Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce

Started by MudButt, Feb 09, 2024, 06:03:51 PM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce (Read 25,098 times)

RoguePred1987

Whoever is cast, I'm sure it'll surprise us and will be really interesting

Semi-random thought: if Dan T. is really going to be in a supervisor role post-'Badlands' it will be interesting to see who they bring on to direct. Since "The Woman King", I'm always going to ride for Gina Prince-Bythewood directing a Predator movie, Prey 2 might be the perfect opportunity.

Nightmare Asylum

David Twohy would be great for one that really leans into the pulp, though now it seems that there's a chance that Badlands could end up being just what I always imagined a Twohy Predator movie might look like...

Mr.Turok

I wonder who would do the soundtrack. I love how unique Prey had its own distinct soundtrack and that can't be lost to generic orchestra.

RoguePred1987

Sarah Schachner did such a terrific job with Prey, even bringing back the Predator theme in a really creative and subtle way, I'd love for her to come back.

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: RoguePred1987 on Mar 26, 2024, 02:12:58 AMSarah Schachner did such a terrific job with Prey, even bringing back the Predator theme in a really creative and subtle way, I'd love for her to come back.
Absolutely and I too would like her to come back and do the next one. It was just so well done.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RoguePred1987 on Mar 26, 2024, 02:12:58 AMSarah Schachner did such a terrific job with Prey, even bringing back the Predator theme in a really creative and subtle way, I'd love for her to come back.

I loved Prey's score. I really did not pick up on the theme until it was pointed out to me. She weaved that in so subtly.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 26, 2024, 09:29:58 AM

I loved Prey's score. I really did not pick up on the theme until it was pointed out to me. She weaved that in so subtly.
I noticed it's like the Predator itself, you can't hear/see it until someone points out the note/shimmer.

NoStyleDutch

I thought Nia DaCosta would be an interesting choice to direct a predator movie based purely on this scene.

Thought it as I was watching it the first time in theaters lol

RoguePred1987

Another really solid choice. If Dan T. isn't directing Prey 2, which he very well may not, the doors are wide open for a new interesting choice.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Thinking more about Predators and the way it promised so much potential with its hunting preserve planet concept that it ultimately squandered, I really do hope that, if Badlands is set on another planet, we actually get to see a Predator taking advantage of that and hunting some indigenous alien fauna. Predators did basically nothing with the River Ghost creature - I know technically a (very much off-screen) Predator lands the kill on it, but even never see anything resembling an encounter between the two, or even a Predator swinging by to collect a trophy afterwards.

Predator 2 opened up a whole universe of possibilities with all of those skulls on display in the Predator ship (even putting aside that skull and writing it off as nothing more than an Easter Egg), and Prey is a lot of fun in the sequences where Feral is getting a feel for the environment he's in and hunting some of the local wildlife before moving on to going after humans. I know David Twohy's style is something I keep bringing up, in regards to Badlands, but... I'd really love to see something akin to 2013's Riddick with a Predator thrown into the mix, really grimy and pulpy and mean, with some other creatures thrown into the mix on whatever world our characters find themselves on.

EDIT: I've been reminded that it is actually Noland that gets the killing blow on the River Ghost, not one of the Predators. So yeah, the Predators never interact at all with any non-human prey on the game preserve planet where they dump all kinds of prey from around the galaxy to hunt. Cool! Then there's that mining installation that Noland is holed up in, implying the existence of some other sentient race (which may or may not even still exist), but nothing of real interest or intrigue is done with that idea, either.

David

How long before shooting are revealed the actors staring in a movie?

RoguePred1987

i'm thinking we'll hear about casting either by the end of this month or definitely next month.

Preydator

Yeah probably next month or early June? Badlands is supposed to start filming in July and if I remember correctly Amber Midthunder was announced in May 2021 and Prey started filming a month later in June 2021.

RoguePred1987

I think MikesMonsters said he was hearing it might even start filming in June. So we're definitely going to hear something at any time now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed