonize a movie based on your fanboyism and  the movie isn't canon because your creature doesn't get treated the way you think it should and at the same time canonize a movie based on things you loved or you think are right. Either you accept the whole package or nothing at all.
QuoteThey're more likely to say all the spin-off video games, comics and books are canon too
And that is really pure speculation, because i can say without a doubt that fox never said that or even mentioned it.

SM

SM

And yet you can't back up your statement either.  If you can please do.  I'd be surprised - but not disappointed - if you could.  Fox simply don't have that level of commitment to Alien canon.  Until then the statement "FOX did infact say that the movies alone are canon" to be quite false.

On the flipside I have heard about conversations between fans and licensees (eg Dark Horse) where the licensees have said that Fox considers everything all the one universe. 

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

In the end of the day, none of us can back up their statement (or can you?), i really do think i read that FOX said that the movies are canon and that the video games and comic books are not the same universe, i cant back that up and therefore I'm not expecting you to believe me and vice versa.

I think movies are canon, either all of them or none of them, you think you can pick each one individually by each ones personal taste and fanboyism.

So we have to live with that.

Übermensch

Übermensch

I honestly don't give a shit about 'canon'.  I like what I like and that's it.

SM

SM

QuoteIn the end of the day, none of us can back up their statement (or can you?),

I'm not making claims one way or the other so I don't have to back anything up.

QuoteI think movies are canon, either all of them or none of them, you think you can pick each one individually by each ones personal taste and fanboyism.

I don't actually think that.  I generally stick to movies too.  However the fact is people do pick and choose and until Fox comes down from on high and says "THIS is canon, and THIS isn't" (and things would be much simpler if they did), they'll continue to pick and choose, no matter how much you want to try and force your opinion as fact.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed