Just re-watched AvP 2004.....

Started by Scott Conover, Sep 29, 2018, 05:01:22 PM

Author
Just re-watched AvP 2004..... (Read 33,786 times)

SM

SM

The 'skin' around the mandibles always shat me in AvP how it didn't snap back taut.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 19, 2020, 10:01:12 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Dec 19, 2020, 09:49:17 PM
Do I really need to remind you of your love for AVPR ? I'm with CB on that one

Yes, but not over Alien, Aliens, Alien 3... Prometheus even. :)

I'm sorry, when did I say that?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 20, 2020, 01:03:37 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 19, 2020, 10:01:12 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Dec 19, 2020, 09:49:17 PM
Do I really need to remind you of your love for AVPR ? I'm with CB on that one

Yes, but not over Alien, Aliens, Alien 3... Prometheus even. :)

I'm sorry, when did I say that?

You never did. Was just playing around that we found one of the 39 who picked Res as their all time favorite. :)

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2020, 12:10:38 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 19, 2020, 10:42:55 PM
Honestly curious, what makes the Newborn a technical marvel to you, compared to all the creature work you've seen up to that point?
How well it moves, how well the skin stretches and sags and draws over the musculature and skeleton, the performance they got out of it. It's one of the best animatronics put to screen.

Hmm, I guess after ET, Gremlins, American Werewolf in London, Jurassic Park, The Thing, Chucky, Harry and the Hendersons, Neverending Story, Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2, etc. etc. etc. years before it never stood out to me. Overall while I find the design disappointing, it's not a bad effect to me, just never found it personally distinct enough to classify it a marvel.

[cancerblack]

Tbh I probably did vote for it as a laugh.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 20, 2020, 02:01:27 AM
Hmm, I guess after ET, Gremlins, American Werewolf in London, Jurassic Park, The Thing, Chucky, Harry and the Hendersons, Neverending Story, Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2, etc. etc. etc. years before it never stood out to me. Overall while I find the design disappointing, it's not a bad effect to me, just never found it personally distinct enough to classify it a marvel.
If we're measuring on a technical level the Newborn outshines most of those. The original Alien for example wasn't technically impressive at all -- the suit was constantly falling apart and Giger lamented the lack of expertise in the people tasked with its fabrication in his diary. Aliens glued latex onto spandex suits - ingenious, certainly, but technically very basic. I'd label the Queen a marvel for what they were able to do with two guys in a rubber suit, and convinced Spielberg that the dinosaurs could be realised for his film years later -- also technical marvels.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 19, 2020, 09:02:25 PM
I don't think Resurrection is a terrible movie. It's a "weird" one. When I'm in right state of mind I can get a lot of enjoyment out of it

Oh, and I like Newborn. I think he's cute

Do you think the Resurrection video game is better than the movie?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I thought the Res videogame was an underrated horror shooter for its time.

It certainly had more atmosphere than the movie.

SiL

SiL

The Res game was miles better than the movie in about every way. It was tense, it was scary, and it had a more interesting story.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 20, 2020, 02:05:17 AM
Tbh I probably did vote for it as a laugh.

Hey, still, we like what we like!  I'm just happy you're on team Requiem with me over AvP!  8)👍

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2020, 02:35:56 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 20, 2020, 02:01:27 AM
If we're measuring on a technical level the Newborn outshines most of those. The original Alien for example wasn't technically impressive at all -- the suit was constantly falling apart and Giger lamented the lack of expertise in the people tasked with its fabrication in his diary. Aliens glued latex onto spandex suits - ingenious, certainly, but technically very basic. I'd label the Queen a marvel for what they were able to do with two guys in a rubber suit, and convinced Spielberg that the dinosaurs could be realised for his film years later -- also technical marvels.

Yeah with Alien, that's fair. With Aliens I was thinking specifically of the Queen. But performances like from E.T.'s emoting animatronic head is far better than the Newborn to me and that was 15 years earlier. And Spielberg's T-Rex is more of what I'd describe as a marvel, but I guess, to be fair, it's all very subjective.

SiL

SiL

That other marvels exist doesn't preclude the Newborn from being one.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2020, 03:26:38 AM
That other marvels exist doesn't preclude the Newborn from being one.

Well I think with being a marvel it contains a level of surprise and astonishment of its time. James Cameron's T-1000 was a marvel in 1991. The similar shape shifting Terminator in 2019's Dark Fate, although well done, not so much. 

SiL

SiL

Sure, but ET's skin isn't as convincing as the Newborn. The way that thing's flesh moves brings it to life.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

You knew this day would come, Voodoo. The Newborn is a national treasure now. Thanks to ADI  ;D

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2020, 02:53:42 AM
The Res game was miles better than the movie in about every way. It was tense, it was scary, and it had a more interesting story.

Yeah, and while video games are a different kind of media, Resurrection would have been better as a horror film.

I saw Prometheus the other day and thought "ok maybe with a better script and a better edition would have been a better science fiction movie". But it will still be that way. A good science fiction movie, but not a good Alien movie. Yes, the movie series has different visions contributed by different directors, and that includes Prometheus & Covenant since 21st century Scott is another director (and another person) than Scott from 40 years ago. The problem is that, sometimes it's better to go back to basics. Or putting it another way, if you get very experimental the original essence is lost. Prometheus is wonderfull and biblical in scale. But it was never scary, just as Resurrection was always like a comedy and not like the first three movies, which despite being different, were still serious horror movies.

I have mixed feelings because I like the prequels. But sometimes it seems more like an idea that sounded good on paper but was either not well executed, or it was not for an Alien movie. Raised by Wolves, while not entirely Scott's invention, appears to be everything the director wanted for the Alien prequels. This fabric of Religion vs science, mechanical abominations, God is the machine and all that shit.  :-\

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 19, 2020, 11:58:04 PM
Touché!  :D

I'm sorry  :D

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 20, 2020, 02:47:30 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Dec 19, 2020, 09:02:25 PM
I don't think Resurrection is a terrible movie. It's a "weird" one. When I'm in right state of mind I can get a lot of enjoyment out of it

Oh, and I like Newborn. I think he's cute

Do you think the Resurrection video game is better than the movie?

Hard and scary as f**k. I can't play it without cheats

SM

SM

Got stuck at the Queen and haven't been back for yonks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed