"Hunter's Planet" or "War" ???

Started by happypred, Feb 10, 2008, 12:50:44 AM

Author
"Hunter's Planet" or "War" ??? (Read 4,266 times)

happypred

happypred

If you look on Amazon it touts the AvP novels as a trilogy: Prey (Book 1), Hunter's Planet (Book 2), and War (Book 3). But if you read them it's obvious that Hunter's Planet and War are actually alternate sequels to Prey.

Personally, I prefer Hunter's Planet. The Shorty character is a lot more menacing, a skilled warrior who overcompensates for his lack size, rather than an incompetent bully.

And a lot of you might disagree, but I really hate the Machiko character, come on a 5 foot tall human female surviving in predator society. Seriously I don't care how well-versed she is in secret ninja techniques, she wouldn't make it through the first week.

I think in War they have scenes with her beating predators and aliens in hand to hand combat...that made me put down the book to do something more worth my time...like folding my underwear.

What's really annoying is whenever I go to the bookstore they only have War and Hunter's Planet. I own Hunter's Planet and I thought it was pretty decent, but would like to get my hands on Prey.

Deadly Lotus

Hunters planet has the coolest cover art..

happypred

happypred

You'd like to be that little human female wouldn't you? With that big strong hunter cuddling you from behind perhaps? ;D

Deadly Lotus

Quote from: happypred on Feb 10, 2008, 02:40:02 AM
You'd like to be that little human female wouldn't you? With that big strong hunter cuddling you from behind perhaps? ;D

lol, i would lol...

i haven't read hunters planet...yet...

is it anygood?

happypred

happypred

I liked it...I preferred it over War, which they made into a comic. The same character is portrayed differently and dies differently in both books, so they don't go together. Would've liked to see Hunter's Planet as a comic instead of War, which is pretty shitty.

Oh yeah and the Machiko character is less annoying in Hunter's Planet.

Deadly Lotus

Quote from: happypred on Feb 10, 2008, 07:10:12 PM
I liked it...I preferred it over War, which they made into a comic. The same character is portrayed differently and dies differently in both books, so they don't go together. Would've liked to see Hunter's Planet as a comic instead of War, which is pretty shitty.

is there any pics of Machiko Noguchi in the Pred armour that could be put in to a sig for the comic books?

Space Disc Jockey

Well, I have all three books and I do think Hunter's Planet is more interesting than War, however, as for the comic, I did enjoy reading/looking at the first half of "War". The second half of the War comic is pretty bad (especially, the artwork), but I enjoyed the first half.

Anyway, I have seen Prey at Barnes and Nobles, so I highly recommend looking for one close to your area. You can go to the Barnes and Noble website and check store availability of Prey.

I thought the idea of Machiko joining the Predators was a great idea, since I also like the idea of there being female Predators that also hunt, either along side the male Predators, or form their own female hunting clans.

Cenobite Queen, I bet there are some images of Machiko in the Predator armor on the Internet, somewhere.

Deadly Lotus

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Feb 12, 2008, 04:58:27 AM
Well, I have all three books and I do think Hunter's Planet is more interesting than War, however, as for the comic, I did enjoy reading/looking at the first half of "War". The second half of the War comic is pretty bad (especially, the artwork), but I enjoyed the first half.

Anyway, I have seen Prey at Barnes and Nobles, so I highly recommend looking for one close to your area. You can go to the Barnes and Noble website and check store availability of Prey.

I thought the idea of Machiko joining the Predators was a great idea, since I also like the idea of there being female Predators that also hunt, either along side the male Predators, or form their own female hunting clans.

Cenobite Queen, I bet there are some images of Machiko in the Predator armor on the Internet, somewhere.

There probably are but it's finding them thats the hard part lol

b-raz

b-raz

Quote from: happypred on Feb 10, 2008, 07:10:12 PM

Agreed, Hunters Planet was good, Id like to see it as a comic too, especially to see how those Alien hybrid things(or whatever they were) looked like exactly  :o I hated how the Predators were portrayed in War in the comic version which I read in Omnibus, it was 3 humans including Machiko(girl turned Predator) against like over a dozen Predators in a shootout and all  the Predators were just dropping like flies. I was like wtf.

happypred

happypred

I did enjoy reading/looking at the first half of "War". The second half of the War comic is pretty bad (especially, the artwork), but I enjoyed the first half.

Well from what I remember of the original publication, there were 5 issues #0 to #4, and only #0 had decent art...

Quote from: b-raz on Feb 16, 2008, 04:15:44 PM
Agreed, Hunters Planet was good, Id like to see it as a comic too, especially to see how those Alien hybrid things(or whatever they were) looked like exactly  :o I hated how the Predators were portrayed in War in the comic version which I read in Omnibus, it was 3 humans including Machiko(girl turned Predator) against like over a dozen Predators in a shootout and all  the Predators were just dropping like flies. I was like wtf.

Yeah, predators as cannon-fodder, impossible...the aliens are good at dying ;D but not the preds

Anyway I remember toward the end of the comic I really wanted Top Knot to tear out Machiko's   spine

Corporal Hicks

...Hunters Planet was good? Hated Predators being cannon fodder?

RODRCALD

RODRCALD

I always though that Hunters Planet was the sequel of War, because in Hunters Planet Machiko remembers when she was with the predator, when she betrayed them, etc.
The only thing i didnt understand is why Shorty was alive, if he had died in the comic version of War.

happypred

happypred

They're alternate sequels to Prey. Both War and Hunter's Planet gloss over Machiko's time with the predators with flashbacks.

b-raz

b-raz

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2008, 09:07:39 PM

...Hunters Planet was good? Hated Predators being cannon fodder?

Yessir.

b-raz

b-raz

Quote from: happypred on Feb 19, 2008, 04:58:44 PM
I did enjoy reading/looking at the first half of "War". The second half of the War comic is pretty bad (especially, the artwork), but I enjoyed the first half.

Well from what I remember of the original publication, there were 5 issues #0 to #4, and only #0 had decent art...

Yeah, predators as cannon-fodder, impossible...the aliens are good at dying ;D but not the preds

Anyway I remember toward the end of the comic I really wanted Top Knot to tear out Machiko's   spine

Haha now that would be sweet. :D But actually the book version of War wasnt as bad as the comic version at that same part where they all fight, I just read it and the only reason they killed a handfull of Predators was because they were distracted with fighting all the Aliens, and they all had bladed melee weapons except one with a burner, it said specifically. So that wasnt bad. They just screw up some things in the comic version when they make it slightly different I think.  :-\ At least imo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed