ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 152,805 times)

XenoZipper

Oh yea she still kept me in the story for sure she was pretty awesome. I listened to the 2nd half in 1 sitting. I liked the progress reports but I agree it got a little excessive near the end but yea he was a great villian for it! Overall, it was a great radio drama & I hope more are planned. If anything, it makes me want to find the novels & read those to get more details. The only Alien novels I have is the novelization for Alien, Alien Harvest & No Exit.

Engineer

I have all the novels except the rage wars trilogy. But I haven't read them all yet. The books during the original dark horse run were all pretty good (although some seemed a little repetitive in there plot elements). My favorites were rogue, and music of the spears. The second dark horse run I was very let down by. I read original sin, DNA war, and cauldron and felt they were b-monster stories. Big let down! I was discouraged from reading the rest. I still plan to read them all but I haven't been in a rush.

When Titan started releasing stories, I got those first 3, but I was still hesitant to dive right in. Especially since I knew out of the shadows includes ripley; that made me wary. But this audio drama got me excited about the books again! I just finished reading the book I started a few weeks ago (ring world by Larry Niven), and I just started reading out of the shadows. I'm only 1 chapter in, but so far I'm enjoying it.

XenoZipper

Yea most of the Dark Horse comic run is what I know the most. Never read any novelizations to any of them though. Slightly unrelated but still related to Out of Shadows, because I just listened to this audio story recently & I'm in the process of playing through Lego Jurassic Park, I noticed the pig squeals they use in the game is the same sound they use for the Alien when it gives a death screech in the audio drama haha Just something I noticed a few mins ago while playing the game & went "wait, that sounds oddly familiar".

Perfect-Organism

If I'm not mistaken, that's an elephant squeel with pitch adjustment...

XenoZipper

Maybe for the movies but I don't think they used the same sound in the radio drama. All I'm saying is the sound effect used for the pig in Lego Jurassic Park is the exact same sound the use for alien sreeching in the radio drama. What the soundbyte comes from I couldn't tell ya. I thought the movies were a mix of pitch shifted elephant & peacock.

Perfect-Organism

My favorite squeel was when the head of the Alien got crushed by the APC.

I never thought I'd have a favorite squeel...

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 06, 2016, 05:12:16 AM
My favorite squeel was when the head of the Alien got crushed by the APC.

I never thought I'd have a favorite squeel...

Yep that's my favorite one too. Same one used during the hive attack I believe when you see Hicks using the shotgun on the video feed. It's an iconic screech I think, it's a sound I associate with them like the Predator's roar.

Question though, is there any other audiobooks out there other than Out of the Shadows, the 4 movie novelizations & Lance's old Alien 3? I love to read novels but don't always have much time to put towards it as I do for stickng in a pair of headphones & listen while I do other things.

Corporal Hicks

There's audio book versions of the Rage War, I believe. But only as audio books, not dramas/plays like this.

HuDaFuK

Are they even out yet? i thought they were due in the future.

Corporal Hicks

Pretty sure 1 and 2 are out. I think Darkness was listening to them.

Engineer

Yep 1 and 2 are out. I got book 1, but haven't started listening to it yet.

XenoZipper

That's cool! I'll have to take a search for those later. I'm ok with it just being a normal audio reading. The longer it lasts, the better :P

Corporal Hicks

I find I don't pay attention when it's just an audio book.  :-\

Engineer

Same here. I prefer the hard copy, otherwise I can't stay as focused. But I have been thinking about doing both at the same time!! Listen to the audiobook while I read along with a physical copy... :-)

XenoZipper

That's fair. I can see how just normal audio reads can be pretty boring to some or hard to pay attention to without sound effects/music and all that. It's definitely an acquired taste and not for everyone. If I had more time to put towards just sitting there reading a physical copy I would but I don't. I spent a good portion of the last 10 years doing graveyard shift so podcasts & audiobooks became my best friend during those long boring nights. I recently got the audio book for Bruce Campbell's book If Chins Could Kill. 10 hours of Bruce Campbell goodness haha

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed