Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1052

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 577,918 times)

DJ Pu$$yface

DJ Pu$$yface

Why do people seem to hate Alien Ressurection? I watched it, and I loved it! Doesn't beat Aliens, but it comes close. I found the Newborn tragic, especially at the end.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Abomination on May 28, 2010, 07:44:09 AM
Why do people seem to hate Alien Ressurection? I watched it, and I loved it! Doesn't beat Aliens, but it comes close. I found the Newborn tragic, especially at the end.

In (very) short:

-its not taking itself seriously
-the Mel brooks humor
-comic book-ish elements that could fit with X-Men, like the superstrong, Holywood tough mutant with superpowers and extra senses ( ::))
-focus is on shooting bad monsters, not on characters (about the only moment is the brief clone room scene, which is ruined anyway by yet another joke in the movie, spoken by Perlman)
-the characters are ridiculously looking and cartoony. They look like circus runaways
-Holywood cheese - the cartoon characters shooting with two guns upside down screaming. Superhero movie all the way
-aliens' mystique and name is ruined. While in other movies they were potrayed as shadowy figures that lure in the dark and are seen only for a split second, here theyre constantly shown full in broad light, and now trapped and trained like puppies
-music
-European style. I dont like French movies and by Jeunet own admission its a European movie with american production
-cinematography. I know the movie is crap but that doesnt mean everything has to be brown
-alien design. I mean Pumpkinhead, cause I havent seen any aliens there. Only Pumpkinheads with heads resembling ladybugs who growl like tigers. Theres no trace of the biomechanical monsters with sexual features like the penis head or vaginas and penises on the torso. Theyre now fleshy, muscular monsters

A:R is not only my most disliked movie with aliens but one of my most disliked movie in general. I even prefer the garbage that AVPR is over this because at least AVPR isnt a half parody with superhumans

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

QuoteA:R is not only my most disliked movie with aliens but one of my most disliked movie in general. I even prefer the garbage that AVPR is over this because at least AVPR isnt a half parody with superhumans

Alien: Rez at least had decent if not even good acting. Signourney is great and the conflict of her deciding either to be an Alien or a human is something fairly new and fresh to the Alien Series (something it needed desperately after Alien 3). Ron Perlman lifts any movie up because of his unique style of acting. If he has some stupid quotes or scenes i'ts not his fault, he simply does what he is asked to do... and he does that outstandingly!

As far as the comcial elements. Again it brings fresh wind after the monotone Alien 3. It stands out and is unique in it's way. The visual style is as a matter of fact one of the best and would have really suited the franchise if it weren't for the to mammal looking Aliens (I agree with you on that one).

But seriously... AVP:R had nothing... to name that film in the same sentence like any Alien film is a crime...

Yet again, I have to say, I wish that the Alien Franchise would have ended with Cameron's Aliens.

Basher917

Basher917

Quote from: Tangakkai on May 28, 2010, 12:06:18 PM
QuoteA:R is not only my most disliked movie with aliens but one of my most disliked movie in general. I even prefer the garbage that AVPR is over this because at least AVPR isnt a half parody with superhumans

Alien: Rez at least had decent if not even good acting. Signourney is great and the conflict of her deciding either to be an Alien or a human is something fairly new and fresh to the Alien Series (something it needed desperately after Alien 3). Ron Perlman lifts any movie up because of his unique style of acting. If he has some stupid quotes or scenes i'ts not his fault, he simply does what he is asked to do... and he does that outstandingly!

As far as the comcial elements. Again it brings fresh wind after the monotone Alien 3. It stands out and is unique in it's way. The visual style is as a matter of fact one of the best and would have really suited the franchise if it weren't for the to mammal looking Aliens (I agree with you on that one).

But seriously... AVP:R had nothing... to name that film in the same sentence like any Alien film is a crime...

Yet again, I have to say, I wish that the Alien Franchise would have ended with Cameron's Aliens.

so what about good acting?

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Oh come on, you would also look like that if you where in a choke-hold :D

Basher917

Basher917

Quote from: Tangakkai on May 28, 2010, 12:13:15 PM

what choke-hold?  ;D

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Quote from: Basher917 on May 28, 2010, 12:25:21 PM

what choke-hold?  ;D

Okay Okay... you won this round  :D

Still I'm gonna stick with this: AVP:Rez acting was lightyears ahead of what we saw in AVP:R ... not that this would be a challenge though... -.-

I mean you must agree that the whole "hired-guns" crew was quite believable... and the sick professor who tries to kiss the alien also had his moments...

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Quote from: StrangeShape on May 28, 2010, 09:12:59 AM
-music

Hey! The soundtrack was good.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Tangakkai on May 28, 2010, 12:50:29 PM
AVP:Rez

You sure about that? :)

I didn't hate Resurrection. It was an okay film, the worst of the Alien series, but definitely not a terrible movie.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No, it really was. 

"I can get you off. Maybe not the boat..." >_<

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Whatever. The only terrible film associated with this site (in my opinion) would be that film.

Skinner

Skinner

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 29, 2010, 01:04:09 AM
Whatever. The only terrible film associated with this site (in my opinion) would be that film.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

*throws holy water*

THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU! THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

Basher917

Basher917

Quote from: Tangakkai on May 28, 2010, 12:50:29 PM
Quote from: Basher917 on May 28, 2010, 12:25:21 PM

what choke-hold?  ;D

Okay Okay... you won this round  :D

Still I'm gonna stick with this: AVP:Rez acting was lightyears ahead of what we saw in AVP:R ... not that this would be a challenge though... -.-

I mean you must agree that the whole "hired-guns" crew was quite believable... and the sick professor who tries to kiss the alien also had his moments...

kiss? that guy whas half insane, he could be trying to mate with it for all we know

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying I like AVPR, im not insane.

Im just saying that an abomination like AVPR even has a slight advantage because at least it tries to be serious and doesnt have superhumans from X-Men, John McClaine and a rock band in it. Not to mention the Pirates of the Carribean in that movie werent afraid at all. Even the gunho marines looked like they saw a ghost the entire time after the first encounter and were sweating from fear and tension. Even the big bad bold rapists and murderers were painting their pants brown once things got dicy. Yet here the tough guys who look like they escaped from a Mad max movie dont seem to care much

Its all everyones preference. I could go on forever about how much I hate A:R but I dont really want to because I dont like discussing something I dislike or dont care for at all. A:R may not be the worst movie ever, but its a terrible ALIEN movie. The same premise would be fantastic (genetic experiments, aliens breaking free in labolatories etc) and could be really horrific but with a different script, approach and a great director that would handle such subject very well, like David Cronenberg for example.

They couldve leave the original beginning with the bug in, that way everyone would know right away how "serious" and intelligent this movie's going to be and I wouldnt have to sit through it in theaters

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed